Robin Williams for Pres

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

Nah that's silly. Japan's bubble economy broke off and stabilized- they're riding a rocky road like us now.

China's economy is booming, if anything I'd be worried about them.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

trust me, you have the wrong opinion of me. As for having been "there", I've been all over this world several times over. The Iranian government supports terrorism, plain and simple, and the Ayatollah and that side of the "government" (because we all know who really runs Iran, hates uour system and beliefs with a passion. I won't say all of them hate us, but their religious zealots are spreading the seed of hate.....and we have serious problems coming with people from that region. In my opinion, we need to get the Irqi army trained asap, and get our men out of there, or its going to blow up into something we, nor anyone else, wants.
Another factor in all of this is who is supporting our enemies. China, N Korea, Russia, France, and Germany have all given aid to our enemies in one form or another, as has Saudi Arabia, Syria, and a few others. Personally, I say we simply let Israel pimp slap them al.
I don't mind helping countries that need help, but i do have a problem with continually throwing money down the shitter over countries and people that won't even try to help themselves, who take our money and help, then crap all over us
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

Israel is probably more trouble than it's worth. I have no doubt that if America dropped its support, the Arab world would squash Israel with bruteforce. There like a million Arabs per thousand Jews.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Israel would stomp the entire middle east on its own....they basically done it every time they have been attacked.....and I am sure they will eventually do it again.....but that whole situation is the UN's fault to begin with
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

Well Israel has alot of US weapons, by support I meant we stop selling them tanks and missles and stuff. Yeah it was a UN mess.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Something else to consider. Russia supplied more arms to Israel than we did. Every single time we have had a spat with the Israelis, and even during times we haven't, Russia was trying to build a presence in the middle east, and gave Israel an awful lot of very bad stuff.
Just to make it clear, China, France, Britain, Russia, and several other countries sell and even give weapons to other countries, this is not something unique to the US
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

My work is going through the company and picking people out to go to class at night to learn spanish. mainly because we have a crew of guys that are fairly good but only one of them speaks/reads english (and not that good).

we are getting more and more people applying that DON'T speak english. so instead of sending them to class to learn english, if hired, instead they will send 6-8 people from the office to go learn spanish.

I asked why not the other way around... they said we dont want to offend them. I asked myself how the hell would that offend them, they hove a good job, and and get a class paid for to help them learn.

as far as I am concernd, if you go to live in another country you better know the language.

but any way, as for the other stuff you guys have been going round and round on... I'll pass on that part of the chat, not informed enough to make a sensable reply..
Amy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Amy »

capper5016 wrote:On the home front....English is our official language, live it, learn it....
I agree with almost everything you said in that post, but English is NOT our official language. That is a common misconception. Technically, America has not declared an official language. The only state that I'm aware of that has declared a language (I think) is California, and if I'm not mistaken, they declared both Spanish and English to be official...
Amy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Amy »

Nobahar wrote:I'm surprised all you guys are supporting. I disagree with alot of his points, mostly on the premise that America is a country of immigrants- if you want to change that philosophy around and be less 'soft' as you put it, then you're doing a great injustice to democracy and what it means to be America.
First of all, you must realize that Robin Williams is a comedian. These are extremist viewpoints. It's like PETA -- the points ring some truth, but they are extreme. I don't think anyone really 100% agrees with him -- Robin Williams probably doesn't agree with himself! I just think that for most of us, we'd like to see America step towards that direction, but not go all the way...
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

bubba wrote:My work is going through the company and picking people out to go to class at night to learn spanish. mainly because we have a crew of guys that are fairly good but only one of them speaks/reads english (and not that good).

we are getting more and more people applying that DON'T speak english. so instead of sending them to class to learn english, if hired, instead they will send 6-8 people from the office to go learn spanish.

I asked why not the other way around... they said we dont want to offend them. I asked myself how the hell would that offend them, they hove a good job, and and get a class paid for to help them learn.

as far as I am concernd, if you go to live in another country you better know the language.

but any way, as for the other stuff you guys have been going round and round on... I'll pass on that part of the chat, not informed enough to make a sensable reply..
"We don't pay people to offend them"; damn, sounds like a leftist company to me; it's not offensive to teach another language to a different culture schema. Personally, I believe if Mexicans (I know they're called Hispanics, that's my shorthand for em) and Spanish people, along with any other culture, wants to live in this country, then they need to learn to speak the Majority language here, which is indeed English, though we haven't officially adapted it. It would make more sense and save more money if you taught the Spanish-speaking people in your workplace that you're talking about to learn English; it makes no sense to take a lot of American, English-speaking people and spend a lot of company time and money to teach a language that would take a little while to teach some of them. They should make speaking the Majority language in this country a requirement for those who seek employment in this country. I don't know, but personally I think Political Correctness has taken over the country, and I am the least PC person you'll meet, because I tend to be brutally honest about my standpoints on certain subjects.
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

capper5016 wrote:Man, I don't like Robin Williams.....but if thats his platform, he has my vote right now......I would definitely support him for President
what a surprise... i'm 180 degrees the other way. i like him, but don't like that platform. it seems too unamerican and more like nazi germany.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

See, I don't see it as "Un-American". Our country was founded on ideals, and people have dropped, twisted, and made up whatever they needed to in our constitution, etc to benefit them.
I know the motto back in the late 1800's early 1900's was "Give me your poor, your weak, your huddled masses....blah blah blah", but times have changed and things have evolved. At some point you need to evolve as a country and say "We can't take in any more until we take care of the people we got, and we can't take care of the people we got until we redo our health, welfare, and political systems....we just ccan't keep doing this. If these people want a better, more prosperous, and happy life....then they need to make the sacrifices every country does and fix their own problems, not ruin their own country and then move here and live off our system.....we have far too many hard working preople of our own that need to get ahead before these immigrants do.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

no joke, because I live in a state densely populated (for its size) with Hispanics, Colombians, and that nature- South Carolina. I've been seeing jobs dry up due to that, due to textiles leaving, and even the jobs coming about are being absorbed by those displaced due to those plants closing down. I've been out of work for about a month solid, and before that, 2 weeks, so that tells you that jobs are drying up....I stand to lose everything now that jobs have dwindled down...guess that's where my state government's gonna have to kick in and help while I'm in school.....good thing I'm going to school for Computer Technology with Networking, because I can get out of school, take the CCNA, and hopefully get a damn good job either here or out of state. But as for the now period, there's no jobs for people like me (I have a little computer experience, a year and a half at Best Buy working on them, but most of my work experience is in the manufacturing field, which is dwindling significantly in jobs, as I've just stated).
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

iran is dubbed a terrorist country... yet 85-90% of the population hates the government. the government is the terrorism sympathizer, not the population.

nobahar and i are both qualified to talk about iran because we're persian.

also, as for english being the official language, i'd probably agree. every radar tower in the world communicates in english to every pilot. pilots are required to speak english. many non-english speaking countries countries require english to be taught in schools (it's not like here where you can choose to speak french, spanish, german, latin, japanese, greek, or russian like you could in my high school). the international language used to be french... now, it's english. seeing how our country's original language was english (country... not land... i dont want to hear an argument about native americans) and seeing how if EVERYONE spoke their native language in the united states, we'd break into civil war OR would simply not communicate with anyone except our own people, we SHOULD have english as our official language.

i always find it ironic whenever i hear "... one nation, under God..." in the pledge of allegiance, because part of what defines a nation is a common/official language.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

won't hear the Native argument from me, I'm as European as the rest of the "Americans" (keep in mind that's where we draw much of our ancestry, at least those originally from here, for the most part); I'm part Irish, German, and Italian, lol. But yeah, a uniform, "official" language is definitely needed for uniform communication in this country. Funny thing is that I'm currently taking Human Relations as part of my major requisites (I guess so we're more malleable or flexible in the workplace, who knows) and this very subject, about the diversity of this country, came up as one of the lessons. The book for this course states (and I'm summarizing based on what the book says because it states it in too many words, lol) that while we need to be tolerant of other cultures that reside within this country, the people coming over here also have to accept the common culture, and whether it's people coming from overseas over here, or vice versa, the functional aspects of the culture must be learned in order to correctly function in that society, whether the stay is temporary or permanent. And I agree with this, because the rule of thumb is if you don't adapt to the culture you're in to some extent, you won't make it in that culture. Wow, that was a lot of typing for so little a concept, lol.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

iran is dubbed a terrorist country... yet 85-90% of the population hates the government. the government is the terrorism sympathizer, not the population.
Thats completely true, but that 10-15% are the ones giving moral and financial support to our enemies, and they are the ones in power. I tbhink the main reason we have not acted against Iran and their nuclear program (Lets be perfectly clear, they are building nuclear weapons, weapons that will eventually be used against us), is that the general poulation wants the freedoms founs over most of the world, they are not religious hardliners, they are common folk like us.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

But you'll hear it from me, just because some french butt head took advantage of one of my ancestors doesn't mean we all have to speak english. The smarter thing is to speak several languages, I'm a little lacking in that department though, I only speak 3.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

two words: preemptive strike; this is the only way we'll survive when Iran finishes fabricating their nukes; they are most definitely a threat to us, and the world even, because if I'm not mistaken, the vibe put off by the extremist Muslim community is that of world domination and the forcing of their religion on the world (they made this obvious with the bombings in Spain, London, and the plane crashes here on our own soil). We need to disarm terrorist countries and rout out the terrorists in others. Where's Bin Laden and al-Zarqawi? What about our focus there, if it's there at all? They're smart enough not to come over here, especially in the Southeast, where 1 in 3 own a firearm, and believe me, from what I've seen (I'm a native NY'er), these guys can shoot, lol. They would be sitting ducks here, and there's photos plastered all over the news and in police depts (more than likely), so it wouldn't be hard to pick them out.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Bio-Hazard wrote:But you'll hear it from me, just because some french butt head took advantage of one of my ancestors doesn't mean we all have to speak english. The smarter thing is to speak several languages, I'm a little lacking in that department though, I only speak 3.
I speak 2, but I'm rusty in French, lol.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

If you want to add in the local American dialects I speak alot more ................. :shock:

German, a bit of Korean, some French (forgot most of it thank god), American english, Oxford english, Red Neck, Hick, Country and good ole boy back woods MO.