Overclocking the AMD A64 4200+ AM2 Processor

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
xander9791
Legit User
Legit User

OC a 3800 X2

Post by xander9791 »

I just got myself a 65 watt 3800 X2 for XMAS. All I've got is the stock cooler so far. I was wondering how long I need to wait for this thing to settle in. All I've got is the thermal pad on the bottom. When I first start up SpeedFan says 23-25 C idle, but now after a little use (online, music) it says more like 28-29C. This to me says that the heatsink isn't disappating much heat and sure enough the heatsink doesn't feel warm at all. Its been about a week. Should I wait, get some Arctic Silver from a friend, or buy a new heatsink? Thanks, Alex
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

if you plan on overclocking I'd suggest a new heatsink. The Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX is a great price versus performance heat sinks and has an adjustable speed fan on it. You'll be happy with this solution in the long run I would think.
AMD_Freaked
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

MAX?

Post by AMD_Freaked »

Hey all, I'm new here. I'm from the netherlands and I'm about to oc my cpu.. Only I'm new in this world. I have an AMD Athlon X2 4200+ Windsor. Just like the topicstarter. I have the ordinary cooler (which was included). I want to know how to oc it without having the risk of destroying my cpu. Can someone help me? :)

Thnx :)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

AMD_Freaked,

Welcome to the forums! Please make a new post in the AMD Processor Forum and list your full system details... What motherboard, what BIOS, what memory, what timings, and so on...

That way the community can help you without taking this topic off topic!
ijozic
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by ijozic »

ikjadoon wrote:A few questions: Are you using a M2N-E or M2N-SLi? As mentioned in the article, both performed similarly in overclocking. What BIOS are you running?
I'm currently running my M2N-SLI Deluxe at 300 MHz HTT (Athlon 64 3000+ @2.7). It worked stable for half a year but I had some restarts lately which I narrowed to chipset overheating (didn't replace the thermal pads with paste).
I think the cause of overheating was the GPU cooler which doesn't exhaust the air from the case and the location of the chipset which is closed down by the graphics card in its heat build-up area. I moved the graphics card to the lower PCI-E slot and added another 80mm fan to move some air below the GPU (especially over its VRM area and it lowered the VRM idle temperature by 7 degrees) and the system is stable now again.
Jejking
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Jejking »

I hope you guys will turn the heat on a AM2 65nm X2 4200+, I think there is going to be a large(r) difference.

When AMD is going to bring up another respin I think it is going to be REAL fun, like in the days of the shift from 130nm to 90nm spin 1 -> spin 2 (Winchester -> Venice) :drinkers:
Not anymore proud owner of a ATi Radeon X800XL ;)
simi_id
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by simi_id »

Hi,
I have:

Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X@ 4200+ 90nm 65W
2xDDR800 1GB Kingmax
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro.

How should I start to overclock to reach 2.8 Ghz ? Or what is a safe overclock with minimum requirements ?

What I've achieved until now.

HTT 240 @ default VCore
HT 5X or 4X - stable in both ways
RAM set at DDR800 which means DDR950 or something like that.
By default RAM is set at 1.8V but i increased it to 1.9V.

Also I've tryied 255HTT @ 1.5V VCore
HT 4x
RAM @ DDR667 @ 2.2V
but not so stable.

What else should I try to get a best overclock without increasing too high voltages and getting a small amount of performance instead of not increasing too much but to obtain a resonable performance increase than the default.

Thanks
- Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe (0903 bios)
- Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Windsor 65W rev.BH-F2 (200x11)
- Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
- 2x1GB DDR2-800 Kingmax 4-4-4-12 2T
- Leadtek WinFast PX8800 GTS TDH
- Akasa Eclipse-62 case + 12cm Enermax
- PSU 500W Enermax Liberty ATX2.2 (+12V1 - 22A, +12V2 - 22A, +5V - 30A, +3.3V - 28A)
...running Windows XP Pro + SP2 + nForce 9.35 WHQL + ForceWare 91.47 WHQL