-mogwai's new car

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

-mogwai's new car

Post by -mogwai »

2000 volvo s40

all the options

these are the interior pics.... i took them last night. i took exterior pics last night, too, but they didn't come out too well since it was too dark outside.
excuse the crap in the back... i need it for physical diagnosis class.

i got it because my friend totalled my car.... it was a 1999 volkswagen passat (r.i.p. :()

it's got 82k miles on it... the interior is so comfortable and new-feeling. the exterior looks almost flawless.

i got it for only $7950.

now, the bitch of it is that i've got to drive all the way back home (maryland) to get it registered and get tags. why? because fvck missouri. the lisence process is so expensive and tedious... it'd just be easier (and possibly more enjoyable) for me to just drive home 16.5 hours, get things taken care of, and drive back. cruise control works.... i could start and finish my audiobooks, too :) i've got to cut some classes, though... oh well.... 15% absence rule.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Nice car!!! no does it fold?
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Congradulations bro!

Come talk to me when you want to do something about that stereo Mogi.
dday
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by dday »

Sharp!!!

I've never owned a Volvo, but everybody I know that has was happy with them. A friend driving a Volvo station wagon got t-boned by a dump truck. It pushed him off the road and rolled him down the hill. He got out with nothing but a few scratches from flying glass.........
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

how you like it? I've never even driven a Volvo -- supposed to be crash friendly and since that's how your last car died I'm glad you bought a volvo!
the lisence process is so expensive and tedious
What you mean? You take in your receipt and pay sales tax for the county/city you live in and pay for plates... I paid like $70 for two years. How is that expensive and tedious?
dday
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by dday »

I just noticed.....

You got to love a speedo that goes to 160......
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

the top speed of an s40 1.6L is 185KM/Hr, which is like what 115mph?
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

Nice car! Hope you enjoy it!
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

Apoptosis wrote:how you like it? I've never even driven a Volvo -- supposed to be crash friendly and since that's how your last car died I'm glad you bought a volvo!
the lisence process is so expensive and tedious
What you mean? You take in your receipt and pay sales tax for the county/city you live in and pay for plates... I paid like $70 for two years. How is that expensive and tedious?
i gotta deal with personal property tax stuff, i gotta pay sales tax on the car because the car that was totalled wasn't bought in maryland, if it gets totalled and i'm back in maryland, i'd have to pay sales tax on another car because i had this car licensed in missouri, etc.... i'd kinda rather have maryland plates anyways :).

as for the top speed, i've got no idea. i don't have any plans to race anyone or outrun cops anytime soon ;)

my first car was a volvo (1994 volvo 940 turbo) and i loved the hell out of it... but after a while, the sunroof kept getting stuck or something and the fuel economy started to go down. that was why i ended up getting the passat.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Sweet car........VOLVO's always are tops in the EuroEncap testing........can't get much safer........plus they are very reliable!

There's no-way I could afford to drive! For me (27), If I got a 1L car I'd have to pay ~3.5K a year for insurance! The car might only be worth ~1.5K => car insurance is just cray in Dublin!
If I said I lived with my uncle, down the country, It would be ~2K. As a named driver it would be ~1.5K. My problem is I have no-one to get insured with as a named driver.........most people her will be a named driver with their parents for a year or two, then get insured under their own name.......

Rip off Ireland :evil:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

which motor is in that one?
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

4 cylinder 1.9 liter turbo
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

the 1.9-liter gets up and goes well enough. You won't know it's turbocharged unless somebody tells you. Once past 2,000 rpm, the engine pulls hard, though the transmission seemed to shift before redline occurred (even in Sport mode). Volvo says zero to 60 arrives in 8.5 seconds and the S40 has a top speed of 126 mph.
The 1.9T has a higher top end than the 1.6! She move more than the old Jetta?
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

Apoptosis wrote:
the 1.9-liter gets up and goes well enough. You won't know it's turbocharged unless somebody tells you. Once past 2,000 rpm, the engine pulls hard, though the transmission seemed to shift before redline occurred (even in Sport mode). Volvo says zero to 60 arrives in 8.5 seconds and the S40 has a top speed of 126 mph.
The 1.9T has a higher top end than the 1.6! She move more than the old Jetta?
i wouldn't know... i never owned a jetta. however, it does move better than my deceased volkswagen.