Kingston HyperX PC3200 Registered Memory

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kingston HyperX PC3200 Registered Memory

Post by Illuminati »

We posted a review on Kingston's HyperX PC3200 Registered Memory today. As always, feel free to post comments and such here!
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I need some feedback!!!!
On the other hand this product comes with the HyperX name and I am confused how this product got the HyperX name. Kingston began offering the HyperX memory line for gaming enthusiasts and I in no way see how their DDR400 Registered Memory Module this fits in this category. It can be clearly seen that the TSOP design produces a faster memory module and since gamers are wanting the best, how is this "gamers memory"? Sure the Athlon 64 FX processor is designed for gamers and enthusiasts, but just because a memory module works on it doesn't mean it should be branded gamers memory! Gamers really hate having high latencies (3-3-3), but that made sense when we found out that timings of 3-3-3 are the JEDEC specification for Registered ECC DDR400 modules! Sadly it was JEDEC standards and not gamers that this HyperX module was built around.
How do you the readers feel about this? Should this product bare the HyperX line name?
Sublime
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Sublime »

Another great review! I learned a bunch from your conclusions about the JEDEC standards and the role they play.

To answer your question I don't think it should be branded HyperX, but still looks like great memory!

I can't recall any memory from Kingston being bad!
Psychosis
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Psychosis »

I for one think your are drawing too many invalid conclusions from your tests. If you think TSOP is better then why not use one of the TSOP HyperX modules instead of the BGA and see what differences it makes. I think only BGA is available in the ECC Registered modules BUT tht even stresses the point I am fixing to make. Most gamers do not use or care about ECC Registered memory. Why not see how the other HyperX non-ECC modules perform? I just don't want alot of peeps think that HyperX means slow memory since there are TSOP modules of HyperX. I think you should have pointed out in your review that HyperX is mostly made on the TSOP design and that you were using one of the few HyperX BGA modules. I would guess alot of your readers are now thinking they should not buy anything that says Kingston HyperX. It sometimes helps to point out some little things like in your reviews rather than leaving everyone hanging or getting the wrong impression.

Just my $.02 worth.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Psychosis,

When speaking of Reg PC-3200 memory Kingston does not currently make a TSOP HyperX module so a BGA versus TSOP HyperX review can not be done. ECC can be utilized on both the TSOP and BGA form factors, but since ECC can be disabled it does not harm performance.

Most gamers do not use or care about ECC Registered memory. Why not see how the other HyperX non-ECC modules perform?
I think the thousands of AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 users do care about memory memory like this! Why Compare Registered memory versus non-registered memory? That is silly and it wont work on Athlon 64 FX and Operton systems which are the users this review is aimed at.

As for HyperX we have looked at a number of their non-registered HyperX modules.

Look at some of our past reviews on HyperX:
256mb Kingston HyperX PC-3500 Memory
1GB Kingston HyperX PC-3500 Memory Kit
1GB Kingston HyperX PC-4000 Memory Kit

Hope this helped to clear a few things up and thanks for the .02cents!
Last edited by Apoptosis on Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
d3m0n5
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by d3m0n5 »

Actually

Kingston does do TSOP designs, but they are all unbuffered and non-ECC
KHX3200/xxx
KHX3500AK2/xxx
etc etc.

The ONLY BGA design Kingston does on it's HyperX brand is with KRX3200xxxxx [notice the R stands for Registered].

Since the Athlon 64 FX-51 needs Registered ECC modules, there are no other alternatives available to test in TSOP design format that feature both Registered & ECC the reviewer had to use the KRX parts.

Some other reviewers did point out slower performance on the BGA designs, however, considering that you're getting a module that's qualified to run on the new platform memory controller [on-board], you'll get a part that has the highest chance to run properly. In addition to this 'slower' performance you also have to realize that because the registered and ECC state of the module there will be some higher latencies involved. If you wanna read up about this type of stuff I highly recommend http://www.xbitlabs.com/ or http://www.pcstats.com/ or http://www.digit-life.com/ or http://arstechnica.com/ as they all have great articles on memory designs etc. Maybe Kingston will release a 2nd generation of this stuff and it will become even faster?

So at least when you use the KRX parts you can be sure AMD also wont turn around and say that you're not using proper/correct memory when you run into probs [not that you should have any probs].

Just my $5 worth :)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Kingston does do TSOP designs, but they are all unbuffered and non-ECC

Exactly what I was getting at in my post above. Kingston actually is looking at some new changes in their HyperX line that might cause a revamp of some of their products. I am not sure about their Reg HyperX, but as you noted this stuff is stable and good memory.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Kingston and I have been talking a bunch in the recent weeks and I am happy to announce that they have begun using Hynix IC's on their DDR500 memory modules! This is a smart move on their end and puts them back in competition with Corsair XMS 4000 and others.

To break even more news we have learned today that Kingston is also thinking of releasing a Reg DDR400 TSOP HyperX module! The module is in testing right now.

Kingston is making some smart moves on their HyperX line!