ix-Nay the ideo-vay ard-cay

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

ix-Nay the ideo-vay ard-cay

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Sometimes I really worry about my sanity.

My wife and I got in a long conversation over the weekend about upgrading her mom's ancient eMachine. I told her you really can't upgrade an eMachine. I still have my old tower, I have a perfectly good processor and RAM all I really need is a motherboard, OS and a PSU to redo her computer and it would be just fine for them to use.

My ulterior motive is of course to get a new mobo; CPU (intel, this time) and Vista for me! (selfish schmuck that I am) :mrgreen:

So I was searching around ebay and stumbled on to a copy of Vista Ultimate Retail, new and unregistered in the unopened plastic box for $99 with 17 minutes to go. So I said, WTF and put in a bid. Couple of minutes later I was outbid by $25 so I bumped it up to $141.01. I wound up getting it for 138.52 which is about $40 cheaper than Newegg for the OEM and $140 for the retail version.

I'm happy yet very dismayed.......

Jack

Jack

So I still have no video card but I do have my next OS.
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: ix-Nay the ideo-vay ard-cay

Post by martini161 »

any particular reason you want vista? :P
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I hear that Veeestah discs are great for playing Frisbee :mrgreen:
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

Sporg wrote:I hear that Veeestah discs are great for playing Frisbee :mrgreen:
they are! there nice and shiny and stuff so thats the only way i can play without getting distraced :P
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

You guys are just Naysayers. Vista runs perfectly fine with SP1.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

Never had a problem with Vista aside from the fact that my old GPU wasn't DX10 capable, then the rig died with the CPU and I haven't gotten around to dual booting again as harddrive space is limited.
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Well, if that wasn't all very scathing :shock: ( :lol: ) I guess y'all are giving me the same look (in written form) as my wife did.....But thanks Vicaphit and StopTheKilling for backing me up!!! :supz: I'm batting .200 at least!

I've been thinking about a dual boot with Vista for awhile, especially with the 64 bit version. Like all versions of Vista, I've heard "mixed" reviews---heavy on the negative side but I figure I might as well get used to it. Actually, the systems that have come into the shop with enough power to run the OS haven't been half bad.

I'm fairly certain I've got 64 bit drivers for all my devices. I know there's a big drawback for gamers, too, especially for the older stuff but that's really not my thing so much as I just want to really delve into it which I haven't been able to do yet for the sake of fast turn around in the shop.

But, as my disclaimer originally stated, "Sometimes I really worry about my sanity"

After all, I could always slap it back up on ebay and try to get my money back.......and I think there's an extra XP product key laying around the shop on a dead machine, too. *I think*

Take care,
Jack
~Bob Dylan
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Sorry, was just poking fun. I didn't like XP either until SP2. Vista just seems like a "tweener" OS to me. It's probably not a bad idea for you to get more familiar with it though, considering your line of business. :)
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

Dual booting is just plain fun for me :D
I was working on a triple boot with Ubuntu 8.04 or 7.10 back with the 7800GT but with all Alathald's linux help, that video card kept Ubuntu from running.
If you find a good deal on Vista Ultimate 64-Bit, get it! It's a worthwhile OS to get to know as the number of friends who need computer help and come to me happen to use Vista. It could only get better with time and service packs. We'll see how things go with SP2 for Vista, but until I can afford a larger harddrive, I'm stuck with what I have.

If/when you do get Vista, be sure to post up here with your opinions!
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
aircommando13
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by aircommando13 »

I don't think it's worth more than $100 though really. Besides, I got mine for $15 through my sister's college, same with microsoft office.
Intel E8500 @ 4.0GHz
4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800MHz
EVGA 750i SLI FTW
Seagate 7200.11 500GB HD
EVGA GTX 260 55nm
Antec 630 watt PSU
Samsung 22x DVD/+/-RW Burner
Antec p182 Case
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

aircommando13 wrote:I don't think it's worth more than $100 though really. Besides, I got mine for $15 through my sister's college, same with microsoft office.
I didn't think I did too badly since the retail version I got is nearly $300 on the egg. Granted the OEM is only $179 but I got the nice shiny plastic box that I can use for many many many many wonderful things. :) If I was still a stoner.....

It's probably going to be a couple of months because I have to still get my new mobo and C2D CPU. I think for the sake of $$ I'm gonna stick with the E7200 or E7300 Wolfdale. From what I've seen on LR, the OC possibilities with those is pretty sound, right? As much as I'd love to get a Q6600, I'll just have to see what the finances are like. I think Vista would run a hell of a lot better on the quad which may be reason enough.... :mrgreen: Also, I just HAVE to get a Raptor for the OS. I'm too spoiled by my work PC to go with anything less. Damn, for someone who's broke most of the time, I sure am picky... :mrgreen:

Bear with me, y'all, I'll get it together eventually..... :drinkers:

Jack
~Bob Dylan
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

I'da sold you Vista Ultimate for $125, shipped too! :finga:
Topher
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Topher »

Ive worked in the computer industry for 15 years now and my transition from XP to Ubuntu Linux was much smoother and pleasant than my transition from XP to Vista. Not because of performance problems or lack of drivers but mainly because of the direction they are taking towards features and layout. They have successfully dumbed down the OS so much that I now find it painful to use. I'm a stickler for using the file system the way it was meant to be used. I do not like how Microsoft is continually trying to "hide" where you are putting your stuff with the idea that searching for your files is more important than knowing where they are.

I'm not trying to be a nay-Sayer or devils advocate, I've tried to enjoy the Vista experience, I really have. On two occasions now I've installed it and ran it for about two to three weeks until I just couldn't stand it anymore and went back to XP. I would like to say however, as each day goes by, I'm enjoying Ubuntu more and more. If it weren't for my PC gaming addiction, I do believe I could make the 100% jump to Ubuntu.

My T-61 Thinkpad is setup for dual boot between Ubuntu and XP, and honestly, I run it in Ubuntu more than I do XP. Never thought I'd ever hear myself say that about Linux.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

Topher wrote:Ive worked in the computer industry for 15 years now and my transition from XP to Ubuntu Linux was much smoother and pleasant than my transition from XP to Vista. Not because of performance problems or lack of drivers but mainly because of the direction they are taking towards features and layout. They have successfully dumbed down the OS so much that I now find it painful to use. I'm a stickler for using the file system the way it was meant to be used. I do not like how Microsoft is continually trying to "hide" where you are putting your stuff with the idea that searching for your files is more important than knowing where they are.

I'm not trying to be a nay-Sayer or devils advocate, I've tried to enjoy the Vista experience, I really have. On two occasions now I've installed it and ran it for about two to three weeks until I just couldn't stand it anymore and went back to XP. I would like to say however, as each day goes by, I'm enjoying Ubuntu more and more. If it weren't for my PC gaming addiction, I do believe I could make the 100% jump to Ubuntu.

My T-61 Thinkpad is setup for dual boot between Ubuntu and XP, and honestly, I run it in Ubuntu more than I do XP. Never thought I'd ever hear myself say that about Linux.
I totally agree about the file thing. they seem to think that every ones a stupid mainstreamer who probably thinks linux is an anti virus or something. were not all technically retarded microsoft, us knowing where are files are located doesnt mean were going to screw up our system! but im sticking with vista for my HTPC but mainly just because my not so technically inclined family is a sucker for the pretty coolers :finga:
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

In this line of work, PC repair and related crap, I'm seeing Vista more and more, so I feel at least some need to get more comfortable with it. At this point I can find my way through it enough to do what I need to do but I'd rather not feel so apprehensive going to it as I do at this point. The file organization is a major PITA, I agree and trying to find the right files to back up before a repair install seems to take longer than the repair install itself. But I attributed it to my lack of familiarity with the OS.

God, I want a cigarette so friggin' bad right now. I'm on my second day this time around. Wish me luck
Tim Burton wrote:I'da sold you Vista Ultimate for $125, shipped too! :finga:
I guess next time the urge to buy strikes me, I'll just pm you to see if you've got it!! :lol: Don't suppose you've got a new in the box Q6600 for under $100 do you? Or an unregistered XP Pro for less than $50? :mrgreen: (Just wishful thinkin'!)

Jack
~Bob Dylan