The Energy Non-Crisis

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

The Energy Non-Crisis

Post by vbironchef »

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7167011147 I just watched this video and I had to share it with everyone.
skier

Re: The Energy Non-Crisis

Post by skier »

i just heard like yesterday, that there was 10 billion barrels worth of oil under Alaska, which would last the entire USA ~290 days and would take more than 3 years just to tap into it and not be cost-feasable as a whole
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Did you watch the video? Please watch from start to end. Then post reply.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

It was long, but definitely worth the watch.

I recommend that people set aside time to watch this, it is a real eye opener.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Watching that was simultaneously the most depressing, shocking and inflammatory hour and fifteen minutes I've ever spent. It answered a whole hell of a lot of questions about what's going on with our economy and why.

Thanks for posting it!! Just don't know what we're going to do if it's true and it seems very much like it is all too true.

Jack
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
skier

Post by skier »

it's definately long, but at 40, 45, 57, 103, 107, 109 min its crazy, if you only listen to these sections and 2 minutes thereafter each, you will fully understand the scope of this atrosity
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

He has no scientific background nor facts to back up his points. He's a baptist mister. It would take over 3 years alone to drill the oil, and yet another three to refine it. We cannot accurately predict how much oil is in a place, its a guess. Saudi Arabia is 1/3 the size of the US, there is not enough oil in Alaska to be the same as there is in Saudi Arabia. Its complete fud.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

dicecca112 wrote:He has no scientific background nor facts to back up his points. He's a baptist mister. It would take over 3 years alone to drill the oil, and yet another three to refine it. We cannot accurately predict how much oil is in a place, its a guess. Saudi Arabia is 1/3 the size of the US, there is not enough oil in Alaska to be the same as there is in Saudi Arabia. Its complete fud.
Regardless, it's still some pretty compelling stuff, to me anyway. I, for one, don't give Bush credit (and never have) for being smart enough to engineer much in the way of grand schemes. That's why he has Cheney in there with him (and Rove). I mean, he couldn't even find oil in Texas. #-o However, if you remember a few years ago, he made the suggestion of drilling for oil in Alaska. All the environmentalists began shooting bricks out of impossible orifices and rallied to protect that state. Pretty well covers "plausible deniability," regardless how you feel about that particular issue.

His ramblings seemed to touch on that several year old mystery as to why we suddenly decided to go after Iraq when they had nothing to do with Bin Laden that anyone could prove along with the WMD red herring that got us in there to begin with. Afghanistan is harboring Bin Laden. OK, let's get Iraq!! Never really made sense to me. But I digress. Of course, "They tried to kill my Daddy."

Too, he is promoting his book. The successful way to do that is to raise questions which people would think will be answered by buying and reading the book. He could very well be a BS artist but I might just bite and buy the book to see how well he backs up his claims.

Jack
~Bob Dylan
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

If you do jack, let me know how that goes. I was wondering if there are more substantial proofs in his book, but everything he said made sense to me too.

What reason would a baptist minister have for lying on this kind of scale? If it's just to promote book sales, especially now that interest is no doubt peaking, he is finishing selling his book (and most of his other books are out of print).

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Okay, I'm not sure what to think about this guy. I have wondered how much oil we're hiding, and it wouldn't surprise me if at least some of his claims are true.

Regarding going after Iraq. I still believe that they had stuff, but when you tell the world that you're going to attack someone 6 months (or more) before you actually get there. Well, if I had something in my house and I knew that the FBI would be here in 6 months, believe me, I sure would make sure it's gone before they show up. If I remember correctly, the UN inspectors locked up a few locations, but neglected to tell us about some of them. Needless to say, those sites were empty by the time our forces stumbled upon them.

If you read the treaty with Iraq from the first gulf war, they broke many many many items in that treaty. I know, this is kinda weak. I don't want to get into a debate about the war over there. I personally don't think we should be there, but now that we are we are bound by the Hague to help establish a stable government. I'm not saying that we have always followed some of the things that we've signed.

From the Hague Convention of 1907:
SECTION III
MILITARY AUTHORITY OVER THE TERRITORY
OF THE HOSTILE STATE

Art. 42. Territory is considered occupied when it is actually placed under the authority of the hostile army.

The occupation extends only to the territory where such authority has been established and can be exercised.

Art. 43. The authority of the legitimate power having in fact passed into the hands of the occupant, the latter shall take all the measures in his power to restore, and ensure, as far as possible, public order and safety, while respecting, unless absolutely prevented, the laws in force in the country.

Crud, sorry for the hijack... Geeze, ole Lindsey is still rambling in the background. I'm sorry, I can't take this guy seriously...
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

dicecca112 wrote:He has no scientific background nor facts to back up his points. He's a baptist mister. It would take over 3 years alone to drill the oil, and yet another three to refine it. We cannot accurately predict how much oil is in a place, its a guess. Saudi Arabia is 1/3 the size of the US, there is not enough oil in Alaska to be the same as there is in Saudi Arabia. Its complete fud.
Alaska is about the same size a half of the lower 48 states.

Still waiting on the vid to load so I can watch what you all have.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Looked into buying the book. Waiting on a response because, as provocative as this is, I'm not willing to invest ~$150 into 8 DVDs and a couple of books especially given my current budget limitations. If they'll sell me a copy of the book for $10-$30, cool, but that's as far as I'll go

Jack
~Bob Dylan
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

vicaphit wrote:Image
Check the square footage
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

i would to, if that was just transposed over it from the same map its probably not accurate. maps warp close to the poles
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

square footage is going to take a little math, square miles was easier to find

Saudi Arabia 756,985 square miles
Alaska 663,267 square miles
Iran 636,296 square miles
Iraq 168,754 square miles (about the same area of Montana)

all from the National Geographic site
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

I have not watched the movie (and I won't, given what has been said about it already), but I will say that I automatically discount anyone who says the current situation with energy in this country is fine and dandy. That might be great to sell his book o' fire and brimstone, or whatever, but when I saw the words "Baptist Minister" earlier in the thread, the video immediately lost all credibility with me. Baptist minsters are not experts on energy production, no matter how "provocative" they are.

Again, no, I haven't watched it, but if the premise of the video (as is the title of the thread) is that the energy situation can either be drilled out of or isn't a problem, that person, in my opinion, has his head up his a--. Regardless of your stance on Global Warming or the environment, the cold, hard, mathematical fact is that oil is a limited resource. It only exists in certain places. Even in those places, it is becoming rarer. Domestic production peaked a long time ago. According to the Energy Administration Administration, if the United States was forced to rely solely on domestic production, we would run out of oil in three years.

Now, as far as this preacher-man goes, he's obviously just another hack out to scare people into buying his $150 set of DVDs and crap. If it were a $30 book, I'd concede the point that his materials might be worth reading, but to me that just smells like a money-making scheme. What sounds logical does not always turn out to be right. If everything were logical, then we wouldn't have problems with our economy because everyone would follow the logic set forth in economics textbooks which promises nothing short of the moon and stars if it is followed. Just because someone makes you ask questions doesn't mean that the answers they feed you from these questions are right, or that the questions are even relevant!

Fail.
Play
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz :: 8GB DDR2-800 :: eVGA 9800GX2 :: 7900GTX (secondary) :: abit IP35 Pro :: 150GB Raptor 10k RPM :: 2x750GB WD Caviar :: 120GB WD :: X-Fi XtremeMusic :: NEC 4551A :: BenQ DVD Combodrive (52x32x52) :: Dual 22" Acer AL2216W :: Thermaltake Armor Black :: Logitech Z5500 5.1

Work
Core 2 Duo @ 2.53GHz :: 4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz :: 3670 :: Intel PM45 Chipset :: 500GB 5400RPM SATA :: Integrated Audio :: BD-ROM/DVD Burner :: 16" 1920x1080 RGBLED
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I guess nobody saw the link for the book. It is free! Here is the link again. http://www.reformation.org/energy-non-crisis.html I am not taking sides on this, I just wanted to share the video. I found the link to the book much later. I would never buy the book. Just watch the video. It's like a hour and a half. It just makes you think who is really telling the truth. That's all I am trying to share.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Sovereign wrote:I have not watched the movie (and I won't, given what has been said about it already), but I will say that I automatically discount anyone who says the current situation with energy in this country is fine and dandy. That might be great to sell his book o' fire and brimstone, or whatever, but when I saw the words "Baptist Minister" earlier in the thread, the video immediately lost all credibility with me. Baptist minsters are not experts on energy production, no matter how "provocative" they are.

Again, no, I haven't watched it, but if the premise of the video (as is the title of the thread) is that the energy situation can either be drilled out of or isn't a problem, that person, in my opinion, has his head up his a--. Regardless of your stance on Global Warming or the environment, the cold, hard, mathematical fact is that oil is a limited resource. It only exists in certain places. Even in those places, it is becoming rarer. Domestic production peaked a long time ago. According to the Energy Administration Administration, if the United States was forced to rely solely on domestic production, we would run out of oil in three years.

Now, as far as this preacher-man goes, he's obviously just another hack out to scare people into buying his $150 set of DVDs and crap. If it were a $30 book, I'd concede the point that his materials might be worth reading, but to me that just smells like a money-making scheme. What sounds logical does not always turn out to be right. If everything were logical, then we wouldn't have problems with our economy because everyone would follow the logic set forth in economics textbooks which promises nothing short of the moon and stars if it is followed. Just because someone makes you ask questions doesn't mean that the answers they feed you from these questions are right, or that the questions are even relevant!

Fail.
Baptist minister or no, if you had at least watched the video I'd accept your criticisms, but as it stands you are bashing everything he has to say on what he does for a living. It's not really an informed opinion if you are basing it just on other peoples comments :rolleyes: . The reason you can only get his book with the DVD set now is that he's taken it out of print, so there are only limited copies available, but like vbironchef pointed out you can even get it for free now.

I'd urge you to watch the video and see for yourself what it is that he is saying.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)