Ebonics Being taught in schools!!!!

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Post Reply
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 847
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:47 am

Ebonics Being taught in schools!!!!

Post by hercules71185 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:07 pm

Seriously, what is going on? In Jacksonville, Fl students in school are learning ebonics!!!!! Am I missing something here?

User avatar
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 2082
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 10:16 am
Location: St. Louis, MO USA
Contact:

Re: Ebonics Being taught in schools!!!!

Post by Skippman » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:11 pm

Yes, it's called the loss of English as our de facto national language.

User avatar
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 2192
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:08 pm
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Re: Ebonics Being taught in schools!!!!

Post by stopthekilling77 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:57 pm

Skippman wrote:Yes, it's called the loss of English as our de facto national language.
Its spanish now man, sucks to say but its almost the truth
MSI 970A-G43
AMD Phenom II X4 965BE @ 3.5 GHz
10 GB DDR3 1333 CAS-7
GeForce GTX 650 Ti OC 2GB
2TB Seagate HDD, 1TB WD HDD for backups,
Antec P-180B, Antec 450W PSU
ASUS 27" LED LCD Monitor
someday I will get a real GPU and some SSD's... :goodman:

hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 847
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:47 am

Re: Ebonics Being taught in schools!!!!

Post by hercules71185 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:29 am

when I was younger you used to be basically slapped for saying mines, or bad English in general, now they teach it...

User avatar
FZ1
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4448
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:49 pm
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Ebonics Being taught in schools!!!!

Post by FZ1 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:00 am

You be illin'
Joe

User avatar
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1765
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Re: Ebonics Being taught in schools!!!!

Post by InspectahACE » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:16 am

I got dissed by what looked like a 10 year old in Minnesota 2 1/2 years ago..I told him to stop running by me in the hotel hall since I had a couple of frames of my grandfathers medals(just finished his funeral at that point)..and the kid straight out told me " F*** you. I'ma smoke you wit my four five glock n***a!" ...my mom, my sister, her husband, my gf at the time was all there too..I couldn't believe a 10 y r old from Minnesota said that. I'd expect it in Compton..not there though.
i7 3930K @ 3.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Asus GTX TITAN SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3-1866 | Corsair H100i | Corsair Force GT 90 GB SSD | 2x Corsair Force GT 240 GB SSD | 450GB VelociRaptor | Sound Blaster Z | Corsair AX1200i PSU | Logitech G502 | Logitech G810| CM HAF-932 Black Edition | BenQ Zowie XL2730 27" monitor | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

User avatar
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 2082
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 10:16 am
Location: St. Louis, MO USA
Contact:

Re: Ebonics Being taught in schools!!!!

Post by Skippman » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:29 am

InspectahACE wrote:I got dissed by what looked like a 10 year old in Minnesota 2 1/2 years ago..I told him to stop running by me in the hotel hall since I had a couple of frames of my grandfathers medals(just finished his funeral at that point)..and the kid straight out told me " F*** you. I'ma smoke you wit my four five glock n***a!" ...my mom, my sister, her husband, my gf at the time was all there too..I couldn't believe a 10 y r old from Minnesota said that. I'd expect it in Compton..not there though.

In a harsher, purer time you could have said "Then draw" and been done with it. Natural selection at it's finest. And no, I don't condone killing children. I also don't condone absentee parents and a lack of corporal punishment. For far to long we've tried the New Age "validate everyone" idea. Guess what, it isn't working. People no longer have manners or know how to behave in society. "Please" and "Thank You" are phrases I almost never hear anymore. People don't say "Excuse Me" when they bump into you anymore. Kids run screaming through resturaunts and stores without fear of reproach. If I had behaved in such a manner I can assure you my parents would have brought back "Old Country" traditions and beat my ass.

The problem I see is this. The new age mentality told us that we physically disciplined our children because we were angry at them and beating a defenseless child is wrong. And I agree. A child should never be struck out of anger or a lack of patience. But we as a species have pain receptors for a reason. Negative reinforcement is the most efficent way to learn anything. Grab a hot curling iron by the wrong part, you'll NEVER make that mistake again. Our bodies are built for aversion therapy. "Time Out" just doesn't work. When I would misbehave as a child my mother would tell me "you will be disciplined later for this when I've calmed down". And sure enough, 30 min to an hour later I would get my spanking. And guess what, I turned out to be an alright guy if I say so myself.

User avatar
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1200
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Kansas City Area
Contact:

Re: Ebonics Being taught in schools!!!!

Post by Sporg » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:09 pm

Well, you still hear "excuse me" but the indignant tone changes the meaning and intention behind the phrase. :mrgreen:

[edit: not here, but hear...I suck]
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell

User avatar
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1765
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Re: Ebonics Being taught in schools!!!!

Post by InspectahACE » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:49 pm

Skippman wrote: In a harsher, purer time you could have said "Then draw" and been done with it

I did say go grab it while I was laughing uncontrollably. later on, what seemed to be a relative looked like he was following me so I stood up from my seat and he turned a shade of color I've never seen an African-American turn. Must've expected someone smaller. Dude didn't even look fit to be a parent much less a mentor to a kid. I don't wanna get started on nobody having respect or saying "excuse me" or "thanks" anymore. I do hear it often, but its usually from people 21 an over. I get it a lot with the old timers I hold the door for which is cool. Makes me wish my Dads 2 inch thick leather belt was still around.
i7 3930K @ 3.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Asus GTX TITAN SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3-1866 | Corsair H100i | Corsair Force GT 90 GB SSD | 2x Corsair Force GT 240 GB SSD | 450GB VelociRaptor | Sound Blaster Z | Corsair AX1200i PSU | Logitech G502 | Logitech G810| CM HAF-932 Black Edition | BenQ Zowie XL2730 27" monitor | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

User avatar
skier
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4450
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:29 pm
Location: Maine
Contact:

Re: Ebonics Being taught in schools!!!!

Post by skier » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:03 am

InspectahACE wrote:. I don't wanna get started on nobody having respect or saying "excuse me" or "thanks" anymore. I do hear it often, but its usually from people 21 an over. I get it a lot with the old timers I hold the door for which is cool. Makes me wish my Dads 2 inch thick leather belt was still around.
it depends on the upbringing, and how they are as a person, someone like me does(being 19) but i actually hear it a decent amount at school, because people are more courteous when its 10 degrees out or raining, and theres someone holding the door open for them so they dont have to also swipe their card to get inside, thats Maine for ya i guess :P
-Austin
Image
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups

User avatar
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1271
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:28 pm
Location: Waukesha, WI

Re: Ebonics Being taught in schools!!!!

Post by smack323 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:48 pm

dont worry Obama is gong to save us all.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - Asus GTX 1070 DUAL 8GB - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 27" LED

User avatar
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 2405
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:17 am
Location: DFW Texas
Contact:

Re: Ebonics Being taught in schools!!!!

Post by Dragon_Cooler » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:17 pm

smack323 wrote:dont worry Obama is gong to save us all.
HAHAHAHH


Seriously though.... WHY!!!!?!?!?!?

Image


I think the "melting pot" is becoming of one flavor.
Image

User avatar
DL13
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 491
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona USA

Re: Ebonics Being taught in schools!!!!

Post by DL13 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:45 am

hercules71185 wrote:Seriously, what is going on? In Jacksonville, Fl students in school are learning ebonics!!!!! Am I missing something here?
Am I out of date or what, what on earth is ebonice???
Gigabyte MA790FXTA-UD5 / Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.41Mhz / Mushkin 2X2GB 1333 / XFX 5870 1GB / Cooler Master HAF 932 / Win 7 Pro 64 / ACER G24 LCD 24"
Image

User avatar
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1765
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Re: Ebonics Being taught in schools!!!!

Post by InspectahACE » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:55 am

hukd on fonix wurkd 4 mee
i7 3930K @ 3.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Asus GTX TITAN SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3-1866 | Corsair H100i | Corsair Force GT 90 GB SSD | 2x Corsair Force GT 240 GB SSD | 450GB VelociRaptor | Sound Blaster Z | Corsair AX1200i PSU | Logitech G502 | Logitech G810| CM HAF-932 Black Edition | BenQ Zowie XL2730 27" monitor | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

User avatar
DL13
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 491
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona USA

Re: Ebonics Being taught in schools!!!!

Post by DL13 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:47 pm

They're just calling it different these days than.
Gigabyte MA790FXTA-UD5 / Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.41Mhz / Mushkin 2X2GB 1333 / XFX 5870 1GB / Cooler Master HAF 932 / Win 7 Pro 64 / ACER G24 LCD 24"
Image

hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 847
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:47 am

Re: Ebonics Being taught in schools!!!!

Post by hercules71185 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:20 pm

DL13 wrote:
hercules71185 wrote:Seriously, what is going on? In Jacksonville, Fl students in school are learning ebonics!!!!! Am I missing something here?
Am I out of date or what, what on earth is ebonice???
Yo yo dawg chekit out, dis cuntry iz st8 up illin yo, aint none yall hard like i iz. best not be frontin. nukas will getcha feathas ruffled

That is about as ebonic as I can get. As unbelievable as it may sound, I have never had a class in the subject.

User avatar
DL13
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 491
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona USA

Re: Ebonics Being taught in schools!!!!

Post by DL13 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:48 pm

hercules71185 wrote:
DL13 wrote:
hercules71185 wrote:Seriously, what is going on? In Jacksonville, Fl students in school are learning ebonics!!!!! Am I missing something here?
Am I out of date or what, what on earth is ebonice???
Yo yo dawg chekit out, dis cuntry iz st8 up illin yo, aint none yall hard like i iz. best not be frontin. nukas will getcha feathas ruffled

That is about as ebonic as I can get. As unbelievable as it may sound, I have never had a class in the subject.
Ooh man your series? Schools are not the same any more.
Gigabyte MA790FXTA-UD5 / Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.41Mhz / Mushkin 2X2GB 1333 / XFX 5870 1GB / Cooler Master HAF 932 / Win 7 Pro 64 / ACER G24 LCD 24"
Image

Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 795
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:10 am

Re: Ebonics Being taught in schools!!!!

Post by Tim Burton » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:00 pm

skier wrote:
InspectahACE wrote:. I don't wanna get started on nobody having respect or saying "excuse me" or "thanks" anymore. I do hear it often, but its usually from people 21 an over. I get it a lot with the old timers I hold the door for which is cool. Makes me wish my Dads 2 inch thick leather belt was still around.
it depends on the upbringing, and how they are as a person, someone like me does(being 19) but i actually hear it a decent amount at school, because people are more courteous when its 10 degrees out or raining, and theres someone holding the door open for them so they dont have to also swipe their card to get inside, thats Maine for ya i guess :P
The South is still very polite, but I've noticed that blacks under the age of 30 in the South have rejected the honor and respect that that region breed into you. Last time I was out there, I opened the door for a older black lady, her response, "Thank you very much, young man." It was virtually universal, but when I held the door for younger blacks the best they could do was grunt.

:?

Post Reply