Corsair Voyager Air 2 Wireless Hard Drive Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Corsair Voyager Air 2 Wireless Hard Drive Review

Post by Apoptosis »

The mobile market has grown absolutely huge over the past several years, but sometimes we find that data sharing isn’t very convenient and storage space is limited on our devices. Thankfully manufacturers are designing devices to share your data across multiple devices, even providing you the capability to stream high definition video content across these devices – all hopefully trouble free. Last year we took a look at Corsair’s first wireless hard drive, called Voyager Air, which was a very sleek and impressive unit that we really liked. Today, we’re going to take a look at the more recently revamped version, conveniently called Voyager Air 2. We’ll take a look and see what this drive all has to offer and if there is anything new brought to the table.

Article Title: Corsair Voyager Air 2 Wireless Hard Drive Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/corsair-voy ... iew_151281
Pricing At Time of Print: $169.99 Shipped at Amazon
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Re: Corsair Voyager Air 2 Wireless Hard Drive Review

Post by KnightRid »

Cost is high and they really should include the charger! Wonder if this would work on my HP Touchpad. I guess maybe through the web interface?

Curiosity - Does anyone know of a wifi case available to put a hard drive in to make your own portable solution? It just hit me and I have not looked around yet. I guess the biggest part would be to find one with a battery pack in it. Also would be nice to be able to purchase an extended battery case for a device like this so you could use it even longer.....Corsair, just send me a check for that awesome idea direct to me :mrgreen:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

KnightRid wrote:
Curiosity - Does anyone know of a wifi case available to put a hard drive in to make your own portable solution? It just hit me and I have not looked around yet. I guess the biggest part would be to find one with a battery pack in it. Also would be nice to be able to purchase an extended battery case for a device like this so you could use it even longer.....Corsair, just send me a check for that awesome idea direct to me :mrgreen:
Corsair isn't a hard drive maker. If anyone was to sell it without a drive it would be a company like Corsair right? I don't think these sell in enough volume to justify an accessory line. I don't have access to sales figures, but I would be shocked if they made over 5,000 of these.
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Apoptosis wrote:
KnightRid wrote:
Corsair isn't a hard drive maker. If anyone was to sell it without a drive it would be a company like Corsair right? I don't think these sell in enough volume to justify an accessory line. I don't have access to sales figures, but I would be shocked if they made over 5,000 of these.
Thats what brought out the curiosity with Corsair not making hard drives :) Would be interesting to see this sold without a drive and using a SSD. Wonder how long the battery would last using a SSD...???

Any chance the case can be easily taken apart and a SSD put in? Might get double the battery time or more!! Ok now my doctor prescribed drug haze really has me curious :-k
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

simple math can figure out the power issue...

Take the idle power on the drive that is there versus the idle power on the SSD you have in mind. ;) The SSD I last reviewed used just 65mW at idle.
Follow Me on Twitter!
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

KnightRid wrote:Curiosity - Does anyone know of a wifi case available to put a hard drive in to make your own portable solution?

http://www.startech.com/HDD/Enclosures/ ... ~S2510U2WF
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

InspectahACE wrote:
KnightRid wrote:Curiosity - Does anyone know of a wifi case available to put a hard drive in to make your own portable solution?

http://www.startech.com/HDD/Enclosures/ ... ~S2510U2WF
That uses a power adapter not a battery though. :(
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

#-o #-o #-o ...fail on my part.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

What if you call Corsair and see what replacement parts add up to be for the Air or Air 2 minus the drive :)
Follow Me on Twitter!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I talked to Corsair about this today:

"No plans on selling VA/VA2 without a drive."
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Apoptosis wrote:What if you call Corsair and see what replacement parts add up to be for the Air or Air 2 minus the drive :)
LOL - Hi, I need some replacement parts. Ok sir, what do you need? Well, everything for the Air 2 except the hard drive. Thank you for calling Corsair sir but I will be hanging up now.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Apoptosis wrote:I talked to Corsair about this today:

"No plans on selling VA/VA2 without a drive."
Dammit. Well tell them to make a VA3 with a SSD drive and the same size or bigger battery. They can send my royalty checks to my paypal :mrgreen:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Or better yet a tip from Corsair of someone else that already offers something like that... LOL

The Patriot Gauntlet Node Wireless Hard-drive Enclosure (part number PCGTW25S) runs $76 shipped from Amazon and doesn't come with a 2.5" drive.

Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Seems like the Corsair is a lot better. They should send you one for review/comparison! People seem to say the wifi is slow where it buffers playing 1080p video and the battery doesnt last long.

Yes I want my cake and to eat it too LOL

It would be great to have one of these to use on my HP Touchpad tablet! Use it to watch movies/tv shows when i go outside to smoke cigars. It doesnt get a good enough wifi signal from the home network to play video so I have to copy everything to the internal memory which is SLOW. Of course this device would have to be able to play 1080p video over the wifi (I guess the touchpad could handle it - only reason for 1080p is I dont want to have to rerip my blurays or else downconvert them....aka lazy).