The OCZ GeForce 8800 GTX Video Card Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

OCZ is well known for their high performance memory and power supplies, now they are trying their hand at video cards. OCZ claims that each and every GeForce 8800 GTX card they put out has superior overclocking headroom thanks to premium GDDR3 memory and a special screening process in which only the best video cards make it to the market. Read on to see if OCZ says it true and to see if it can compete with other brands of cards

Article Title: The OCZ GeForce 8800 GTX Video Card Review
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/514/1/
screwloose45
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by screwloose45 »

That’s insane. I’ve always known that OCZ delivers incredible products…But video cards? And with such a warranty, I’m speechless…Definitely going to consider OCZ next time I’m shopping for graphics cards.
Great review, Thanks.
CMcguire
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by CMcguire »

" As long as your product hasn’t been abused, misused, damaged, neglected, replaced, repaired tampered with or modified you can contact OCZ to get a bad part replaced"

couldn't overclocking be cosidered tampering or modifing the card thus negating the warranty?
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Very impressive!! Great article, Brian!

I DUGG it!
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

CMcguire wrote:" As long as your product hasn’t been abused, misused, damaged, neglected, replaced, repaired tampered with or modified you can contact OCZ to get a bad part replaced"

couldn't overclocking be cosidered tampering or modifing the card thus negating the warranty?
Technically yes, though OCZ is extremely overclocker friendly. Unless you volt mod your card it is highly unlikely that you would damage it while overclocking... unless your fan died.

Thanks Justin! Until I get my hands on the Ultra I'd have to say this is the best card I have used.
CMcguire
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by CMcguire »

Bwall wrote: Technically yes, though OCZ is extremely overclocker friendly. Unless you volt mod your card it is highly unlikely that you would damage it while overclocking... unless your fan died.
i'm just trying to justify my spending more money on the BFG OC2 8800 gtx that has similar speeds to the overclocked OCZ card but will still be under warranty..... otherwise its a :nut kick:
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

CMcguire wrote:
Bwall wrote: Technically yes, though OCZ is extremely overclocker friendly. Unless you volt mod your card it is highly unlikely that you would damage it while overclocking... unless your fan died.
i'm just trying to justify my spending more money on the BFG OC2 8800 gtx that has similar speeds to the overclocked OCZ card but will still be under warranty..... otherwise its a :nut kick:
Both would be under warranty! As BWall said OCing shouldnt be an issue since they built it to be OC'd!
With a $95 price difference(After MIR) justification goes to OCZ!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 1c3grabb3r

Heres a little Info for anyone considering buying one of these! (I AM!)
You need to make your purchase soon!

REBATE OFFER

Amount: $45

Manufacturer: OCZ

Product: GeForce 8800GTX Video Card (768MB, PCI Express x16, Dual DVI, VIVO)

Rebate Description: Eligible products must be purchased from an Authorized Reseller that is a National Rebate Participant.

Start Date: May 17, 2007

Expiration Date: May 31, 2007

Postmark Deadline:

Restrictions: Limit 1 per product per person, per address, per household. This offer is valid in the US only. Please read actual rebate form for more details and conditions. Does not apply towards refurbished items.

Rebate Notes: Eligible products must be purchased from an Authorized Reseller that is a National Rebate Participant. Not every Reseller is eligible for this offer. Must be postmarked within 10 days of purchase. Complete this original rebate form and mail it with a copy of the sales receipt and an original UPC code. End user must be 18 years or age or older. Please allow 10-12 weeks for receipt of check. Valid while supplies last. You may check the status of your rebate submission by calling 1-866-665-7405 or by visiting http://www.rebate-zone.com/ocztechnology.
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
brites
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by brites »

Ok... I've done some calcs and I would choose ATI... if money is no problem then it's just a matter of wish :finga:

but the price vs frame performance is for ATI a victory

with the beenchmarks of the review

This is in FEAR
...........................Frames | $$$ for Frame
OCZ 535$ 121 | 104 | 80 | 4,42 | 5,14 | 6,69
ATI 410$ 117 | 82 | 63 | 3,50 | 5,00 |6,51

this is in RS-Vegas
.......................Frames | $$$ for Frame
OCZ 535$ 63 | 52 | 39 | 8,49 | 10,29 | 13,72
ATI 410$ 83 | 62 | 44 | 4,94 | 6,61 | 9,32

this is in CoH
...........................Frames | $$$ for Frame
OCZ 535$ 150 | 121 | 97 | 3,57 | 4,42 | 5,52
ATI 410$ 122 | 95 | 75 | 3,36 | 4,32 | 5,47
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

could you do that in a spreadsheet like excel or open office to better understand what you are up to?
brites
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by brites »

ok... latter I will post it...

but I've already seen that the price of the GTX is promo till 31may so the numbers will go higher
brites
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by brites »

ok... here are my calcs...
Attachments
calc.JPG
calc.JPG (70.87 KiB) Viewed 10209 times
JMatrix
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Great Review! Question though...

Post by JMatrix »

Last fall, I bought three Dell XPS 410 computers for my kids. These machines shipped with GeForce 7300s which are not very good, so I’ve been looking to upgrade. Well, I just read this new review and I have to say I’m impressed.

The problem is that the power supplies in the Dell XPS 410 line are only 375 W (30 amp) and this review says I’ll need a 450 W supply as a minimum. Unfortunately, Dell doesn’t sell ANY upgraded power supplies for the XPS 410 and they use a proprietary connector.

So my question to you guys… do you know of any aftermarket solutions I can use? I looked at pcpower.com but they don’t seem to have anything for the XPS410. Am I just out of luck or do you have any other suggestions short of buying new systems? If I can’t use the GeForce 8800 GTXs, are there lower end models that need less power?

If I can solve my power problem, I’ll be upgrading all three PCs with the OCZ GeForce 8800 GTX Video Cards.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
brites
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by brites »

Please confirm the use of proprietary connector? because the review I saw of Dell XPS 410 the connector was 24 pins ATX... but even having proprietary connector there are adapters that can be used...

Finally I believe DELL, about a year ago, started shipping MB without proprietary connector...

:finga:
brites
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by brites »

And another ?? I didn't you choose another config? Dell sells XPS with other graphics 7900GS... :shock:
Tech_Greek
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tech_Greek »

All the dells I work on have a 4 pin on the board, and 20/24 pin connector - never seen a prop unless it was the gay 10 pin thing from the OLDER psu's...

The only thing prop was the shape of the PSU sometimes...

Post pictures of your PSU and connections and we'll tell you right away...

- Tech
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

I ordered the OCZ 8800GTX yesterday from Newegg and much to my surprise it was here in 24hrs!
NEWEGG ROCKS!

That presents a problem, I've been price watching and buying parts as they have a reasonable price drop and I still dont have everything to put the rest of the system together! :(

I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and order the rest and quit being a tightwad! :shock:

ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

Congrats on the new card!! :drinkers:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

you'll like it ;) Can't wait to see the finished product!