Samsung 850 EVO Series SSD Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Samsung 850 EVO Series SSD Review

Post by Apoptosis »

A little over a year ago we got our first look at Samsung’s 840 EVO drive, the first drive to prominently feature energy efficient TLC NAND along with really solid performance. It’s a drive that was a big hit with consumers because it was priced well and was super power efficient. Plus Samsung’s SSD marketing campaign didn’t hurt either (remember this gem?). This time around the 850 EVO still features TLC NAND but now it’s of the 3D Vertical NAND (V-NAND) variety making it the first to market on the client drive. While other makers haven’t even ventured into the TLC NAND market, Samsung is already on their second generation TLC drive. Available capacities are 120GB, 250GB, 500GB and 1TB with MSRP’s ranging from $99.99 to $499.99. They sent us over a 120GB and 500GB drive to see what we think.

Article Title: Samsung 850 EVO Series SSD Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/samsung-850 ... iew_154548
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Samsung 850 EVO Series SSD Review

Post by Kaos Kid »

Aaarg!

I'm on the fence between this and the Crucial MX200, there is less than $10 difference but this one gives a 5 year warranty vs 3 years for the Crucial. Which company gives better support in the event of a failure or other malfunction requiring an RMA?
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

The 500gb version is the one I have settled in on for my new rig.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

I can only go for the 250GB, this is so I can put it in my 1100T rig, and take the Kingston I've been using in that and put it in a rig for my boy. He has been using ANDY to play CoC on his computer and it stutters/lags a bit. Currently he is using a DC7800 w/ C2D E8400 and an old 80GB SATA I drive, I'm going to build him something better from an old G31M-ES2L board and a Q9450. That should keep him happy until I can get him a nice tablet to play apps on.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Might want to wait a week

Samsung has a longer warranty, is the number 1 SSD maker in the world and they are less than a dollar more this very second!

Crucial MX200 250GB SSD (100k / 90k IOPS) - $100.24 shipped
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (100k / 87k IOPS) - $100.49 Shipped (focus camera)
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Yeah, the warranty is a big reason why I'm leaning towards Samsung. I really like Crucial for their memory line, and the reviews for the MX200 are favorable but the 5 year warranty is luring me to Samsung. Gonna be hard to wait a whole week more, do you have inside info that prices are coming down further? :)