Pentagon tells Bush: climate change will destroy us

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pentagon tells Bush: climate change will destroy us

Post by Apoptosis »

Climate change over the next 20 years could result in a global catastrophe costing millions of lives in wars and natural disasters.. A secret report, suppressed by US defense chiefs and obtained by The Observer, warns that major European cities will be sunk beneath rising seas as Britain is plunged into a 'Siberian' climate by 2020. Nuclear conflict, mega-droughts, famine and widespread rioting will erupt across the world.

· Secret report warns of rioting and nuclear war
· Britain will be 'Siberian' in less than 20 years
· Threat to the world is greater than terrorism

Source
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Pentagon tells Bush: climate change will destroy us

Post by kenc51 »

Apoptosis wrote:Climate change over the next 20 years could result in a global catastrophe costing millions of lives in wars and natural disasters.. A secret report, suppressed by US defense chiefs and obtained by The Observer, warns that major European cities will be sunk beneath rising seas as Britain is plunged into a 'Siberian' climate by 2020. Nuclear conflict, mega-droughts, famine and widespread rioting will erupt across the world.

· Secret report warns of rioting and nuclear war
· Britain will be 'Siberian' in less than 20 years
· Threat to the world is greater than terrorism

Source

Ahh that's alright.......I only live on a Island on the extreme west of Europe............I guess I'd better learn to swim :ANAL:
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

Fortunately, Bush doesn't believe in climate change/global warming. :roll: ( or in science generally)
"The findings will prove humiliating to the Bush administration, which has repeatedly denied that climate change even exists. Experts said that they will also make unsettling reading for a President who has insisted national defence is a priority."
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

There are a lot of problems beyond a raised global water level associated with global warming. Some scientists say that the change in the temperatures of the Oceans can release a potentially deadly amount of methane into the atmosphere before water levels become an issue. As the temperatures rise in the Oceans vast amounts of methane stored in a frozen state thaw, not only contributing to more global warming but if it reaches a point where combustible levels are reached in the atmosphere lightning can and will ignite it, the consequences of which remain a topic of debate.

Lowering the amount of available Oxygen in the atmosphere suddenly and dramatically is one consequence. Scientists know that such conditions have existed in the past from ice core samples taken from the polar cap, the same samples with lower Oxygen content contain higher methane concentrations.

The ironic side of that particular issue is that methane is a major green house effect contributer, and if ignited the resultant CO2 from the burning of the methane isn't much better. It's feared that such a release of gases could be the tipping point of global warming.
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

I call BS.

http://theanchoressonline.com/2007/03/0 ... l-warming/

The Pentagon is just as likely being used as a political pawn of bureaucrats as is any other government department. Valerie Plame used her position to discredit the White House by sending an unqualified person to Niger. The Iran nuclear program report by the House was used as a political tool. Not only did Bolton (who is notoriously anti-UN), but the UN was upset at the report and listed many false facts and conclusions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 52_pf.html

So seeing how there is actually thousands of scientists who dispute global warming.

While there may have been some flaws in this documentary:

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1146929

The fact is that the debate isn't over and the evidence for it is even less than claimed. Less than 30 years ago, they claimed that the problem was going to be global cooling, now it is global warming. Every prediction has been wrong.

The best clearest understand that global warming has nothing to do with man, is the fact that National Geographic, which is notoriously pro-man caused global warming, reports that there is global warming on Mars. Remind me how many SUVs Mars has?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... rming.html

Finally, ask yourself how the Middle Ages were warmer than today with less SUVs?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... xhome.html
markkleb
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by markkleb »

im buying a houseboat and a fishing pole. :finga:
I am 24% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?

Biostar 590/AMD 6400+
2 Gigs of Ballistix Tracers
2 WD 160Gig in Raid0
8800GTs in SLI
PC Power & Cooling 510(highly modified)

Case Changes Weekly, lol
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

markkleb wrote:im buying a houseboat and a fishing pole. :finga:

That's the best overall answer I've seen dealing with this problem.

Nobody is going to waste a nuke on a houseboat out in the seas fishing. Way to go on that answer. =D>

Tim, I hear you on your points. They all make good common sense more or less.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
w00fd06
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by w00fd06 »

i won't exactly have to worry about this too much, unless the overall climate goes up >6*F, i should be good, and have a beach-side house! :mrgreen:
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Man made or not, you cant deny the climate is changing.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

I agree that the climate is changing. In Pa, we have had one of the mildest winters ever.

You can get beach front property if you like, but for me and my family, we're staying on dry land. :mrgreen:
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

ibleet wrote:I agree that the climate is changing. In Pa, we have had one of the mildest winters ever.

You can get beach front property if you like, but for me and my family, we're staying on dry land. :mrgreen:

Now that's funny. :P Just one state north of you, we're having a cold snap with lake effect snows more at this end of the month than in many years.

So, is it global warming and cooling only across state lines. Do you want to trade then? :mrgreen:
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
w00fd06
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by w00fd06 »

ibleet wrote:You can get beach front property if you like, but for me and my family, we're staying on dry land. :mrgreen:
Well i live fairly close to the Appalachians, and I'm fairly far away from the Atlantic. so what I'm saying is that if the climate gets warm enough (~6*F more), i WILL have a beachfront house, unless the mountains start flooding, which wont be good.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Global warning isn't going to destroy us. Like Tim Burton said, many scientists dispute this global warming "problem".

I believe it was this site where I found a link to a scientific study saying that the temperatures in the middle ages were even higher than they are now. The only thing that the global warming issue is doing is adding a good selling point for politics.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Its alright for people being all cozy up on dry land :finga:

Dan

PS. Not intending to start a heated debate here, but you must see that we can't keep on using natural resources like we are, there needs to be a big shift in the public mentailty, to conserve energy; reuse what you can; and recycle everything that is sensible to do so.
Image (<- Clickable)
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

The world has a way to keep life going. Warming, Cooling, whatever, Life goes on. Don't worry, be happy! Our brains are to small to figure it all out. Our planet will support life long after we are gone. Humans are the problem, not the planet.
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

vbironchef wrote:The world has a way to keep life going. Warming, Cooling, whatever, Life goes on. Don't worry, be happy! Our brains are to small to figure it all out. Our planet will support life long after we are gone. Humans are the problem, not the planet.
Bingo! The planet will survive....we maywill* not, the difference is how pleasant or unpleasant it becomes before that point.

Global warming, ice age, nuclear war, disease, famine, meteor/comet strike something will wipe us out, knock us back to the (next) stone age.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

vbironchef wrote:Humans are the problem, not the planet.
No one said the planet was the problem. We cause all the problems with pollution and our general lack of concern for the environment.

Just to prove a point on the smallest level, look at how many people don't care about flicking cigarette butts out of their windows. I average 20-30 cigarette butts per week in my yard and we don't even smoke. They are NOT biodegradable. Now just magnify that to include other littering, pollution, vehicle emissions, dumping, landfills, etc. The environment is designed to be self -renewing, but the amount of pollution we are putting into it is more now than ever and increasing exponentially each year. There is a limit to how much pollution our environment can filter out and its only a matter of time before we destroy it.

The next time you think about flicking cigarette butts, don't. We can all do our part to make things better for future generations...your children, and mine!
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

DMB2000uk wrote:Man made or not, you cant deny the climate is changing.

Dan
Of course, that has been the case since the beginning of time.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

The only ugly things on this earth are man made!
w00fd06
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by w00fd06 »

kenc51 wrote:The only ugly things on this earth are man made!
i couldn't agree more!

i do like my monitor, though