HOW MUCH IS GAS WHERE YOU ARE AND WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT IT?

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
SassyfrasT
Legit User
Legit User

HOW MUCH IS GAS WHERE YOU ARE AND WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT IT?

Post by SassyfrasT »

I loved the post in the other forum about gas prices that explained how they stammered when they spoke about their $11 B profits this first quarter. My husband feels those shareholders and owners in the oil business know we are in the dawn of change for fuel economy and they are "grabbing all the gusto" they can get. We all know how they are getting away with it. ***Congress is going to allow them to get so filthy rich while we starve ourselves or go without something, possibly give up our homes eventually because we cannot save gas by not going to work. If we are not close enough to public transportation, to walk or ride a bike, and the option to car pool is not an option, what are we to do????? We recently bought a house we love and it put my husband a bit further from work, (which was the only downfall to the whole situation). This all occured BEFORE the announcement that gas was expected to be $ 5 a gallon by Labor Day. ei yi yi yi. With my husband's ailing/aging parents to go take care of he often times gets a fill-up more than once a week. Since we also just paid off his truck and cannot afford another payment right now, I am shuddering at the thought of gas pushing $100 a fill-up.

And I don't know about the rest of you, but the only used cars really available the gas guzzlers!

We are talking about getting motorcycles!

****Congress won't stop them cause they are getting rich off of it too!!!! Yet somebody needs to tell the oil companies. NO, you cannot do this! Drop those prices down to reasonable ones as you are still going to make handsome enough profits. America is going to suffer greatly.

I think we all should save our receipts and ask for a GAS REBATE!!!! If the IRS can do it, so can the oil companies!!!

Oh and it's about $3.70 a gallon here on the eastern shore of MD. Probably more up near Baltimore.
skier

Re: HOW MUCH IS GAS WHERE YOU ARE AND WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT IT?

Post by skier »

$3.75 yesterday across Maine, and there isn't a whole lot we can do, because it's not like people can afford to be without transportation
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

mostly over $4 here, but you can find it for about 3.85 shopping around

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

$3.67 for 87 octane
$3.87 for 93 octane (just grabbed it this morning) from a BP gas station outside St. Louis
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

i use this site sometimes;

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

US and Canada

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

$3.85 for Regular Unleaded in Buffalo NY but this week I've seen rural stations as high as $4.09. NY State is considering dropping sales tax on gas if fed gov will follow suit but we all know with 2 oil men in the White House (though one never actually found any oil) that ain't gonna happen.

Over the course of the last 30-40 years we've put ourselves in this predicament. We cannot exist without (currently) gas-powered vehicles. The days of central employment are over. We all live in disparate directions and the majority wants to live outside the city proper so commuting is required. Both partners have to work to survive and seldom do they both work in the same place. We have largely lost interest in even small farming because we're too busy working to survive. We can't get anywhere without having to drive (or fly because our jobs don't give us enough time off and because we're all in too big of a damn hurry to just slow down for a minute).

We were ripe for the picking by the oil companies and they have taken full advantage of it.

Don't know if you're familiar with "Who Killed the Electric Car," a documentary about GM's foray into a high performance electric vehicle that could have been wildly successful. However, suddenly, with no explanation to the customers, the project was dropped, all cars were repossessed and subsequently junked in a secured location.

Try to find it and give it a watch.
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

Gas is around $3.80 USD/gallon or $1.30 CAD/L here. It's been significantly more expensive is USD/gallon (>$6 gallon, IIRC) in the past, when the USD was worth more, but this is pretty much the highest it's ever been in the actual CAD/L that we use.

I don't spend much on gas, I drive a bike, which is awesome on gas, if I'm ever taking a car anywhere, it's split at least 3 ways with other people.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

3.59 for regular here in south jersey :mrgreen:
skier

Post by skier »

martini161 wrote:3.59 for regular here in south jersey :mrgreen:
WHAT!? i was just in boston where it was 3.83-3.89
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

drove from Virginia Beach, VA to Camp Lejeune, NC yesterday to pick my little brother up for his leave. Topped the tank off before i hit the pavement @ $3.59 a gallon and filled up on the way back at $3.74
very glad the truck is his car and not mine lol my Jetta gets way better gas mileage. Very tired from the trip, so i have no ideas as to how to fix this growing problem.

when i started driving 5 years ago, gas was still just $1.70 a gallon. we're getting raped.
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

When I started to drive it was round about $1.00/gal give or take dime. so it has more than tripled since I started. Then I was driving a 83 Buick Riviera that got 10mph highway if I was lucky.

My grandpa always goes on about how things were cheaper when he was a kid, and in the same breath can tell me stories about the depression.

I'm taking it a step at a time and constantly looking for some place to cut back, but still keep some what the same level of comfort.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

This is why we need to allow massive drilling off the coasts. Right now we can't drive off of Florida where Cubans and Chinese are drilling. This makes zero sense. If they are taking it, why shouldn't we.

We need to just start drilling in ANWAR. Years ago, they complained, "That won't help us for years." Well, it has been years and we still haven't started.

Next we need to be allowed to start drilling for oil shale.

After that, we have a major bottle neck in our refining capacity. We need to allow Texas City to expand with the environmental laws of the late 80's, not the late 90's. Drive there and you will see it is pretty clean, and these were all grandfathered under the old system. So let's let them do it again.

Outside of Yuma a billionaire has tried to build a refinery in the middle of a desert wasteland. He can't, because the lawsuits have kept it in court. We need to get the nutjobs out of the oil business. Let the oilmen do the decision making.

Stop the crazy number of gas blends. Let's settle on a national one and go with it. Forget the regional blends, it just makes the supply chain burdensome.

Finally, lets stop using gas turbines for emergency power and go to nuclear that produces so much extra we don't need them. It will save thousands of barrels a day and lower the cost of electricity at the same time. So far, Europe has had no issues with nuclear power and I live in the backyard of nuclear reactor and have no concerns over safety.

Here is the absolute best two articles I have seen on the economics of oil:

http://mises.org/story/2940
http://mises.org/story/1936