Drug Tax Stamp in Kansas

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Sublime
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Drug Tax Stamp in Kansas

Post by Sublime »

This one is golden... Right from the great state of Kansas
The fact that dealing marijuana and controlled substances is illegal does not exempt it from taxation. Therefore drug dealers are required by law to purchase drug tax stamps.

The drug tax is due as soon as the dealer takes possession of the marijuana or controlled substance. Payment of the drug tax will purchase the drug tax stamps. Attach the stamp to the marijuana and/or controlled substance immediately after receiving the substance. The stamps are valid for 3 months. Drugs seized without stamps or having expired stamps may result in criminal or civil penalties which may include fines, seizure of property or liens against real estate.
Kansas Department of Revenue Site
Mr. Chan
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Mr. Chan »

"Hi, I'm looking to purchase some tax stamps for controlled-substances..?"

"Right this way sir."

That's incredibly stupid and a new low. It should be more along the lines of when convicted, they must pay so and so to help fund the DEA, etc. per instance.
P4C800-DX
P4 2.4C (2952Mhz)
Corsair 2x256MB-XMS3200C2-PT
Radeon 9600 Pro
Windows XP Professional
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I hope it's like a sting operation.... So when people come to get the stamps they go to jail ;)
Mr. Chan
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Mr. Chan »

Yeah, but I doubt it...they're just after a quick buck.
P4C800-DX
P4 2.4C (2952Mhz)
Radeon 9600 Pro
Windows XP Professional
kalmark
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by kalmark »

What will they put a tax on next time? Anthrax? "Please Mr. Terrorist buy a tax stamp before you make a bomb"

How the hell can you tax something that is illegal :shock:
Mr. Chan
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Mr. Chan »

I did some talking (family of former law enforcement) and it turns out that this kind of thing is not all that uncommon, at least around here since the 70s or so.

What happens is, for example, when say a drug-bust occurs and money and drugs are found, they get to take a portion of the money because it is untaxed, etc. In the way of drugs, it is also an untaxed source of income (something like that) and thus they also get a portion of money in the end. It's basically funding through drug money, however did you expect the money to just 'disappear'? :)

Basically, any money resulting from the estate is basically divied up and such. At least that's how I understand it, heh.
P4C800-DX
P4 2.4C (2952Mhz)
Radeon 9600 Pro
Windows XP Professional