Is All Tech Support A Joke?

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Is All Tech Support A Joke?

Post by Major_A »

I've been having a lot of DNS issues with my router (according to Win 7 NIC troubleshooter). On average once a day my wireless computers decide to drop the signal and then I have to go reboot the router and reboot each computer affected. This isn't that big of a deal, I don't live in an 8,000 sq/ft mansion. But at the same time it's a pain in the ass. After it happened again the other day I contacted Belkin. Instead of answering my question the tech copied and pasted how to configure a router. Below is the response I received.
DNS Server Issues
Discussion Thread
Customer 06/29/2011 07:10 PM-aka ME
Usually once a day every wireless computer connected to this router has DNS server issues. The fix usually involves unplugging the router (resetting it) then repairing the wireless cards on each computer. I have updated to the latest firmware last November but support for this piece of equipment has since been lost. I noticed a few months back that my revision of the router was only being sold for a month or two. To me that screams something is wrong with what I have. Any idea if you guys are whipping up a newer firmware that deals with DNS issues?

Response John Doe 07/01/2011 03:32 AM
Dear Belkin User,

Thank you for contacting Belkin Technical Support.

I understand that you have issues with the router.

I shall certainly help resolve the problem.

Based on your information, I suggest you to reset and reconfigure the router manuallly.

Please follow the steps given below for configuring the router:

- Switch off the modem and disconnect it from the network.
- Connect the computer to the "LAN" port on the router and connect the modem to the Internet/"WAN" port, using Ethernet cables.
- Take a paper clip, insert the paper clip in the reset hole of the router and hold it for 15 seconds.
- The power light will flash and then come back "ON" solid, indicating that the router is being restored to factory defaults.
- The corresponding lights on the front of the router should be lit up.
- Log on to the router web interface by typing in http://192.168.2.1, in the address bar of your browser.
- By default, the password is blank.
- Click on "Connection Type" in the left hand column under "Internet WAN" heading.

If the connection type is Dynamic (cable):
- Choose "Dynamic" and then click on "Next".
- Type in your “Host Name”, if your Internet Service Provider has provided it. Else, leave it blank.
- Click on "Change WAN MAC Address".
- Click on the button "Clone".
- Click on "Apply Changes".

If the connection type is PPPOE (DSL):
- Choose "PPPOE" and click on "Next".
- Enter the user name and password given by your Internet Service Provider.
- Save the settings.
- Click on the "Home" link at the top of the screen.

If the connection is Static:
- Choose "Static" and click on "Next".
- Enter the "IP Address", "Subnet Mask" and "ISP Gateway Address". Click on "Apply Changes".
- It would ask for the "Primary DNS" and "Secondary DNS" information. Enter the required details and click on "Apply Changes".
Note: All the required information would be provided by your ISP.

Internet Status should show "Connected" on the top right hand corner of the web page.
If Internet Status shows "Not Connected", please unplug the power cord from modem and router (In case your modem has a battery backup, please remove the batteries as well), wait for a minute and connect the batteries and power to the modem first, wait for all the lights to be ON. Then connect power to the router.

If the problem persists, please get back to us with the following information:
1. Type of connection provided by your ISP (Is it PPPOE, Dynamic or Static).
2. Name of the Internet service provider (ISP).

Should you have any further questions, please take a moment to review our Knowledge Base at http://belkin.com/support or let us know.

Please ensure that in order to reply to this email, or access any attachments, you must follow the link shown above and click 'update' at the bottom of the email to be able to respond. Do not reply to [email protected] as we will not receive your email.

Thank you,

John Doe (name withheld)
Technical Support Agent
Belkin Technical Support

Customer 07/01/2011 08:29 AM-aka ME
Thanks for taking the time to copy and paste an answer. However, that doesn't address my initial concerns. Is there a new firmware on the way or should I just go buy another router?

F7D2301 Surf Wireless Router - Firmware
Post Date: 11/23/10
This update provides several fixes for Belkin’s Surf wireless router including:
DNS speed improvements to improve web browsing experience
Miscellaneous bug fixes

DNS speed improvements, perhaps. But it didn't address the problem at hand. That's why I came here to ask the question. If support for this device is done then I'm moving on. Can you verify one way or the other?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Is All Tech Support A Joke?

Post by bubba »

Problem is that most "Tech support" lines like that have a warm body setting in front of a screen. They plug in some answers and then it spits out the answer.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Heaven forbid they actually read the question. I guess most people can use this info, doesn't do anything for me.

Another example. Every time I call because our internet takes a dive I always end up at Tier 2 support. I wish they would ask a question initially to check your knowledge then decide where to send you. In this example ask for the physical IP address. I'd assume most people would have no idea what an IP address is, let alone how to find it.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Small update.

The good news is they are actually reading my responses now. They told me to try a different set of DNS servers. I wasn't aware you could do this. So I changed the address to OpenDNS' servers and WOW. My browsing speed seems like it has doubled. Page loads and access is almost instantaneous, whereas before it would take a second or two to load an entire page. If want to give it a shot you can change your DNS servers in your router to the following.
DNS Address: 208.67.222.222
Secondary DNS Address: 208.67.220.220

If you Google 208.67.222.222 it redirects the search to OpenDNS. I'm not trying to get you to connect to something bad.

On a side note, they are not working on a new firmware and the problem still persists after changing my DNS servers.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Here's another update after going back and forth with the tech support folks.
Response Renjith Ramachandran 07/06/2011 10:50 PM
Dear Belkin User,

Thank you for your response.

Since I am unable to isolate the issue, I would be escalating this case to my senior technician for a call back. Please get back to us with your full name, email address, telephone number, alternate telephone number and the country of residence for call back.

We look forward to receive your reply.

Thank you,

Should you have any further questions, please take a moment to review our Knowledge Base at http://belkin.com/uk/support or let us know.

Please ensure that in order to reply to this email, or access any attachments, you must follow the link shown above and click 'update' at the bottom of the email to be able to respond. Do not reply to [email protected] as we will not receive your email.

Renjith Ramachandran
Technical Support Agent
Belkin Technical Support
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

Major_A wrote:Small update.

If you Google 208.67.222.222 it redirects the search to OpenDNS. I'm not trying to get you to connect to something bad.

On a side note, they are not working on a new firmware and the problem still persists after changing my DNS servers.
If you get a newer Netgear router (and I assume other brands as well) with "Parental Controls" they actually point to the OpenDNS servers by default when enabled and that is firmware integrated. While not super deep the filtering actually works well and allows blacklisting, whitelisting of domains as well as content filters. These settings apply to DNS queries for ANY device connected to the router as well, though you can setup bypass accounts for individual PCs.

OpenDNS is not a "bad guy" re-direct and is a valid DNS server.
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Thanks for the info. I was wondering why they wanted me to create an account. Now I see why.

Generally when there's a site I don't want someone to go to I block it at the hosts file. I don't generally block a lot of sites but that method works well enough.