Blizzcon 2005 Build Your Own Notebook Over

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blizzcon 2005 Build Your Own Notebook Over

Post by Apoptosis »

I just got done speaking at the Build Your Own Notebook session at Blizzcon and I'd like to thank the 900+ people that came to listen. Here is a picture looking out at one corner of the room.

More pictures coming after dinner and drinks!

:drinkers:
JTanczos
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by JTanczos »

You can actually build your own notebooks? I thought those parts were a lot harder to find and more expensive for the average person to buy rather than buy from a company like Dell.

JT
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

just read the notebook section. you can build your own notebook for sometimes less then half the price of what you would pay for a prebuilt one. hey JTanczos are you of hungarian origin? just guessing from your name...
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
JTanczos
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by JTanczos »

I dont typically venture into the notebook section. I dont have one(yet) so I never bothered to go there. I would love to build my own if I could afford it. Maybe in the future.

And yes I am. ;) No I cant dance. I might be of noble decent from the 1400's but am not entirely sure.

JT
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

lol, strange, I'm of Irish descent myself (grandmother's maiden name is Fitzgerald), with a German blood-grandfather (God rest his soul) and some Italian nuances, so I don't know what I truly am, roflol :rolleyes:
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

killswitch83 wrote:lol, strange, I'm of Irish descent myself (grandmother's maiden name is Fitzgerald), with a German blood-grandfather (God rest his soul) and some Italian nuances, so I don't know what I truly am, roflol :rolleyes:
hehe this is probably all too common in the USA. mixed-up and multicultural. look at me: my mother is of hungarian origin- living in New york US citizen, my father is of polish origin living in sweden, I'm half-half and have 3 citizenships (canadian, polish and hungarian) :mrgreen:

hey tanczos- do you speak hungarian as well? beszélsz magyarul?
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Yeah, I think I get the Italian from the fact I'm from Long Island.....probably a little cultural mix there (genetically, I probably get it from my mother's side, as she had jet-black hair back in the day, so did my pops but that's the only place I can think right off, lol). Sooo, at least now I know I have a couple home countries to go to on vacation, lol :rolleyes: :P
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

omg build your own notebook NO WAY!!!!!!!!!

el o el jk

im sure legit review showed everyone up there with thier leet hacksor skillz and made everyone do the Neo "WHOA"
I cant say i enjoyed the Qcon05 one enough!!! that was sooo freaking awesome excecpt for...."lets not go there"
Amy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Amy »

Illuminati built a laptop for my parents. They got some pretty nice stuff in it (that they'll never use) for a significantly lower price than what the would have gotten otherwise. Not to mention the personalized 24/7 tech support. :?
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

lol, poor poor Illuminati, lol. Told my parents to give me a call if they were having problems with their computer, and well, they called me for things they should have looked at on the setup sheet, lol, which was clearly laid out :rolleyes: ........family can be crazy sometimes :lol:
zenzog
Legit User
Legit User

Post by zenzog »

I wonder why so many people at Blizzcon went, compared to Quakecon. I should go find out how many people attended Blizzcon.
PuterPrincess
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

SO COOL!

Post by PuterPrincess »

I CAN SEE ME IN THAT PICTURE!!

That ROCKS!
L337 C|-|1xx0|25 |20xx!

Monica
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

did you have/going to have muti "build your own" talks or just one big one, thats a hella lota people in one room...
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

WOW, 900 people! That's crazy. Awesome turnout though, I know I definately would have attended! :)
I would get so nervious!

And yeah, that whole "family tech support" thing can really get to be a drag. Saturday night rolls around and I get a phone call from my mom...

My mom: Ok, so I have a computer question. I'm trying to move my pictures I just took into the place with all my other pictures, how do I do that?

Me (*Rolls eyes and groans*): Ok, you select all of the pictures and then cut and paste them into the folder you want."

My mom: What? It will only let me select one at a time!

Me (*Bangs head on the table*): Just click and drag the little box around all of the pictures.

My mom: OOHHHH, ok, I didn't know you could do that!

Me: Yes, very good, now just cut and paste them into the new folder.

My mom: Ok.... *couple seconds of silence* How do you do that again?

Me (*going into convulsions and nearly throwing the phone at the wall*): Right click on one of the files and then click "Cut" from the menu that pops up.

My mom: Nope, it didn't work. It just selected one picture again!

Me (*saddest, most exhausted look ever*): *audible sigh* You have to click the other mouse button; the one on the RIGHT. You just clicked the left mouse button again.

My mom: OOOHHHH, yeah, you're right. I always forget about that other one.

Me (*slumped into the couch like it is swallowing me alive*): Ok, glad you got it all figured out, I gotta go, bye.

(*hears some sounds of confusion coming from the reciever as I push the talk button to turn the phone off*)

:rolleyes:
PuterPrincess
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by PuterPrincess »

LMAO!!!HAHAHAA..Thats hilarious..

.I have the same problem..I'm desiganted tech support for my family..It sucks..

Brother: Hey my favorite sister in the whole world

Me: What do you want.or better yet what did you break

Brother: So everytime i press that button on the computer its going to turn it off?

Me: are you talking about the power button on your tower?

Brother: yea that one...Everytime i press it my computer shuts off.

Me: (crying softly inside) thats what its suppose to do

Brother: Oh..but I just want it to go back the start screen but I dont want to turn it off...

Me: (crying a bit harder now) do you mean you want to go back to your desktop screen where all your folders and programs are?

Brother: (fustrated) what are you talking about..I jsut want ot go back to the start like when you first turn it on..

ME: (now wishing i was adopted) yes thats what i am saying...do you see where it says start all the way at the bottom left hand side of screen..

Brother: ummm..yea i found it!

Me: good...see that little icon where it looks like an ink blotter..

Brother: what the heck is an ink blotter!!!!!!

Me: (obviously fustrated) OK LOOK! just put you mouse icon over each little picute until you find one that says show desktop!!! then click it!!!

Brother: ............................................................................

Brother: HEY!! HOW DID YOU DO THAT WITHOUT SHUTTING OFF THE COMPUTER!

ME: its magic... end call......
L337 C|-|1xx0|25 |20xx!

Monica
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

hehe, I was like that 9 years ago :) weren't we all the first time? :shock: :P
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

oh yeah, of course, but it's the constant calls we receive from family that needs help with the computer that gets old and frustrating......and usually on the same frickin topic, lol :evil: ......told my parents to attend one of the computer classes sponsored at my technical college, and they were like (with their excessive Southern pride and all, and btw, the only family I have in the South is my mother, the rest is by marriage), "why should we go to one of that therrre classes when we have you?"....at this point I wanted to ram my head into a brick wall hoping to get brain damage, rofl....which I guess it's something I don't get: your parents tell you to learn things on your own for a good bit of your early life, but yet when it comes to something relatively simple like basic usage of a computer, they want to turn it into a double-standard.....oh well, I don't get it, but I'll eventually get them to go take a computer curriculum, or at least go to one of the free PC Clinics we have at my college, speaking of which, we have one this coming weekend, on the 12th.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

killswitch83 wrote:....oh well, I don't get it, but I'll eventually get them to go take a computer curriculum, or at least go to one of the free PC Clinics we have at my college, speaking of which, we have one this coming weekend, on the 12th.
I see you are still optimistic kill, good luck with that :finga: :drinkers: :mrgreen:
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

thanks, yeah I'm trying to get them to learn everything they need to know about BASIC computer usage so they can start to delve somewhat into more loftier concepts.....like building their own computer. Might take awhile (I know it can take longer for upper middle-age people to learn new concepts, but if I pound them enough with it (gradually though, don't want them to backlash on me) they'll get it. My mother's already catching on a lot, a good deal of the calls have stopped...most of the ones I get now are from my stepfather, as he usually messes something up, lol. :rolleyes:
PuterPrincess
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by PuterPrincess »

I did one better than send them to a class!

I taught the class...I went to my brothers house lined them all up in the den, used my TV-out to set up on the TV and went through a whole class and even gave them a quiz!

They got such a kick out of it! ( my family has alot of teachers, so they are proned to participate :P )

And Even with all those efforts, I still get the random calls

" Hey Monica, The weirdest thing, I was just typing somthing and then I finished, I printed it..But its not here anymore...Where did it go.."

" Did you save it"

" I printed it"

"I know that, But did you save it"

"Why do I have to save it if I printed it?"

"because then your computer doesnt know to keep it if you dont tell it to"

Then the expected back and forth, "but whys"...

" CLick" <---Me hanging up and now for the last 2 months screen my calls.. Because I refuse to speak to them..lol.. :mrgreen:
L337 C|-|1xx0|25 |20xx!

Monica