Intel NUC Kit NUC5i7RYH Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Intel NUC Kit NUC5i7RYH Review

Post by Apoptosis »

The Intel Next Unit of Computing (NUC) was released in 2012 to little fanfare, but Legit Reviews quickly fell in love with the tiny little PC and thought that there was potential in the potent little systems after the first time we used one. Over the past several years Intel has devoted more time and resources to the NUC team and despite increasing sales and millions in profit, the Intel NUC was never blessed with the opportunity to house an Intel Core i7 processor. We’ll never know why it took this long to It could have had to do with thermals, price points, not wanting to hurt other core markets or a whole slew of other reasons. All we know is that higher ups at Intel have had a change of heart this year and have put an Intel Core i7 processor inside the Intel NUC for the first since it came to market in 2012.

Article Title: Intel NUC Kit NUC5i7RYH Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-k ... iew_163523
Pricing At Time of Print: [urlhttp://amzn.to/1F5DHND]$549.95 Shipped[/url]
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Re: Intel NUC Kit NUC5i7RYH Review

Post by KnightRid »

Temps - OUCH!!

They should make the entire case into a water reservoir and have an external pump on a power cord with the block on the cpu to see if it could keep it cooler. Using the entire outside of the case as a reservoir and maybe having a fan enclosed in a cage on the top might do a nice job....but I am no engineer, I just have crazy ideas.....and I'm way too cheap to pay this much for a lunchbox :mrgreen:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

KnightRid wrote:Temps - OUCH!!

They should make the entire case into a water reservoir and have an external pump on a power cord with the block on the cpu to see if it could keep it cooler. Using the entire outside of the case as a reservoir and maybe having a fan enclosed in a cage on the top might do a nice job....but I am no engineer, I just have crazy ideas.....and I'm way too cheap to pay this much for a lunchbox :mrgreen:
Yeah, they certainly get up there and that was in a room that was 75F (29C) and I don't think that it abnormal or anything. I wish they would have made the enclosure slightly bigger or used a larger CPU Cooler. Maybe then they could even get a quad-core processor stuffed in there at 2.5GHz or something. For over $850 in hardware it was a bit disappointing to be honest as I had really high hopes for this model and have waited for Core i7 in a NUC for years. Hopefully some company will see an opportunity here and come out with a better case and cooler!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Calamar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Calamar »

I'm quite desperated with this guy. I bought one on monday and installed windows 8.1 pro.

After some hours of use it started stuttering, disk usage 100% with no reason and no reaction from system. Curiously background activities (like music on youtube) worked during those hangs (lasts from 20 to 40 seconds).

The more i used it the more often happened.

I thought I was the ssd, and replaced. Same stuff.
I thought I was the os, i used W7. Same stuff.
I thought I was the memory, tested. Then replaced both modules with tested for 2 years kingston set, then tested one and another. Same stuff.
I thought I might be SATA cable, i used external power and plug. Same stuff.
Hardware issues: I disabled, WAN, LAN, BT, IR, NFC on bios. Same stuff.

Maybe the may 2015 driver pack. I reinstalled W7 and tried with graphic drivers only. Same stuff.

Any ideas? This is totally weird, because it works, but with those ictus.

This is my third nuc :/ (personal use)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Calamar wrote:I'm quite desperated with this guy. I bought one on monday and installed windows 8.1 pro.

After some hours of use it started stuttering, disk usage 100% with no reason and no reaction from system. Curiously background activities (like music on youtube) worked during those hangs (lasts from 20 to 40 seconds).

The more i used it the more often happened.

I thought I was the ssd, and replaced. Same stuff.
I thought I was the os, i used W7. Same stuff.
I thought I was the memory, tested. Then replaced both modules with tested for 2 years kingston set, then tested one and another. Same stuff.
I thought I might be SATA cable, i used external power and plug. Same stuff.
Hardware issues: I disabled, WAN, LAN, BT, IR, NFC on bios. Same stuff.

Maybe the may 2015 driver pack. I reinstalled W7 and tried with graphic drivers only. Same stuff.

Any ideas? This is totally weird, because it works, but with those ictus.

This is my third nuc :/ (personal use)
Sounds like you are using the 2.5-inch drive slot for the OS. What drive are you using? Have you tried another SSD? The reason music worked when it locked up is because that was what was cached in the RAM. Sounds totally like a drive compatibility issue, so really looking forward to knowing what the model number is on that drive. Be sure to check the SMART properties to see if the drive has errors. I also take it you have all the drivers installed and didn't skip any? (device manager has no alerts).

Once I get the model from you and the answer on the drive errors I'll ping Intel for you.
Follow Me on Twitter!
Calamar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Calamar »

I tried two different ocx vertex 2 PN: OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G. Both showed all ok in crystal disk info. I've been using them for years in RAID0 with no issue, the day before were working fine as "games" drive in my X58 (not in raid).
I used a samsung 830 pro from my laptom, same results.

I've have had access to an M.2 SM951 128GB, but it appears at UEFI as legacy drive not as UEFI drive (?). Did your SM941 appeard as legacy as well?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Calamar wrote:I've have had access to an M.2 SM951 128GB, but it appears at UEFI as legacy drive not as UEFI drive (?). Did your SM941 appeard as legacy as well?
Rufus is gold... Check out this guide - https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/how-to- ... -ss/138296
Follow Me on Twitter!
Calamar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Calamar »

Actually I had no problems installing windows 8.1 as UEFI in the NUC and both the isntaller drive and the SM951 appeared as uefi drives at first boot.
Installation takes 5-7 minutes and boot is almost instantaneous.

I've received the second unit of the NUC5i7RYH as I RMAed the fist one. Same problems.
I've replaced all, keyboard, cables, memory, hard drive....

The problem seems related to the GPU. With this unit it takes less than 3 minutes to shoot a BSOD if heavens test or league of legends are running.

Would you mind to run heaven benckmark 4.0 for several minutes? Can you record GPU temperature? I've ran several test with power profiles (from cool, balanced, and max power) in all keeing fan at 100% and i get the same stuff.

All points to the memory but, its the one I've used in my laptop for 2 years under heavy duty works without issues.

Two nuc units can't be broken.

BTW, did you find sata port and the power cable a little loosy? In both units top cover seems to press very hard the motherboard.