What You Don't Want To See When Building A House

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

What You Don't Want To See When Building A House

Post by Apoptosis »

Went to look at the progress on my house, or the lack of, and ran across this. I had to take a picture because I found it funny that nothing is going right with my builder.

My house was supposed to be finished in April 2005, but is nothing more than a basement. A month ago I shook the owners hand in his office and he said my house would be framed in two weeks... That two weeks was up WEEKS ago.. I'm so thinking of buying the URL of the company (it's not bought) and making a blog of my expierence with nice pictures like these.

They say my house will be done in November now... I'm 34th to be built and they are framing number 22 this week. The first one still is not finished... :nut kick:
rayoflight
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by rayoflight »

nATE...I SAY YOU LOOK AT A NEW LOT...TOO FREAKING LONG TO WAIT...PLUS WHY DO YOU WANT TO LIVE SO FAR AWAy anyway :cry:
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

unacceptable
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Think I should buy the URL that is their company name?
grandamgrl
Legit User
Legit User

Post by grandamgrl »

I say go for it! That's some bullsh*t that you've waited that long. You could probably start a whole new house and have it finished before this one is done. Well maybe not, but still. :-k
Good luck with it!
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

I didn't even know you were moving. Where abouts, might I ask?
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
Brueck
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Brueck »

I can't believe you've waited this long for your house to be done. I remember you telling me originally that it'd be finished in March 2005. I can't believe that you of all people would let them screw you over like this. Good luck!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I'm thinking you need a new contractor, thats just not right. they say you will be built by april '05. here we are in july thats not right.

a guy at my work is dealing with building probs. but he went the self contractor way and hired crap workers and paid them crap. now he has till september to finish all inside finish work and get inspected and close on the construction loan.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Well I signed for the house in Aug of 2004 and from then till now property the listing price of the home i bought went up $25,000 alone. My builder has offered my deposit back, so it's not like they are making me stay...

If the prices didn't go up i would walk away, but right now $25,000 is making me stick around longer than i normally would.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Something you have to take into account is that while they say the price has gone up $25K..... that is their word, I'm sure with this many problems, other deals are collapsing, and people are leaving, which will cause the price to drop. not to mention a builder being this irresponsible and throwing things together just to get them done doesn't bode well for you.......your house may be done in November, but then you might have other problems from them cutting corners or hiding shoddy work.....just walk away.
Lastly, you have to consider the rate locks, etc. By the time you can lock in your rate on this house, interest rates may be well beyond the "$25K" theyt are telling you about.
We've talked through this whole ordeal, and I can't believe you have stuck it out this far..... in my opinion, nothing good is going to come of this.
Hell, and to think I was mad at my builder for not being finished on a Friday, and having to wait until the following Monday to move in
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Sounds like you got the shaft....should take a max of 90 days to build a house from start to finish. And them saying that the price has gone up 25,00 from last year, bull poop, they have gone up alot, but nothing near 25,000. As a matter of fact, a lot of materials here in the St Louis area have gone DOWN in the past 6 months.......... :shock: Just hange the boy by his nuts till he has your house done.......... 8)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I'm sure the cost hasn't gone up to build the house, but the base price of my home has gone up $25k and is selling at that price still even today.
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

i'd make them give me the top of the line lightings, toilets, showers, and sinks....
Amy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Amy »

grandamgrl wrote:I say go for it! That's some bullsh*t that you've waited that long. You could probably start a whole new house and have it finished before this one is done. Well maybe not, but still. :-k
Good luck with it!
Well, Illuminati and I signed contract in April, 2005...and ours is going up quickly -- we're looking to move in around Septemberish (took them a while to get started). When did you sign contract, Apop? A year ago? So, yes...he COULD have started a whole new house and had it finished :)
grandamgrl
Legit User
Legit User

Post by grandamgrl »

see there, apparently i was thinking clearly when i wrote that. OH well, either way good luck with it all Nate and i hope it works out well in the long run. But like that other person said, i would request all the BEST stuff to be put in there!!! :drinkers:
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

It was 4 months start to finish on our house. I just can't fathom it taking ayear to even frame it. Your house went up $25K in one year? Mine has gone from $207 to $430K in 16 months, so I would seriously consider writing off $25....prolly lose that in your interewst rate at this point.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

capper5016 wrote:It was 4 months start to finish on our house. I just can't fathom it taking ayear to even frame it. Your house went up $25K in one year? Mine has gone from $207 to $430K in 16 months, so I would seriously consider writing off $25....prolly lose that in your interewst rate at this point.
Man, that's a lot of cash for a house out here in this area................. :shock: For that kind of money I could buy a complete horse ranch along with a few hired hands to work it for a year................... 8)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Actually just refied and got the appraisal yesterday, $435,000. Paid $207,000 for it in October of 2003. so a $226,000 increase in 20 months.....
I'm just blown away that Nate has been as gracious and patient as he has, I would have exploded by now, and used that Bobcat to bury the builder and his crew.
Last edited by LVCapo on Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

There are a lot of builders in the area that totally try and take advantage of folks around here. But I also know several personelly that are very good and will have you in your new home in 90 days. It took my buddy to build my house (with my help) in 90 days to the day from the day that the contract was signed.................. :shock:
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

I think it's getting to be that way with good deal of the contractors, and then the end result due to them having to frame everything so quickly and throw walls up, etc. is a cruddy house. Call me old-fashioned, but I guess that's why I like to buy a pre-existing property, though one day I would like to build a decent house somewhere either in Long Island, NY, Connecticut, Maine, or Florida. I just hope that if I decide to do so, I don't run into these problems you're having Apop, because that is most definitely shifty and unacceptable.