APC UPS 600VA BE600M1 Battery Backup & Surge Protector Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

APC UPS 600VA BE600M1 Battery Backup & Surge Protector Review

Post by Apoptosis »

The APC Back-UPS 600VA BE600M1 was introduced in 2016 as the replacement to the APC Back-UPS 550VA BE550G that originally came out in 2008. I actually bought the old APC Back-UPS 550VA nearly a decade ago and it just recently started giving off an alert that the battery was on it’s last leg. So, the question that I was stuck on was having to put a new battery in my nearly 10-year old unit for $35 or getting a newer model like the APC Back-UPS 600VA BE600M1 for $56.89 shipped.

Article Title: APC UPS 600VA BE600M1 Battery Backup & Surge Protector Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/apc-ups-600 ... iew_209537
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: APC UPS 600VA BE600M1 Battery Backup & Surge Protector Review

Post by camaroguy1998 »

Great review!
I've been waiting for this review!
I have one question. How do you feel about having your UPS on top of your desk after 10yrs without it in plain view?
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Have several of 675VA versions around the office for power outage buffers. Couple of the 850VA ones as well.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

I have an LS700 410watt/700va/510 joules with the same problem, battery dead. I see replacement batteries online from various sources anywhere from $25-$35. Would you suggest that I just tank this UPC and get a new one? Mine is a bit stronger (also old as dust lol), but this one has a USB port. In your opinion, do replacement batteries for UPS's last as long as original equipment? Mine also weighs about 12 pounds, I could channel Fred Flintstone and knock down bowling pins with it lol

PS I did read the review lol where you say buying new was better for your particular device, but I thought perhaps with having better original specs, that fine line between battery replacement and whole unit replacement would possiblly lean towards battery replacement.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

The batteries life cycle is 4 years, less with heavy repeated use. I know everyone is "buy online" but stand the chance of getting a fake battery, thats bad. SO go direct from APC or go to some place like Batteries+ in town.

Looked up that model, from the look of it that is WAY old. I would get a new unit. Looks like a BR700G is the replacement model of your old one $150 from APC, $105 from Amazon.

If you have one, I would set down with a something like a Kill-a-watt meter and see what the equipment attached is actually pulling, with that number and how long you would want the power to be on you can size the right UPS. This is best as these run most efficient at certain levels. Your wattage shouldn't exceed 60% of the VA rating... 1000VA, 600W.

APC also has configuration tools as well where you can put in either load values or an equipment wizard.
https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/tools/ups_selector/

Also the Powercute software is pretty good about shutting systems down gracefully when the power gets too low (You can adjust the threshold)
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Thanks Bubba for the input, I think you guys are right, this old guy should just be retired--you know me, I try to wring every last bit of usability out of my hardware until it crumbles lol. After finding some forums where people had problems after replacing the battery (possibly due to other factors in the unit besides the battery part) It doesn't seem worth it to put this nag back on the yoke. I'll check out the new offerings, probably after Xmas when I see what the damage is to our finances lol.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

camaroguy1998 wrote:Great review!
I've been waiting for this review!
I have one question. How do you feel about having your UPS on top of your desk after 10yrs without it in plain view?
It's made its way to the floor next to my desk :)
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!