Please watch for motorcyles!

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Please watch for motorcyles!

Post by XstollieX »

Friday night on his way home from work my dad was cut off by a van while on his motorcycle. I am not here asking for sympathy or pity. He sustained some major injuries but he will survive fortunately. These are some of the pics my brother in law took with his camera phone.
tank1.jpg
tank1.jpg (53.88 KiB) Viewed 8444 times
bike2.jpg
bike2.jpg (64.62 KiB) Viewed 8444 times
triptree.jpg
triptree.jpg (69.83 KiB) Viewed 8444 times
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Please watch for motorcyles!

Post by XstollieX »

forks1.jpg
forks1.jpg (65.56 KiB) Viewed 8442 times
frontwheel.jpg
frontwheel.jpg (52.43 KiB) Viewed 8442 times
windshield.jpg
windshield.jpg (86.59 KiB) Viewed 8442 times
Like I said I am not asking for pity or sympathy because my dad will be ok. All I am asking is that you look for motorcycles.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

asking or not, he is in our thoughts!!!

My friend was in a motorcycle accident YEARS ago, he took out a metal stop sign pole with his back and broke it and his back. He recovered, but the first thing he did as soon as he was able was to get back on a motorcycle! He said if he would have waited, he would have never gotten on one again. Just a thought for your dad as he recovers!!

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Yikes. I hope he was wearing a helmet, etc and fully recovers. My wife had an accident on a motorcycle about 10 years ago. She broke her pelvis and tore some muscles in her shoulder. She fully recovered mostly due to wearing her safety gear.
Joe
gibbersome
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by gibbersome »

I hope your father is doing better. If you need to ask any medically related questions, I'll try and answer some.

I'm starting my 4th year at med school and I remember an incident last year (ER rotation), a man was brought in after a motorcycle accident. His bike had slipped while going 90mph and he wasn't wearing a helmet. They brought his brain in a plastic bag. I don't think I have the courage to ride a motorcycle after witnessing that.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

FZ1 wrote:Yikes. I hope he was wearing a helmet, etc and fully recovers. My wife had an accident on a motorcycle about 10 years ago. She broke her pelvis and tore some muscles in her shoulder. She fully recovered mostly due to wearing her safety gear.
Yes he was wearing his half Helmet thankfully. I am going helmet shopping b4 I ride again. I don't usually wear them but I am going to start.
gibbersome wrote:I hope your father is doing better. If you need to ask any medically related questions, I'll try and answer some.

I'm starting my 4th year at med school and I remember an incident last year (ER rotation), a man was brought in after a motorcycle accident. His bike had slipped while going 90mph and he wasn't wearing a helmet. They brought his brain in a plastic bag. I don't think I have the courage to ride a motorcycle after witnessing that.
Thanks for the offer I will keep that in mind.
The Flying Pig
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by The Flying Pig »

I just recently started riding, and have to say that avoiding high traffic times on the popular freeways seems to help.
That's usually when drivers are "late to work" and drive much more recklessly.

Hope the van driver had insurance.. be sure to keep all medical records!
CPU: Intel QX6850 @ 3.68GHz (3.0GHz) | Cooler: Scythe Orochi | Ram: Corsair 8GB (4 x 2GB) XMS2 DHX @ 920MHz (800MHz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X48-DS4 | GPU: ATI 4870x2 @ 800MHz (750MHz) Core & 915MHz (900MHz) Memory | Sound: Creative X-Fi Titanium
HDD: Western Digital Raptor 10,000RPM 150GB (OS) | VelociRaptor 10,000 RPM 300GB (Games) | Caviar Green 2TB (2 x 1TB in RAID 0 for Storage)
Power: Corsair 750TX | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 | OS: Microsoft Windows 7 x64
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

sorry to hear about your Dad dude..It's almost a requirement to keep watch for bikes here in Vegas. Not sure about out there, but here they have no respect for the road so observing the surroundings is key.(they ride the lane divider blowing thru 2 cars on the freeway even at high speed) I hope your Dad has a speedy recovery.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I have been wanting a motorcycle for a couple of years now, and I keep hearing about these accidents. It seems that most motorcycle accidents are caused by someone driving a car. This fact makes me, and my wife, worry about riding them, but I still want one. I will definitely be getting a helmet, and going through the saftey courses.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by moon111 »

An old co-worker had a lady do a no signal left-hand turn in front of him without warning. Braking as hard as possible, he slid the bike until it was parallel to the car, tried to lay it down, but ended up hitting the car. It broke his leg. The sad thing was, the lady panic and took off. But the bottom of his leg was caught between the back bumper and the rear quarter panel. As he rolled, his leg didn't. The twisting of muscle and tendons drove the broken bones through his knee. They ended up amputating.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

moon111 wrote:An old co-worker had a lady do a no signal left-hand turn in front of him without warning. Braking as hard as possible, he slid the bike until it was parallel to the car, tried to lay it down, but ended up hitting the car. It broke his leg. The sad thing was, the lady panic and took off. But the bottom of his leg was caught between the back bumper and the rear quarter panel. As he rolled, his leg didn't. The twisting of muscle and tendons drove the broken bones through his knee. They ended up amputating.
This guy just made a left turn in front of him. Guy never even looked twice and my dad hit the front right corner of his van. We have three witnesses and the guy did stop so I suppose thats a good thing.
vicaphit wrote:I have been wanting a motorcycle for a couple of years now, and I keep hearing about these accidents. It seems that most motorcycle accidents are caused by someone driving a car. This fact makes me, and my wife, worry about riding them, but I still want one. I will definitely be getting a helmet, and going through the saftey courses.
I have been riding for about 10 years now. I have had several close calls all by idiots in cars. I live in chicago so traffic is pretty bad. I try and stay out west when I ride.
The Flying Pig wrote:I just recently started riding, and have to say that avoiding high traffic times on the popular freeways seems to help.
That's usually when drivers are "late to work" and drive much more recklessly.

Hope the van driver had insurance.. be sure to keep all medical records!
Freeways aren't nearly as bad to ride as local streets. At least on freeways everyone is heading the same direction, local roads people can make turns in front of you out of parking lots or side streets.
My advice to anyone getting a bike or thinking about it is to do it. Just take some safety courses and wear a helmet.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

My dad's been a rider for about 40 years. Everything from Enduro's to choppers. He now has a Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad with over 25K miles on it in less than 3 years. It's his passion, and I fear one day it's going to get him killed. I just hope that it never comes to that.

For me, the closest I'm getting to a bike is my Miata. I have enough trouble with people seeing me in that and it's bright red. To many accidents on bikes.

I hope your father recovers soon.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Skippman wrote:My dad's been a rider for about 40 years. Everything from Enduro's to choppers. He now has a Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad with over 25K miles on it in less than 3 years. It's his passion, and I fear one day it's going to get him killed. I just hope that it never comes to that.

For me, the closest I'm getting to a bike is my Miata. I have enough trouble with people seeing me in that and it's bright red. To many accidents on bikes.

I hope your father recovers soon.
I hear ya Skippman, but if we live in fear of dying do we ever live? I am a firm believer that when it's our time it will happen no matter what. My biggest fear is that i will be a vegetable. After my son was born i have been living a bit safer though.
slugbug
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by slugbug »

When I drove motorcycles I did with the attitude that everyone else on the road was out to get me. I had some close calls but luckily never had an accident. Glad your dad will be alright, that looked like a nasty spill.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

slugbug wrote:When I drove motorcycles I did with the attitude that everyone else on the road was out to get me. I had some close calls but luckily never had an accident. Glad your dad will be alright, that looked like a nasty spill.
Yeah it was a nasty spill! He shattered his left wrist. He is a lefty to make matters worse. He also broke his pelvis and his nose. He had surgery to repair his urethra which was separated on Friday night. He had surgery to try and get the wrist in the right position, the swelling needs to go down before they can actually fix the bone. The surgery today was to repair his pelvis. It sounds like he will be in a wheel chair for about 3 months at least. I feel bad for him but its better than it could have been.
jakegub
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jakegub »

I'm also a medical student, 3rd year, so still direct your questions at the slightly more experienced one, but I'd like to offer this up.

Watch out for motorcycles certainly, but more importantly watch out for everyone. I've done a psych, neuro, and 2 medicine rotations and I have to tell you that 85% of the patients I have seen should not be driving anymore, and 90% of them are still driving. There are so many people out driving that really have no ability to do so. You are driving along and you see a blue ford taurus, but what you don't know is that the driver takes a pile of pills in the morning bigger than the breakfast you ate, half of them with some sort of mind, mood, or reflex altering effects, and they are just minutes away from losing control of their vehicle.

It obviously is not quite that serious, and all percentages were made up on the spot, but the point is, everyone thinks they're an above average driver, and only about half of them can actually be above average.

Think about how bad the average driver is, and then KNOW that about half the people out there are worse than that.

Hope your dad gets well and stays well. Best Wishes!
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0GHz
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
2x1gb G.Skill DDR2-800 4-4-3-5
eVGA 8800GT SC with Akimbo cooling Kit
WinXP Pro
Dell 2405fpw @1920x1200

All wrapped up in a Lian-Li PC-G70a
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Bummer story today...i just watched the news and found out why the road by my house was closed and why i couldn't leave the house for half the day...apparently a guy in a small truck swerved to miss a stopped motorcycle(why it was stopped i dont know), but somehow the bike got knocked over and when the driver of it turned around to pick it up, he got hit by a semi truck who couldn't stop:(. happened in a matter of seconds i guess.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

best of luck to your dad.

I drive a motorcycle 4+ days a week to work. I have had some close calls but luckily never been hit or got in an accident. I dont blame the car drivers. they usually simply just dont see me. i just got to be extra alert and always watching people.
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Quick questions for the med students here. They are telling us that a small blood clot in my dads lungs is present but its nothing to worry about. Are they being straight with us or are they just telling us what they think we need to hear? Please be straight with me.
jedihobbit
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jedihobbit »

Not a med student but having had a parent with the small clot in the lung issue......they seem to be telling it straight. My thoughts are with your dad and family and wish him the best through the many surgeries current and future.
slugbug wrote:When I drove motorcycles I did with the attitude that everyone else on the road was out to get me. I had some close calls but luckily never had an accident. Glad your dad will be alright, that looked like a nasty spill.
For those just starting out or thinking about getting a bike....slugbug's advise is very very good. Before I lost my right inner ear I was an avid biker and had a wife that loved to ride (very lucky there), and that was the way I drove. In about 75 - 100K miles of riding I managed to only have to pull the vinyl out of my butt twice.
DreamCatcher v4.0 DOA >> SG01 Evo, TA790GXE, PII X4 945 (AQ H2O Cooled), BFG GTX280 H2OC, Seagate 7200.10 ST380815AS 80GB, 2 x WD5000KSs, TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF, MODU82+ EMD525AWT, XP Home SP2
Kermit v4.0 VIRUSed >> Ultra MX6, 785GM-E65, PII X4 955 @ 3.70GHZ(air), XFX GTX285, Raptor X, F3-12800CL7D-2GBPI, OCZ700MXSP ModXStream Pro, XP Home SP2
Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE @ 3.00GHZ(air), 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3