The Future Of Handheld Gaming: GoForce 5500

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

While at the CTIA Wireless 2006 show we had a chance to stop by and talk to NVIDA about the latest handheld wireless graphics solutions. If you are interested in seeing how games like Quake III Arena play on phones then read on and see what performance can be had today thanks to the GoForce 5500.

Article Title: The Future Of Handheld Gaming: GoForce 5500
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Very cool technology... however my concern also lies with the functionality of mobile phones to act as a game control and the screen size. However, I know there are a few phones out there that have a keyboard that can rotate 90 degrees ... so those will be able to function better as a handheld gaming device.

And of course... whenever you bring 3D graphics to a mobile device... you then have to worry about battery life. Did NVIDIA comment on battery life?
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Pooreone
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Pooreone »

The phone will came with a battey pack you can strap to your back like a backpack to ensure your gaming will not be interrupted. :P

I honestly just want a phone that I can make calls on. I don't need it to do anything else. Guess I'm one of the few now.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Seeing how a full movie can fit on a 128MB flash card and the GoForce 5500 only uses 40mW on light 2D and ~170mW for heavy 3D even today's phones will last 4-6 hours when using software that needs rendering.
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

Hopefully this will be a lot more developed when I get my next cel phone! :)
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Pooreone wrote:I honestly just want a phone that I can make calls on. I don't need it to do anything else. Guess I'm one of the few now.

Nope, not the only one.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

bubba wrote:
Pooreone wrote:I honestly just want a phone that I can make calls on. I don't need it to do anything else. Guess I'm one of the few now.

Nope, not the only one.
not even close.... I wan a very small, light weight phone that has good battery life and thats it. No cameras, no video, no PDA crap. If i wanted a PDA i would buy one, if i wanted a camera i would bring mine with me. All i want is a little phone that i can put in my pocket and not have to think about until it rings.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

infinitevalence wrote:
bubba wrote:

Nope, not the only one.
not even close.... I wan a very small, light weight phone that has good battery life and thats it. No cameras, no video, no PDA crap. If i wanted a PDA i would buy one, if i wanted a camera i would bring mine with me. All i want is a little phone that i can put in my pocket and not have to think about until it rings.
Right-on!
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

im the complete opposite... i want a phone that can do everything!
Camera, Wifi, PDA functions etc... hence why i got what im using now!

Im a junkie when it comes to mobile techcology!
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

sad thing is, i work for a phone company and i hate cell phones!!! I have my radios and they work just fine for me. with that said you can guess where my thoughts on what i need a cellphone for lay. LOL
EvilCloudStrife
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by EvilCloudStrife »

that is totally insane for a cell phone, too bad i dont play on my cell phone, much less any hand helds