IDF: Day 1

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

IDF: Day 1

Post by Apoptosis »

Everything is going good here in Cali. Here is a quick update on what is going on here with Intel and the forum!

http://legitreviews.com/reviews/idf2004/
eric m.
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by eric m. »

that's interesting. i guess by the time "longhorn" ships, we will be using totally different hardware. having 40% of all desktop computers running dual-core CPUs will be interesting. do you know how the average consumer will rate performance if mhz is no longer being used?
P4C800-E dlx â–‘ 3.2e @4ghz â–‘ 9600XT â–‘ 510 deluxe PSU â–‘ danger den â–‘ hyperX
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

it's looking like intel is planning performance around the digital home. The fist step towards this was the new naming scheme with the launch of the Intel 560 processor.

It was funny though that when i was talking to Intel reps about how much power would be need to run streaming video across a wireless connection while watching a movie on the host machine they answered at least 2GHz... Kinda against the new format don't you think?
eric m.
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by eric m. »

haha. i guess even they aren't used to the new conventions. i am in favor of using terms like gigaflops because that is pretty much equal no matter what processor you are using. i think.

the whole "digital home" idea has been a dream of big companies for years. to get their technology into more places in the mainstream would be a goldmine for companies like intel. i remember when the PS2 first came out, sony was talking about their vision of having it be the center of a multimedia center. turns out it's just a video game console. oh well. i'm sure it's all going to happen sooner or later.
P4C800-E dlx â–‘ 3.2e @4ghz â–‘ 9600XT â–‘ 510 deluxe PSU â–‘ danger den â–‘ hyperX