Running car with hydrogen using WATER

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
SassyfrasT
Legit User
Legit User

Running car with hydrogen using WATER

Post by SassyfrasT »

Ok, so the concept of the fueling off hydrogen through the use of water intrigues me. I don't pretend to be knowledgeable in the field of science, however, like the rest of you, we all know that we cannot deal with these rising gas prices. Evidentially, we can transform our cars to run on water, along with the gasoline, saving at least a $100 a month (more as prices rise)???

They say the average cost of a gallon of gas will be $ 5 by Labor Day!!!!! That is outrageous. It will cost the average person $100 minimum to fill up!

Who out there with more knowledge of science and cars has an opinion on this?

http://www.runyourcarwithwater.com/?hop=
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Running car with hydrogen using WATER

Post by Methious »

Typically what their talking about is using Electricity to split water into Hydrogen and Oxygen then in the combustion portion of the engines cycle recombining the hydrogen and oxygen (burning it) and it turn back into water and is exhausted like normal.

Problem being it takes a large amount of energy to crack the water into Hydrogen and Oxygen, so much so that it would be more efficient to simply use the electricity to power an auxiliary electric motor like their doing with hybrids now.

Some truckers I do computer work for use water packs to supplement their fuel. On a larger scale engine their might be some advantage. They say their getting 1/4 mile more per gallon, on a big rig they consume so much fuel and make so many miles it adds up if it's more than a curiosity I'll be surprised. If it were a viable option the car companies would have already implemented it.

Gotta remember if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.
JuneBug
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by JuneBug »

Their is a documentary called "Who killed the electric car?" does a good job on why hydrogen is not a good idea right NOW, and why the best car ever made was crushed only after a few years or might have been less not to sure on my dates.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

About the only way that hydrogen will be efficient is if scientists make a breakthrough in their study of certain types of algae and bacteria that they hope will eventually be able to genetically modify to split hydrogen and oxygen through photosynthesis. One can dream though...
bobletman
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by bobletman »

Thats all well and good but the only problem with that is that when these cars are mass produced the price of water will go through the roof.
Q6600 Core 2 quad @ 3.0Ghz
2gb of patriot ram reduced latency.
500GB 7200 rpm Seagate (baracuda)
BFG nvidia 8800 GTS 512 MB G92 core
Zalman CNPS9700 LED CPU fan
Ultra X-Blaster computer case
P5K-E Wifi edition MOBO
G15 keyboard and G7 mouse
22 inch widescreen samsung
Z5300e speaker system
3Dmark06 score 15K
JuneBug
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by JuneBug »

bobletman wrote:Thats all well and good but the only problem with that is that when these cars are mass produced the price of water will go through the roof.
The planet is about 75%ish H2O a distiller is used to get solids out of liquids, a green house keeps stuff relay relay worm, what would happen if you modified a green house to work on an ocean to distill sea water? This is all in my head so i have nothing to back it up. :partyman:
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

If the car companies were to implement this technology the government would start adding more taxes. Our water bills would go from 50ish to 3-400 ish. Or it would need a specific molecular compound. Call me paranoid until it happens :axe:
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

So I sent the link to my old man. He's in his mid 70's and is an old engineer from way back. Here's his response:

If it is what I think it is ...

The "technology" has been around since the 1930's or even earlier ...

It is a little like the magic pills to put in your fuel tank to increase performance and octane rating ....

Moth balls in the fuel tank really made Model "T"'s run, but they burned valves very quickly.

I knew someone who had a little button on the dash - when he pulled it out, it would slowly move inward: injecting pure nitro methane into the intake manifold - the results were astounding!

In WW II fighter aircraft had a water/alcohol mixture to increase power for a short period to escape an enemy shooting at them.

High prices always bring these guys out ... A great ad has nothing to do with reality other than unloading your wallet and screwing up your engine. So far it takes more energy to split the water molecule than the fuel is worth.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
SassyfrasT
Legit User
Legit User

Post by SassyfrasT »

Well, this has all been quite enlightening and definitely makes for a good discussion. And yes that was an issue about the power it would take so separate the hydrogen from the water. What kind of batteries would that take and how many would we be replacing. I do know my initial reaction to this ad was, "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is". However, I do know that there has to be technology out there that we're not being told about. One theory I heard from someone was "the price of fuel is up so high and going to climb higher because they know that people are getting smarter, that with the dawn of hybrids, there has to be more advancement on the horizon where cars and their fuel is concerned and all the oil companies, their owners and investors are scared and trying to soak us for as much as they can before it's too late."

This makes you think. Yes, I know they are out there just getting richer and richer off of us. However, change is inevitable and it does make you wonder what IS on the horizon?
bromro
Legit User
Legit User

Post by bromro »

bobletman wrote:Thats all well and good but the only problem with that is that when these cars are mass produced the price of water will go through the roof.
It's possible to make a car that recycles the water that it uses so it uses it more than once. (but i doubt car companies would do that)
Dreamcrusher
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Dreamcrusher »

I saw this video a couple years back.
Click here

Here's another.
Click

It appears that anyone that comes up with this idea goes missing. Hmmm.

Price of water will go though the roof? IT FALLS FROM THE SKY!!