Good beef jerky/biltong Recipe

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Good beef jerky/biltong Recipe

Post by kappage »

Does anyone have a good beef jerky or biltong recipe?? id prefer it if it didnt involve a dehydrator. :-k
Main Rig: C2D 6850 @ 3.0Ghz, 2Gb DDR2667Mhz @ 833Mhz 5-5-5-15 Timings , XFX xXx 8600GTS @ 730/2260 , Gigabyte Ga-945GCM-S2L
JukeBox: Currently in an Upgrade but im too lazy to do it at the moment
I² keepin it real
KnightRid

Re: Good beef jerky/biltong Recipe

Post by KnightRid »

FYI - you can use an oven instead of a dehydrator for almost all of the recipes you can find online.

I make hamburg jerky myself, since i hate the leatheriness of regular jerky. I LOVE the "Grandma Lamure's Spice N' Slice"!! I do not have any recipes to make my own, so I just keep buying the packets.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Done it this way for a while

Part 1 skip to 5 min'ish mark, at the end even shows how to make your own liquid smoke.

Part 2

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak
* 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
* 2/3 cup soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
* 2 teaspoons onion powder
* 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
* 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* Special Equipment: 1 box fan, 4 paper air-conditioning filters, and 2 bungee cords

Directions

Trim the flank steak of any excess fat, place in a zip-top bag, and place it in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours in order to firm up.

Remove the steak from the freezer and thinly slice the meat with the grain, into long strips.

Place the strips of meat along with all of the remaining ingredients into a large, 1-gallon plastic zip-top bag and move around to evenly distribute all of the ingredients. Place the bag into the refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours.

Remove the meat from the brine and pat dry. Evenly distribute the strips of meat onto 3 of the air filters, laying them in the grooves and then stacking the filters on top of one another. Top these with 1 empty filter. Next, lay the box fan on its side and lay the filters on top of it. Strap the filters to the fan with 2 bungee cords. Stand the fan upright, plug in and set to medium. Allow the meat dry for 8 to 12 hours. If using a commercial dehydrator, follow the manufacturer's directions.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
DX
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DX »

might consider a smoker (liquid smoke just isn't the same) mmmmm not sure what your tastes are if you like mild, BBQ, spicy, tangy, fire, OMG hot or "Misa gonna DIE!!!" (JarJar Bink's voice)
AMD 960T OC'ed to 4gz
ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970
2 X G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)(16gb)
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2682-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kappage »

DX wrote:might consider a smoker (liquid smoke just isn't the same) mmmmm not sure what your tastes are if you like mild, BBQ, spicy, tangy, fire, OMG hot or "Misa gonna DIE!!!" (JarJar Bink's voice)
The hotter the better!

thanks Bubba thats really helpfull, not sure if im going to bother with the liquid smoke though!~!
Main Rig: C2D 6850 @ 3.0Ghz, 2Gb DDR2667Mhz @ 833Mhz 5-5-5-15 Timings , XFX xXx 8600GTS @ 730/2260 , Gigabyte Ga-945GCM-S2L
JukeBox: Currently in an Upgrade but im too lazy to do it at the moment
I² keepin it real