Corsair PC2-6400C3 Meets AMD's AM2 Processors

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Now that AMD's AM2 processors have been unleased into the wild, AMD users now have to make the transition over to DDR2 memory as DDR1 modules will no longer do the job needed. Today we take a look at 667MHz versus 800MHz modules, different memory timings, and a 2GB kit versus a 4GB kit of low latency memory. We managed to increase DOOM 3 performance by nearly 19 percent as a result.

Article Title: Corsair PC2-6400C3 Meets AMD's AM2 Processors
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

very interesting results! It was great to have layed out what you need to do in order to increase performance!
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

What an interesting article! It is great to see the board handle 4gig and get a nice increase in scores. Great job Nate!
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

Very good read! Can't wait to see the full run down of your standard benchmarks of 939-FX60 vs. AM2-5000+.
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

At first when I saw that pic, I thought that was how you put it in! :oops:
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

yeah the pic is really awsome :)
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

pcrobot wrote:At first when I saw that pic, I thought that was how you put it in! :oops:
haha yeah it's the new memory tree style :)
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

so wait. what your telling me is that your not suppose to install memory like this?

comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

=D>
Very well written article, I enjoyed reading it!
I was supprised that games get a performace boost with 4gb, I didn't think any games (except Oblivion etc) would even use over 2gb.

Also I kinda knew AMD still wouldn't be able to get 4x Dimms running 2T, but was hoping they could with AM2.....
wuzy
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: Corsair PC2-6400C3 Meets AMD's AM2 Processors

Post by wuzy »

I don't know what the author was trying to convey, but it certainly was one of the most biased review I've seen even if it was done unintentionally.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

wuzy wrote:I don't know what the author was trying to convey, but it certainly was one of the most biased review I've seen even if it was done unintentionally.
Please explain!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

kenc51 wrote:
wuzy wrote:I don't know what the author was trying to convey, but it certainly was one of the most biased review I've seen even if it was done unintentionally.
Please explain!
Wuzy... Look at the last couple lines of page one
Today we take a look at the importance memory plays when using AMD's new AM2 platform. Our goal in this article is to find the best memory settings for gaming and our benchmark tool is DOOM 3.
How can I be biased when I'm trying to find the best settings to play a game at? If you are saying I'm biased for using just Corsair memory in the article that too is not the case. Corsair Memory is the only memory company that has CL5, CL4, and CL3 memory at PC2-6400 on the market. Corsair was also the NVIDIA nForce 500 series launch partners and sent out their lastest memory to reviewers for the launch, so I had enough samples to run these tests with. I hope this helps clear things up. This article wasn't so much a "review" on Corsair's memory it's a look at the importance of the memory when it comes to performance on AMD's AM2 processor family.
wuzy
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by wuzy »

I appologize for my comments earlier.

At first it came to me it was biased because several AMD fanboy blog sites claimed your article showing "up to 20% improvement over Socket 939".
After carefully reading through the review and realizing it's a pure S-AM2 comparison with zero S939 involvement, I'm fully statisfied with the article.

In the future I would suggest make the distinction between the socket types used clearer even if it's just comparing on socket type.

Cheers