Chill Out music

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Chill Out music

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

Chill, Downtempo, ambient. Im not sure if there is a set name for it. I am still trying to find if there is one name or if there are different types all within the Chill rhelm. I started with house and chill a couple years back when I was working at my last job. Having some nice music to listen to while your working is always nice. Well this started when one of my old co-workers suggested we listen to music. He asked "Do you like house music?" Im like ummm what? Hes like "here, listen. I think you will like it." He then turned to http://www.dogglounge.com and streamed them while we worked. It was nice having music that had a constant simple beat. What struck me with it at first and even still, is most of the music doesnt have lyrics. This is nice for me because usually if it has lyrics I tend to try and listen and if its a song I like, I will sing along. This is bad when I am working and trying to concentrate. Over the couple of months it seemed like dogglounge changed up thier music a little so I wanted more. I stumbled upon http://www.di.fm and thier chill channel. I instantly fell in love. The beat wasnt there, which is fine, but it had the type of music that puts you into the zone. When you are trying to work on a project or a task you just zone into the work. At least for me anyway.

2-3 years later and over 4GB worth of chill music I have grown to absolutely love this music and want to know and listen to more. When I got my trailblazer it came with an old subscription to someones XM radio. Tuning through I found 'Area' which is a trance channel they have. It was my kind of music and I liked it so I stuck to the channel. I decided to get adventurous with the channels and sure enough, 4 channels up is CHILL!! Needless to say between, driving my car, my iphone, and the di.fm im getting plenty of chill. LOL

I really dont know why I had the need to share. A lot of people can stand chill music and even more so the house music merely because of the constant beat. My wife HATES it! I HATE TECHNO she says. This isnt techno, I hate techno too. DOESNT MATTER I HATE IT!! lol. Think of it as the normal music you listen to, without the lyrics. If you take out the words, it will will have a constant beat, this is just a little different. :) If you have never heard of this genre give it a try and listen to it for a while. Again I dont know if there is a set "name" for it. From the stations I listen to they call it chill. If you listen to the music already AWESOME! I am always open for more.

Here are a few songs that stand out in my favorites collection. The first being my absolutely BY FAR FAVORITE Song in chill:

skier

Re: Chill Out music

Post by skier »

the first one falls into a category of trance/techno, just at a slower pace than most, it's definitely a branch of techno though just has one element outside of techno which is the bongo drums(which appear to be a smaller part of the song)

the others that use the bongo/conga drums more heavily though i'm not sure what category they fall into(i think its actually just like 'bongo drum music' lol)

[my rant]
my current playlists that i listen to depending what im doing/driving:

illin' : Bob/rita Marley; Cypress Hill; Flobots; Method Man ; Wu Tang Clan (lol most would just call it old school rap, but with other random artists)
New Rock: Nickelback; godsmack; Puddle of Mudd; seether; shinedown; three days grace; theory of a deadman
Techno: Benny Benassi; Bass Hunter; daft punk; Darude; dj tiesto; eric prydz; Tune Up! etc..
classic rock/oldies: ACDC; Led Zeppelin; Skynyrd; aerosmith; donovan; springsteen; BTO; CCR; Foreigner; Jethro tull; steve miller band; allman brothers band; beatles; rolling stones
Classic Rock II: the slower songs that are good, but not what i want to hear when i'm driving
then two that only have like 15 songs (one being based around Mickey Avalon/Schwayze for when i play Killing Floor for some reason)(and the other is songs i want to have, but would never ever listen to on a regular basis: Jon Lajoie; Paramore; gym class heros; hot hot heat; Bitter Sweet Symphony; you get the idea...)

i only had the classic rock playlists up until last year though, guess i got with the times, sort of
[/my rant]
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Good stuff, I used to listen to XM Chill all the time when I had a subscription. Was great for concentrating on work - so I'm right there with ya!
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
review8
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by review8 »

I don't have XM radio in my vehicle, but have heard great things from family members that have it in their vehicles. Do you think that it is worth the extra money to have it in your vehicle and also to pay for the subscription? I think it would be nice to have an alternative to some of the radio personalities I hear everyday.
Mix one set of Bluetooth stereo headphones, an iPhone and the TV Hat and you have my dream on the go entertainment system.
rat6fink
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by rat6fink »

Reminds me of long nights of after-parties...Reminds me of a lot of ambient that I used to listen to...REALLY good stuff...ya might wanna check out dubstep, too...not as trancy, and more drums (obviously), but just right for the focus-factor and realxation quotient....try this
"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the war room!"

"Yes, very good. I'll take a bloody mary and a steak sandwich, and a steak sandwich"

ASUS M4A785TD-V//AMD Phenom II 1090T BE//Sapphire HD5770 Vapor-X//G.Skills Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1600//Intel SSD boot//500GB & 1TB Seagate//
Antec DF85//Under Water like a scuba diver //Win 7 64-bit//
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

review8 wrote:I don't have XM radio in my vehicle, but have heard great things from family members that have it in their vehicles. Do you think that it is worth the extra money to have it in your vehicle and also to pay for the subscription? I think it would be nice to have an alternative to some of the radio personalities I hear everyday.
I canceled my account a long time ago. It got to the point where I think I was able to listen to their whole playlist within a day. It got to be the same songs over and over and over again. While they are still good songs, its good to hear new material. The same went for the classic rock. The subscription is nice for the first few months, but you will see what im talking about in due time.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I have been using sirus/xm radio in my truck for 4 years. What I enjoy about it is the signal is everywhere. I can go anywhere and get a signal. I do agree that stations seem to play in a loop. I just change the channel and move on. No static, just a loss of signal when going in a tunnel or under a freeway. Lots of choices to choose from. I think its great because when I go off roading no matter how rough the road is I still have a signal.