What if Bush has been right about Iraq all along?

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.

Is President Bush Doing a Good Job w/ Iraq?

Agree
70%
Disagree
30%
Neutral
No votes

Total votes: 10

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

What if Bush has been right about Iraq all along?

Post by Apoptosis »

What do you guys think? Is Iraq turning out okay or did we screw up? Voice your thoughts!
Maybe you're like me and have opposed the Iraq war since before the shooting started -- not to the point of joining any peace protests, but at least letting people know where you stood.

But after watching Sunday's election in Iraq and seeing the first clear sign that freedom really may mean something to the Iraqi people, you have to be asking yourself: What if it turns out Bush was right, and we were wrong?
Sun Times Article
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

still pretty screwed up, and now (again) he's talking tough about iran, NK, and a couple others.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

I think he is doing a bad job over all but i think iraq may make it out ok.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I personally think we shoulda finished it up back in the first gulf war, but I understand why the government thought it would be better to keep him in office. It seems silly to me to attack the same country within such a short time period not to finish the job now. I hope the new government gets set up, makes there own constitution, and then kindly asks us to leave and the UN to stay put. We would still have US forces there in the UN, but no longer playing the leading role.

All I can say is if Bush can pull off a stable Iraq without massive (25,000+) US troops on the ground when he leaves office he will be a very popular ex-president.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

i dont know about popular, if this works i will eat my words and give him credit where its due, but i still dont like the guy. I dont like his forgin policy or domestic, and i think he brings religion to the white house in the wrong way.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

While Nate is right that it should have been finished in '91, which everyone agreed with, the US had to tap dance for the rest of the Arab world and cut things short. Saudi Arabia, Syria, Iran, etc would have really thrown a fit had we finished it then.
I find it strange that people in America are always complaining. I remember Somalia and how people whined and sniveled that we needed to do something. The first Pres Bush sent troops to feed people, then when violence broke out, guard the UN etc. Then Pres Clinton was more worried about public image then doing the right thing and refused numerous requests for armor and more troops, which led to a mess that we all know as "Blasck Hawk Down". Then the same people who wanted us there whined and sniveled about getting us out.. That was the birth of the US dealing with terrorsim, they learned that the US people had no stomach for fighting and death, and that if they could inflict any casualties, then we would lose stomach for it.
Now we have the very liberal media focusing every day on what is going wrong, we idiots like Michael Moore that aren't held accountable for what they say or do (An independent investigator found 59 blantant inaccuracies in Farenheit 9/11, including doctored headlines and interviewees that were lied to and had what they said distorted).This really sways public opinion. People want to believ, but there really comes a point when people have to look at the other side of the argument. Look at the positive! Look at the elections, look at the people. The ones who are complaining are the Sunnis! Who are they, the vocal minority who had everything their way under Saddam.......
First, Saddam supported terrorism. Abu Nidal, the worlds most famous terrorist, was assasinated in his BAGHDAD apartment a few years ago by the Mossad. What was the world's most famous terrorist doing in Iraq? Second, Saddam paid the family of every suicide bomber who struck Israel, one of our allies. Third, there were weapons of mass destruction back in '91, alot of which are unnaccounted for and probably elsewhere in the world (Syria, Iran, Lebanon, etc) These will someday come back to haunt us. Also, the reason countries like Germany, France, and Russia (Where buddy is only half the word) threw such a hissy fit is they got caught with their hands in the cookie jar, they circumvented the embargo and were dealing with Iraq for oil vouchers, a blatant breach of what the embargo was for...did that money and stuff go to help the Irqi people? Hell no, it went to Saddam. Saddam ha people meet with agents from other countries to try to dstrike at the US, so how do we know there was no Al Quaeda tie? Again, the liberal media is so anit-war. We have lost less than 1,500 people over almost two year. any loss is terrible, but compare that to WWII and Vietnam. No one has been drafted, everyone volunteers, and about 99% of the service men and women believe in what they are doing, they are not happy about being away from their families and home, but they are making a difference...believe me, Joe is always going to bitch, unbless he is on leave.
Do I think Democracy is the answer? No I don't, different ethnic groups have different customs and ideals, democracy won't work for everyone and I do not think we should push ours on everyone.
Terrorism is not going to go away, as soon as you waiver a bit, as soon as you hesitate, as soon as they see any "in", you are through, these people are ruthless thugs, and the terrorist will never stop until we are all dead, us not doing anything, or just quitting is going to make them stronger andf the attacks will contiune.
As to the rest of the world, screw them. Africa is a mess because of France. Russia doesn't exactly have a great history as a free country, neither does Germany. France is going to whine regardless orf what anyone does. They are "Thinkers, not doers". What has stopped them from helping out in the world? Where are they in Darfur? Of course they complain because we aren't doing anything there? Screw the French. The Russians are not our friends. They have their own problems in Chechnya, and what they do is stay under the radar and keep it out of the Press, but don't for a minute trust the Russians or think they are our friends, they'd do anything to screw us.
What really bothers me in this country is the far left , who complain, complain, complain. You know, the same group that supports the ACLU, etc. The people who are almost embarrassed to be American, the people who ruined Christmas. Take pride in being an American, understand that there has to be rules. Deal with the fact that this country was founded on Christian beliefs (I am not a Christian), there is nothing wrong with the 10 Commandments, but people always want to do whatever they want, and if a rule or law makes that wrong, then it should be changed.... I almost give up. This is America, I'm glad people take pride in their culture from Africa and Europe, but take pride in our culture and our country.
Lets just give CA, OR, and WA to the liberals,, let them develop their own welfare state, figuere out how to pay for it, and move on.
President Bush is doing a great job, he did the right thing, even if it was the unpoular and hard thing to do, it was the right thing, and if countries like Iran and Syria, and N Korea want to support terrorism or develop nukes, we shouldn't talk tough, we should bitch slap them as well.
Amy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Amy »

Personally, I think President Bush's mistake was giving Saddam too much time to prepare for us. Remember? He kept saying, "we're going to invade if you don't let the inspectors in..." This went on for over a MONTH before we finally invaded! I think he should have acted quicker. Saddam had way too much time to get rid of evidence of WMDs and such, so we may never know if it was there when Bush said it was. I'm not going to say that what Bush did was the right thing to do, but I'm not going to say it was wrong. I have yet to hear anyone say how he could have done it better. Everyone just says that his ways are bad. What would you do differently? Personally, I don't think I could have done a better job, and I commend our President for getting off his a$$ and doing something about Iraq. Many people like to compare Bush to Clinton, saying how Clinton was so much better, etc. Don't you guys remember when Clinton bombed Iraq? Granted, it was just for a day, but it happened. Many seem to forget because they were too caught up on who was in his pants instead. So far, we've had 3 presidents from both parties who acknowledge that somethind had to be done, and finally we have a president who is doing it.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I think President Bush's mistake was giving Saddam too much time to prepare for us. Remember? He kept saying, "we're going to invade if you don't let the inspectors in..." This went on for over a MONTH before we finally invaded!
Actually they had 11 yrs to prepare....it was kind of a "Stop, or we'll say stop again" type policy. But you are exactly right Amy.
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

I think it was right all along, WMD or not. This just goes to show the anti-war people that Hey! Maybe it is not so bad after all!

There will still be killing and terrorism in Iraq, but the killing should go downhill from here. I was shocked that only like 40 people I believe were killed on election day.

Bush made the right decision and he is a good decisive leader, not an "I'll think about it for a few years" kinda guy.
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

Tell the families of the 1400+plus US casulites, 10,000 plus US injured/disabled, and 100,000 plus Iraqi dead "Maybe it is not so bad after all!"
tell it to your children and grand-children as they struggle to pay off the incredible debt run up to persue this war.
Bush made a decision, but lied about the reasons.
even if the choice was correct (and I don't believe it was)the method was wrong.
BTW more than 80 were killed on election day, so you do have to admire the dedication of the voters there, I doubt that many Americans would have turned out in those circumstances.