my new "router"

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

my new "router"

Post by bubba »

Soo.... I may have gone overboard on the a new DIY "router" :lol:

I decided to replace my old Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X. Its from 2015 and its rocking a SoC containing a 880 MHz dual-core CPU, 256MB of DDR3 RAM and 256MB of NAND storage, and 5x Gigabit ports. Slightly bigger than a deck of cards, power draw was less than 10 watts. I paired this with an old Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router converted to Access Point mode for my WiFi. Its all getting a little old. So I decided to update them both.

Then I found a Hunsn Micro Firewall appliance, this one actually https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B53P7DVD

Stumbled onto a lightening deal around the holidays for cheaper than a Celeron mini or Intel NUC. It’s a fanless barebones box with a Core i7-1165G7 (4c/8t) 4.7GHz, six Intel i225-V 2.5GbE ports, M.2 NVMe, M.2 WiFi spot. The M.2 drive is the super short 2242 type. I did not have any of those, so used a 1TB 2.5” SSD from the pile. Slapped 32GB of ram in it as well.

This new setup idles around 20 watts, but its also doing more than just routing. The base is Proxmox and I carved it up with virtual machines.
router.png
router.png (266.44 KiB) Viewed 3563 times
The docker hosts are Debian. I have two because I have completely separated the house LAN from my homelab LAN. Each of the dockers are running Portainer for easier docker management, Heimdall as a dashboard, and Tailscale so I can VPN back into the networks. On the house side I have a PiHole VM running for whole-house ad block. Working on adding in Uptime Kuma to track the services I have on my NAS boxes.

Also have an Ubuntu VM that is hosting the TP-Link Omada software controller. This is the software for controlling my new access point, or points if I decide to go the mesh route.

oh, and pFsense VM for the router work lol. Of the six physical ports I have 5 on the router VM, and one to sperate out the proxmox admin access to a management network.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: my new "router"

Post by camaroguy1998 »

Soo.... I may have gone overboard on the a new DIY "router" :lol:

That line right there told me, I would probably be OverWhelmed with your OverBoard! :lol:

One question, how many devices do you have hardwired in?
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I was happy when I got a TP-Link Deco AX3000 WiFi 6 Mesh System(Deco X55) 3 pack - :mrgreen:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

camaroguy1998 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:07 pm One question, how many devices do you have hardwired in?
For the house side, IP cameras, my desktop, Synology DS1515+ 5 bay NAS, a DIY TrueNAS Scale box based on Ryzen 5 3600 for hosting dockers and NAS duties, the TP-Link Access Point. Most of it in a 12U 4 post rack, my 3D printer sets on top of that.

Homelab side, Lenovo M920 Tiny hosting ESXI, and QNAP TS-459+ 4 bay NAS.

Tasks for the summer, replace my crappy 16 port Netgear switch with a 48. Also build a system to host Blue Iris for the cameras and get Deepstack or CodeProject AI setup on it so I can limit better what I get alerts for, like ignoring the cat when she gets the zoomies.

Also setup a Raspberry Pi with a monitoring software for the battery backups that will shut servers off nicely. I have 3 APC units. WiFi and Router are on one all by themselves. Should keep them on for 2ish hours.
KnightRid wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:18 am I was happy when I got a TP-Link Deco AX3000 WiFi 6 Mesh System(Deco X55) 3 pack - :mrgreen:
Set that up at my boss's house, need to add in a 4th node to cover his place. It handles all his crap quite well.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson