Overclocking The Intel Pentium D Processor 805

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Try running Prime 95 and/or MemTest86+ to see if the system or memory is throwing any errors.

Another quick and dirty test is running two instances of Super Pi and run two 32M tests and see if the system is stable. If Super Pi ends as the round is not correct the processors are not stable at the overclock and need to be lowered. Hope this helps out a little bit.
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Core Speed drops

Post by kappage »

Hello
Sorry about the delay forgot about this forum. I have now successfully overclocked my Pentium D 805 to 3.6ghz but every time i run any benchmarking program like prime95 SuperPI or the benchmarking program in PC Wizard 07 my core speed drops way down. I am pretty sure it is because the multiplier gets changed to 14x while testing. I got a screenshot of this using CPU Z.

Do you have any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance

Kappage

Oh yes forgot to add it also does it when i turn it down to 3ghz
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kappage »

after doing more testing in PC Wizard 07 while monitoring CPU-Z it still seemed to turn down the multiplier to 14x at some stage of the test :evil: :cry: :x :( :? :|
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Seems like its doing speed step, but its strange that it would do it mid load...

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Fix?

Post by kappage »

How do you fix it then??
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

turn off speedstep in the bios and when doing prime 95 you have to have two insances running to use both cores anyway.
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kappage »

i didnt use my bios to OC i use clockgen because my motherboard doesnt offer anything to allow me to overclock in the BIOS.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

I just meant turn off speedstep in the bios there should be an option to have it enabled or disabled. just change it to disabled.
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kappage »

I had a quick look but i saw nothing like SpeedStep the mother board is a D101GGC if it helps.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

Start a new thread it doesn't really need to be in the review forum as I just noticed :oops:
Nandro
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Nandro »

I just saw this thread and although it's an oldie it's still a goodie. Seeing that the D805 is $65 on the egg. I have a setup in my other room on a P5nd-sli that is not considered a great clocking board and still easily got 3.5ghz with my ultra 120. What AMD would compare to this now with the price cuts and is it still worth it?
Rig: Antec 900/Asus P5B Del Wifi/2G Corsair Camo ram/ E6600 @3.46 (9x385)/ EVGA 7900 GTO 730/822/ Trends USB DAC -> Jolida Tube headphone amp/ 21" Sony Trinitron
Headphones: Superfi 5pro/ Grado Sr-60/ Senn HD600 with Cardas cable/AKG 701/Sony MRD EX-71
"Now is blessed. The rest remembered"
-Jim Morrison