The Free After Rebate Ultra 500W Power Supply

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

what does the motherboard BIOS say for the voltage rails that or do you have a volt meter? That 5V rails is off by a mile.
FTLOSM
Legit User
Legit User

Post by FTLOSM »

Those were readings from speedfan, when you say what does the motherboard bios say do you mean go into the bios upon bootup and look at something in there?

(as you can see I am not a bigtime computer guy), sorry for my lack of knowledge, just that msi and speedfan programs both give errors on power supply and the speedfan had those numbers that I posted (even double checked them) cuz yeah they are way out of whack from what it says they should be, i have no idea why or how the computer continues to work even...

I will see how long ultra says it will take to get a new one here, but if there is something in the bios ill post those numbers too (will reboot now and see if i can find anything in bios).

Bill
FTLOSM
Legit User
Legit User

Post by FTLOSM »

Ok not sure if this was what you meant, but I rebooted and entered bios saw one page where it talked about voltages this is what it said

Vcore OK
25vstr OK
+3.3V OK
+12. OK
system temp 27C
CPU temp 61C
Cpu fanspeed 4440 rpm

upon restarting and checking that then booting up i again opened speedfan
here and it says

Vcore1 1.62
Vcore2 2.48
+3.3V 3.23V
+5V 3.60V
+12V 12.22V

-12V -1.58V (this was the really off one before too)
-5V -1.08V
+5V 2.90V

Vbat 0.00V

I will be honest I know nothing about what all these mean, and ultra did say based on the info it would be an rma via email today,,, so I guess it is junk altho ti appears to work never would have known this if i had not installed that small msi program that kept saying check your power supply and trying to shut the pc down on me, that prompted me to get speedfan installed check out more and such, altho the bios part of my computer didnt seem to have any big red flags said OK in most every part as reported above...

If there is something else I can download or do lmk ill do it but at this point it sounds like ultra will help me out eventually with a replacement here.
Landon
Legit User
Legit User

Re: I have this and have a few questions...

Post by Landon »

FTLOSM wrote:I have this very same power supply, got the deal on frys $40 with $40 rebate, bought it in nov 06, just got the rebate this week March 07 not sooo bad,...
Ftlosm, what would you call bad? A rebate that was suppose to take 6 to 8 weeks and yours took 4+ months. I would say that is baddddd....
I think I will contact Frys and make a complaint. They do sell these thing and I am sure they carry more weight than I do. They should speak up for their customers if they are going to be a vender for Ultra.
FTLOSM
Legit User
Legit User

Post by FTLOSM »

In a bit of defence for them and clarification from me, i did buy it on Nov 6th but then there was about a week or so till it came, it sat on my desk for a bit more then I filled it out and sent it in (probably about 2-3 weeks after the 6th) more around the end of Nov, it was still slow in terms of 6-8 weeks time frame but I am just glad the check arrived and cleared if you know what I mean there...

My wirefly/inphonic ($200 cell phone rebate i got thru amazon.com) took almost a year! Took about a dozen phone calls to both wirefly and amazon, another 5-6 emails to both and a letter to the attorney generals office about it to get it resolved.

Strangely they could care less about the BBB or ripoffreport.com etc but once they got the attorney generals office notice I had a call back an email and a check in my hand within a week.

Bill :)
Landon
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Landon »

Apoptosis,
I just checked in to see if my rebate had arrived and it has. Hope it will not be 2 months getting here. Just thought you may want to know. Have you considered the free case yet?
Landon
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Landon »

Just ordered the Ultra case for $40 with a $40 rebate and free shipping. Hope I am not sorry for that, ha.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Got my notification e-mail on March 26th....

Dear NATHAN KIRSCH:

Thank you for your purchase of a Ultra product. We have received
your Ultra rebate and are processing your claim. Please allow 6-8 weeks
for processing. If you would like to check the status of your claim online, please refer
to http://www.rebate-zone.com/Ultra Your Claim ID is [removed for privacy].
Again, thank you for your patronage.

This is an automatically generated email that is unable to accommodate replies.
Please be aware that you have not been added to an email list.

Ultra Rebate Center
Customer Care
Rebate History:

Mailed: Feb 20, 2007
Processed: March 26, 2007
Landon
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Landon »

Just wanted to tell all that I have got the "free" power supply and "free" case and got my computer is up and running. The PS is running flawless with the correct voltages. The case is AOK. Plenty of trays for holding drives. The only thing I dislike about the case is the side vent. It does not match my motherboard processor. I removed the funnel and installed a fan in it's place. I am getting a 120 mm fan to mount in the rear and will remove the small fan on the side hoping to cut down on noise.
If you missed these "free" deals tough luck. That is if we get our rebates, ugh.
Landon
Legit User
Legit User

Power supply rebate

Post by Landon »

Apoptosis,
I got my rebate check :) for $40 this morning, 5/5/07, for the 500 watt power supply. It was mailed on 2/21/07. 73 days. They said 8 to 10 weeks to receive a rebate and mine took 10 weeks and 3 days. So I guess that is close enough.
Now I will be looking for the case rebate of $40 in about a month.
Have you got yours yet?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Mailed: Feb 20, 2007
Processed: March 26, 2007
Check Received: May 5, 2007

Took me... 74 days :) Just a bit over how long they said, but we did get the money... My check is from the Citizens State Bank of Clara City MN.... Interesting.... LOL
Landon
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Landon »

I just got my $40 rebate today, 5-19-07, for the computer case which makes it free. Sent rebate in on 3-30-07 which makes it 50 days. Very good.
Now I have a nice mid tower black case and a 500 watt power supply for the grand total of $0 dollars. WOW!!
Landon
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Landon »

Landon wrote:I just got my $40 rebate today, 5-19-07, for the computer case which makes it free. Sent rebate in on 3-30-07 which makes it 50 days. Very good.
Now I have a nice mid tower black case and a 500 watt power supply for the grand total of $0 dollars. WOW!!
I would like to say bravo to Ultra. The case I got had, like most others, a plastic front with a door. The door latches with a plastic tang. The tang broke off and I emailed them and they are sending just the door 'cause I didn't want to take my computer apart to send the whole case. I thought that was great service.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

This PSU went to a friend and has been used for the past 2 months in an overclocked Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 machine... Not too shabby! I'm glad some of you guys got in on the deal, but remember it's not totally free! We did have to pay for postage!
odie2190
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by odie2190 »

i have the exact same psu but with the mirror finish. mine was 60 and got it for free. :)
Landon
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Landon »

Apoptosis wrote:This PSU went to a friend and has been used for the past 2 months in an overclocked Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 machine... Not too shabby! I'm glad some of you guys got in on the deal, but remember it's not totally free! We did have to pay for postage!
NO postage from this end. Everything was free....case and power supply. And the door will be free of postage I am sure.
Landon
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Ultra Computer case and a change of heart

Post by Landon »

I put this in another portion of Liget but had forgot that I already had some relative posts here so and moved it here. My apology.

I was well pleased with Ultra (see above) until...
Now I have an issue with Ultra. I bought a rebatable computer case (that has a door on the front) with a lifetime warranty. After only a few weeks the plastic door tang broke off and would not stay shut. I have emailed them several times. For a while they told me that they would send a replacement door which would be ok with me but after about 12 weeks of back and forth emails. This is the last one I got:

Thank you for contacting Ultra Technical Support.

I regret to inform you that we cannot source individual component parts
for your case, and therefore, will have to replace the case in its
entirety. I apologize for the inconvenience that you have been caused with
this issue.

In order to start your exchange process, please fax a copy of your invoice
or sales receipt to 1-937-615-1764. Please make sure your contact
information
(including your email address and telephone number) is listed on this fax,
and mark the fax attention Keith.
When I receive your fax, I will call you to set up the RMA. Please be sure
to list your time zone (we are in Eastern Standard Time), and a good time
to call
you (between 09:00 A.M. and 3:30 P.M. E.S.T., for example). I will be
available to call you between the 09:00 A.M. and 3:30 P.M. E.S.T.

Please note that we require a major credit card issued in North America
for warranty replacement. RMAs will be handled by the point of sale on all
purchases made within the past thirty day time period.

Thank you for choosing Ultra Products.

Keith.
Ultra Technical Support.

Me again:
I had already gave them my telephone number and address and they had my email address. Sooooo now they want my credit card number also (BS). If they think I am going to tear down my computer and do without it and send the whole case and credit card number to them they are full of s***. I just wonder why they can't remove a door off another like case and send the door. They could throw the rest of the case away and still come out ahead. If I RMA'd I would have to pay shipping which is not cheap for another case to replace one that has their defect. I would think this is a case of trying to give the customer a hard enough time that he will give up and go away. They have succeeded!!
They can keep their cases and anything else they have. I will not do any more business with them and hope no one else does.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Free After Rebate Ultra 500W Power Supply

Post by Apoptosis »

how do you figure they want your credit card info? The full credit card number isn't on the receipt or at least in the US it isn't. I've had a northbridge fan on a motherboard go out and companies want me to send in the entire board even though i ask for a pin on fan that I can install in two seconds... remember we are dealing with foreign companies that love to micro-manage, so the people you are dealing with are just following orders from their superiors in Asia.
Landon
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Landon »

"how do you figure they want your credit card info? "

Why else would they say I had to have a major credit card issued in North America?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

sorry I missed that... I agree that information is not needed.

Do you have an RMA number yet?