Using Spectrum Splitter/Amp

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Using Spectrum Splitter/Amp

Post by Kaos Kid »

So, I cancelled my Spectrum TV service. I kept the 200Mbps internet and landline. It appears that the line from the outside box carries both the tv signal and the internet signal and plugs in to the "input", then is amplified and split to the combo cable internet/voice modem through the output with the little telephone next to it, and the tv signal to each room through outputs 5,6, and 7. Since I no longer need the cable tv signal portion to be amplified to go to multiple rooms, would I be better off just disconnecting the outside line from the "input" and running it directly to the internet/voice modem? I would assume by taking out that unneeded amplification that I would get a cleaner signal by going directly to the modem. I was thinking that them I could put my OTA antenna line on the "input" and still use it's amplification properties for my OTA line. I have firesticks on all the TVs now and am using my wireless to stream, so I figured I would put the coax cables that used to go to the set top boxes and run them into the TV's coax connections for when we want to watch local TV channels (or as a backup for such times that the internet is down). Side note: I am not using the cable modem for VOIP phone, my landline still goes through my old phone modem but when I upgraded to 200Mbps internet they gave me that combo modem. It is not activated for the phone portion.
What do you think, are my ideas sound, and if not why not? Thanks in advance for your knowledge and opinions.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Using Spectrum Splitter/Amp

Post by camaroguy1998 »

I had this idea a while back. My ATT went down and was down for 6 days!( a sure way to make your wife go crazy)
Just a little piece of advice! This is if you have a powered/boosted antenna!
I have an antenna in the attic connected to 1 TV in my computer/entertainment room.
I considered doing what your contemplating and figured out this...
My splitter is in the attic, so connecting directly to the antenna was the first thing I did!
Do Not try to bypass the powered signal booster on the antenna!
Do not connect the antenna directly to the Spectrum powered splitter!
The signal will not be enough to pickup many of the channels! Even with the spectrum boost on the splitter!
The only way it will work will be if you run a cable from the unit that powers your antenna back to the spectrum splitter!

For comparison purposes....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071V ... UTF8&psc=1
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Not a powered antenna, but a 20yo big old school antenna, the kind you have to fold out once you get it on the roof. It was a real PITA to get it up into the small area above my vaulted ceiling but necessary since my HOA rules say no rooftop antennas and cable hadn't been run to our subdivision yet. I couldn't get up into that small space now to save my life, but being out of the elements all these years it's still as good as new and lucky for me gets digital signal just fine...VHF, UHF, and FM but that is only hooked to one TV, I don't know how well if it has to have a 4 TV load on it without being boosted. I guess I'll just have to try it out to see.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

Then i would try it and see what happens.
I would think it should work!

Corsair 4000D Airflow
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Works fine, I'm getting all the channels available in my region so if Inet goes down I'll still have OTA
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

Kaos Kid wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:30 pm Works fine, I'm getting all the channels available in my region so if Inet goes down I'll still have OTA
Good to hear!
I was pretty sure it would work! =D>

Corsair 4000D Airflow
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

Yeah its been more than a year but...
I finally got around to connecting my antenna to the old powered spectrum splitter and it works great!
I have all local chs. on 4 TVs!

Chk another off my project list!
Yeah the list is long and I'm slow!

Corsair 4000D Airflow