Intel 925X/915 Chipset & LGA 775 CPU @ Legit Reviews

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Intel 925X/915 Chipset & LGA 775 CPU @ Legit Reviews

Post by Apoptosis »

After not getting much sleep over the past 48 hours here is my first look at the new LGA 775 platforms...

The results are in and my conclusions are posted!
While some people might consider a small increase in performance a dissapointment you are jumping to conclusions too quick. The Canterwood chipset was using technology that was at the end of it's lifespan. By this I mean DDR1 memory was reaching the frequency limits of IC's and the AGP technology was about as good as it could get. Now we have new technology that is starting from scratch! I've seen the projected life of DDR2 and 16xPCI-Express and if all goes as planned this technology will eventually get impressive. I guess we should thank Intel for paving the way with new technology and actually getting it to all work together. It's one thing to look at each idea on paper, but another ball game to put it all together and to work the bugs out.
How do you guys feel about all this?

Review Link
Sublime
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Sublime »

Great article guys on how short you had to do all the work. From a performance standpoint it looks as if the AMD Athlon 64 3800+ is the way to go. From a price outlook it is still the way to go. AMD Athlon 64 3800+'s are now down to around $550 and you can "re-use" your old AGP video cards and DDR1 memory. The main thing I don't like about these new chipsets is the single IDE header. I have two optical drives. Meaning I can't use any more IDE devices. This FORCES everyone to buy SATA hard drives. GRRRR

A sad day for everyone that was looking forward to a leap in performance with socket 775! :ANAL:
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

As usual another great review. Outstanding job considering all you had to deal with this weekend.
I am very interested to see where this technology goes what with the dual cores 8-12 months away? Please do follow up on all the other stuff you couldn't fit in today.
I'll hold off judgement until you finish putting it through its paces and we see the full benefits of the new stuff.
Great job guys, take 4-5 hours off to relax
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

LOL 4-5hrs to relax. I think after that nate may need a few more than that.
A sad day for everyone that was looking forward to a leap in performance with socket 775!
I think the big news in the new socket is not the current preformance but the ability to scale faster than the current one. The other big improvement is the tempreture. All the sites i have been reading show an average of 5-10c lower on the new socket, and as capper can tell you prescotts run hot. i just built a 3.0e system for a friend and the temps were on par with my overclocked barton runing at 2v :shock: his system was idaling at 43c and toping out at 56c under load. so 5-10c would have made a huge differnce for him.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I agree, but won't make the same mistake with this that i made in buying my current Prescott (I do like it very much, but the heat issues are serious). I will, and I think others should, consider waiting until this developes further before investing in it.
There is so much up in the air right now that it makes no sense to drop a couple large on computer parts, rhen find out they are obsolete in 4 months, or that there were serious miscalculations in regards to what it can do.
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

u gotta take into account its still a young platform and hasnt matured... people said the same thing about the S478 at first... look where it is now!

Good balanced review imo!
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

No, i was just saying that because it is brand new, there are still alot of things to be worked out/ optimized. Nothing wrong with it, i just don't jump in when things are first released, i usually wait until it is fairly maintstream.... unlike my Prescott or Beta video player!!!!!
Great review as usual