Philips 42" Plasma TV Problems - Blue Dots Randomly Appear

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
jklillibridge
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Philips 42" Plasma TV Problems - Blue Dots Randomly Appear

Post by jklillibridge »

Available settings on the volt meter are:

ACV (200V or 500V)

DCV (2V, 20V, 200V, 500V)

OHM (2M, 200K, 20K, 2K, 200)

DCA (2mA, 20mA, 200mA)

and a little symbol that looks like sideways triangle with a line through it horizontally and another perpendicular line coming through the tip of the triangle
jklillibridge
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jklillibridge »

Bigger photo
inside2.jpg
inside2.jpg (245.99 KiB) Viewed 20854 times
Bigger photo
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

AC 200v is good. as for where to place them, cant really tell from the picture, my eyes are to old :rolleyes: sorry try just following the traced out from the pots and finding a and putting hte positive on the correct side and the negative to ground
jklillibridge
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jklillibridge »

Stupid question, but what are the "pots"? I'm guessing they are the white screws that I will turn to adjust the voltage.

Also, I have added another photo below and circled the area where I first tried to test the voltage..where all the wires come in to the slots labeled for vscan,etc. I stuck my voltage meter pins down in the correct slot until I thought they were touching copper and I got nothing, so I'm assuming that might not be the place.

Is that where I am testing the voltage? Do I need to remove anything to test the voltage?
revised.jpg
revised.jpg (246.19 KiB) Viewed 20836 times
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Pot is short for potentiometer (in this case anyway :mrgreen: ). If you're not sure what a pot is you may want to rethink doing this work yourself. If you do decide to continue neither I nor anyone else on this forum will claim any responsibility if you mess something up.

Having said that, as far as where to test you want to find a spot that is directly connected to each lead on the pots. For example, on the one pot I can kinda trace the leads from:
file.jpg
file.jpg (158.78 KiB) Viewed 20790 times
jklillibridge
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jklillibridge »

Okay, I think I understand what pots are now...it's what I thought they were.

I actually did this just a few minutes ago:

Waited for the tv to start showing blue dots...paused it. Adjusted the VSet just a slight counter-clockwise movement...and bam! Blue spots dissapeared!

Although I don't know the voltages of what everything is at right now...so I kind of want to verify that so I can make sure things look in line. Is there any danger or risk to what I just did? Should I bother checking the voltages, or should I just seal this baby back up and hang back on my wall?

Thanks to all for the help. This has been very helpful and saved me cash!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

You should definitely make sure you check what voltage you set the TV to. You don't want to be too far out on the manufacturers specs as it could have unforeseen consequences.

Imagine if you had of turned the dial the other way :shock:

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
jklillibridge
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jklillibridge »

Okay, I will try and test the voltages tonight.

I guess I am a little frightened I will short it out, which is why I want to know exactly where to place the black and red leads from the voltmeter on the board. The diagram above with the stars is a good indicator, but looking for real specific, dummy-proof instructions.

Do I basically put my red lead from my voltmeter where Alathald drew the star on the photo and then put my black lead on a ground screw?

If anyone can help guide a rookie here, that would be appreciated...and I won't hold you responsible! Promise!
Last edited by jklillibridge on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

I just took a second look at the pic and it appears that there are some test points on the board...I've starred the Vscan, Vset and Vg points. You'll probably need to find a test point labeled "Ground" or "Gnd" and measure the voltage between the Voltage (Vsomething) test points and the Ground test point.
inside2.jpg
inside2.jpg (158.74 KiB) Viewed 20725 times
Last edited by Alathald on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I'm glad my posting what the issue was helped someone! If you are nervous about where to put the volt meter then don't do it, not worth risking a TV. Just be sure to lower the other two voltages I mentioned a bit also.
jklillibridge
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jklillibridge »

Great...thanks! I think I'm good now. I remember seeing those labels with mini holes in the board and wondered if those were test points. I'll look for the ground test point tonight as well and give this a shot.

One last, really stupid question. TV should have power, but should the tv itself be powered on? That is how I was doing it last night - power connected and tv turned on, but was not sure. I read some other thread about it somewhere else and it seemed like this guy was told to have power connected, but not have the tv on.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Well unless that circuit board has full power when the TV is on standby (which seems unlikely), then the TV will need to be on completely like it was the last time you tested.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Bump for edit on my last post, just wanted to be sure you used the correct test points. Glad we could help and if you can't find a Ground then you can probably use one of the screws or a wire that connects the board to the physical metal shell of the TV if and only if the whole TV is metal. Often manufacturers ground to the case so that it acts as a Faraday Cage and helps prevent interference. But it's probably best to find the proper test points and as Apoptosis said, if you're too uncomfortable with anything then don't risk it.
jklillibridge
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jklillibridge »

Success! I was able to test all the voltages tonight. I had my voltmeter set to DC 200V for anyone that is wondering (AC will not work).

I lowered all the voltages to the levels you listed earlier in this thread. Picture still looks good and no blue dots. TV is happily hanging on the wall again.

Problem solved. Thanks to everyone who helped out here. You guys rock.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Awesome! If anyone else is helped by this thread please post and let us know!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Mastercard stepped up and covered the service call and repair bill on my TV... just got the notification!

Mastercard for the win and another reason I buy things on my Mastercard!
Attachments
warranty_claim.jpg
warranty_claim.jpg (56.64 KiB) Viewed 20580 times
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

sweet
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

Nice one bro!!! It's always good to have a credit card company step up with the extended warranty. For those out there considering any electronics over $1000, you might want to actively use your credit card to take advantage of any built-in extended buyer protection. Lots of time, folks want to stay away from credit cards, but if you can get this protection (and pay off the card before the interests starts kicking in) it is something that everyone should at least consider.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

My parents bought my sister's first car with a credit card, and paid it off within a month just to get the bonus points!

Still, I only buy things if I have enough cash in the bank, but when your credit card company does that, you might as well buy it with credit and pay it off immediately.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
MCReighard
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by MCReighard »

I compiled the knowledge here on this forum. AMAZING! I took the base off of my TV....took out all of the many screws on the back panel...adjusted my voltages..........and BAM!!!! It's not as difficult as it seems. Use some common sense and it's as easy as pie. Blue virus is eradicated. e-mail me if you have trouble