About to buy Blackberry Curve - Thoughts?

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

About to buy Blackberry Curve - Thoughts?

Post by Illuminati »

I'm about to buy a Blackberry Curve in the next day or two and just wanted to find out if any other Blackberry Curve users have any comments or complaints. Thanks!
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: About to buy Blackberry Curve - Thoughts?

Post by pcrobot »

Well I haven't had any experience using the Curve personally, but it seems like a good phone. I was just at the AT&T Wireless store yesterday and I got to play with one. I am seriously thinking about purchasing one in a couple months because I need a smartphone.

Just my $0.02...
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Like we talked about yesterday at lunch, I've used it and checked out the Curve that a buddy owns and it's a nice looking phone. I just want the upcoming touch screen Blackberry.

The BlackBerry Curve 8320 smartphone has Wi-Fi, but their site says something about needing a plan that includes WiFi service, not sure what that means.

The Blackberry Thunder (the one with touch screen) is still said to be out in Q3... It's not AT&T though as it's Verizon for now :(

vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

A plan for Wifi? what? How do they regulate that, and why would you pay for internet service AND your phones data plan?

When I bought my Samsung i760 I got it because it had wifi. I declined all data service because I didn't want to double my cellphone bill.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Not "curve" related but I had a Blackberry 8703e and absolutely loved it. Very stable OS. The newer blackberrys look like they give you more options for scrolling through the menus (other than the thumbwheel).

One of the big things is the stability, I didn't realize how much I neglected that when I went in search of something "better." I now have a windows based phone (HTC Mogul) and (while I can customize it more) the thing is pretty darn unstable.

The only downside to the blackberry phones is that if you want data you have to get an addon plan that is a bit pricey (IMO). Not sure what carrier you are using, but ask how much the data plan is before making the move.

Good luck with your decision.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Our whole company uses them (myself not included), and they all love them
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I'll check with the Verizon guy I'm going through on Monday before I buy the Curve to see if I can get any more details out of him on when the Thunder is going to be released.

I just found a rumor that the price point is $200... that's pretty reasonable.

Also Verizon's standard Blackberry data package is $29.99.
Justin West
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Illuminati wrote:Also Verizon's standard Blackberry data package is $29.99.
Okay, that's what I was guessing it would be. I think a good chunk of that goes back to RIM.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
JohntechUPi
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by JohntechUPi »

This is a great phone but it does have some down falls.
Short battery life when using the Wifi options if I use the Wifi or leave it on the battery will have to be chanrged 2 or three times a day.
If you get one or have it already first thing go turn down the LCD brightness and turn off the Wifi your battery will last a lot longer and just trun them one when needed.
One-liner about business
Producing a system from a specification is like walking on water; it's easier if it's frozen.
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

This is the reply from my buddy that works for Sprint when I told him to talk me out of buying the Curve 8310:

"Dude all I have to say is No 3G support or WiFi support makes that phone blows. 3G support is basically highspeed internet if you weren't versed in that Wireless lingo. 4G networks are like sprints new wimax network due out later this year. But yeah as far as capabilities you are pretty limited on AT&T's network due the the fact that they don't support 3G devices. As far as hardware for the blackberry it does have a nice GPS and great call quality. "

AT&T's data package is also $30/mo. I haven't decided if I'm going to pick one up or not, but my current phone is available for upgrade in a week so I need to decide sometime. Let us know if you get one.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I probably am going to get one since I never can seem to wait for the next best thing... :) I'll report back after I've tried it out for a while.
Justin West
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Well, I have the curve now and so far I'm impressed with the net through Verizon's network.
In fact, I'm typing this on the Blackberry Curve now and it's going well.

I'll post here with any additional user experience comments.
Justin West
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

pictures!
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Unfortunately, our camera just went kaput this weekend... so no pics yet...

The only thing so far that I wasn't impressed about is the built in RIM Mapping app. The maps from RIM's servers are really slow to load... So I installed the Google Maps mobile app and the maps load MUCH faster!
Justin West