The Movie "300"

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

The Movie "300"

Post by Alathald »

Seeing as the new movie 300 is coming out and see how it looks awesome, I was wondering what you all think of it. Sometimes truth is more amazing than fiction. (yes I know it's based on a graphic novel but that novel is based on the Battle of Thermopylae). I'd like to find the novel and compare it to the movie.

Well I'm excited about it...

GREEK HISTORY ROCKS :supz:
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

Greek history is biased against the persians fyi, so I'd be iffy about using the word truth- more like historical document based on one cultural standpoint. As far as the logistics of the battle they might have been true, but seeing how we can't even figure out exact numbers of how many civilians died in Iraq, I'd say history can be inaccurate quite a bit.

However, on a related note- the movie does look awesome.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Very true about the bias, something that must be remembered anytime you read anything. In any case, Persian history is very interesting as well (any Arabic history really). I also like Japanese History and funnily enough find American History very dull and boring. Just my opinion, and if I didn't stop myself, you may end up with a 3 page post about philosophy and dealing with bias. Some of the numbers people state are possible (esp when you remember quite afew Thespians stayed with the Spartans) but I agree that history has stretched this tale quite abit. The thing is, Xerxes wasn't stupid and wouldn't have continued with a frontal assault for days like many historians claim. Thermopylae and Marathon are two of my favorite battles, with the greeks tactics appearing to come straight from Sun Tzu. The Persians fought and won many great battles, including Thermopylae, as well and I don't see either side as good or evil, just as two equally match opponents where numbers defeated armor in the end. OK I'm done :oops: ...

Still, the movie looks awesome

On another side, it is fairly well documented that Leonidas only took 300 Spartans with him to Athens, but people tend to forget there where alot more Greeks at Thermopylae than just the Spartans. When Leonidas realize Xerxes was going around behind him to trap him, he order all the Greeks retreat and in the end only the Spartans (and a couple 1000 Thesbians) were at Thermopylae when Xerxes finally made it around behind him, hence the last stand of the 300 (plus a couple 1000 Thesbians :) )
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

That move was AWESOME! Everyone go see it! Now!
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

would have but the 9:45pm showing was sold out an hour before the movie and thats when we went to go buy tickets. It's rediculous since all the college students already left town (20k person town w/out college students , 40k with them lol). Still not able to get in.
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

beat me to it!!!

Post by stopthekilling77 »

well my brother, three other friends, and i headed out the door last night around 8 in the hopes of going to see this new movie we'd heard so little about. got to the theater and although there was no line, it was due to the fact that all the showings but the 11:50 were sold out. we all looked at each other and said "screw it we dont have to be up early tomorrow!" bought our tickets and killed the 2+ hours until the showing at my house. DAMN GOOD MOVIE! visually stunning, and i don't believe i've seen as many limbs/heads sliced/ripped off in any other movie! i'm not huge on gore, i'm more of a plot guy, but this movie was spectacular in both respects

now about this "bias" thing... dump everything you thought you knew about the persians, and go see it. yes its a good vs evil thing, but when it comes right down to it, in battle you have to believe the other side are the bad guys so to speak. i'm hoping to see it again in a week or two, it was that good!
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

hey to break this to you all but history is always biased towards the victors.
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

damn skippy :)
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

True, but ironically enough, the greeks lost at thermopylae

For me it's more about the story than the victor and it's defiantly a VERY interesting story
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

we had really planned to see if in IMAX... but the local IMAX theatre decided not to show it yet. We saw it in a "regular" theatre. Got there nearly an hour before it started (already bought tickets earlier in the day) and even for the 10:15 show the line was horrible. We had decent seats, a little closer than I like, but it was ok.

For the movie, it was pretty good. I thought the actors were chosen well and did a great job with their roles. It makes me wanna do a little more research about the event, and maybe even see it again when it comes out in IMAX.

My buddy that had just read the book said it was pretty accurate, with the exception of 1 or 2 things the book had that the movie didn't. Overall, I think it was pretty good... and would recommend it to others to see.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

entertaining for sure. Tonight it wasn't sold out as it was last night so all is well.
Gamble
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Gamble »

I am 100% stoked to see that movie. It's just the kind of messed up fantastical stories I love. Holler at the matinee tomorrow!!
Once a gamer,
Always a gamer.
Rock on.
-Gamble
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

I saw it last night as well and thought it was a good movie. Like DaIceMan said, I stayed up half the night reading what I could find about the battle.
If you have a weak stomach for blood and dismembered body parts you should not watch this movie. :drinkers:

My roommate on the other hand did not like 300 at all but never went on to explain why. Oh well, I guess we all have our tastes.
jtm55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jtm55 »

Hi All,

I saw 300 last night & I think it's a Damn Good Movie.
Antonik
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Antonik »

300: The IMAX experience, here I come :finga:
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

I so want to see that! :mrgreen:
hainer36
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hainer36 »

saw it last night, me and my buddy were going to see it tonight but decided we had too much work to do, so we went last night. get the the theatre at 9:00 for the 9:45 show, sold out, and the 10:20 show was the only other one (i had to work at 6am, him at 10am) and we decided we had to see it. there was a line of about 200 people, we were about 75 or so from front, so we got good seats.

great movie, cant say ive seen a better melee movie in a while at least

GO SEE IT!

am actually thinkin of seeing it at the IMAX on thursday, tho im not sure id wanna see 10ft tall cod-pieces.....thats just not right :lol:
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

dicecca112 wrote:hey to break this to you all but history is always biased towards the victors.
Exactly, like how everyone thinks the North was right and the South was "evil".
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

Tim Burton wrote:
dicecca112 wrote:hey to break this to you all but history is always biased towards the victors.
Exactly, like how everyone thinks the North was right and the South was "evil".
Well, not to start a flame war, but, the south was fighting for slavery, among other things. And civilization was starting to change and view slavery as evil.

If the south had won, things would be different...
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

Well, not to start a flame war, but, the south was fighting for slavery, among other things. And civilization was starting to change and view slavery as evil.

If the south had won, things would be different...
No fighting.

Just wanted to point out a couple of things:

1. The Abolitionists were as Pro-seceding as the South was. They knew that would mean that the South would no longer get their slaves back and make it economically untenable. All throughout the 1850s most wanted to break from the South.

2. The real issue was not slavery, but State's Rights. So much so that when the Corwin Amendment (making Slavery legal forever) was offered, and had a realistic chance of passing, the South still rejected it and decided to secede. Even Lincoln was willing to accept the Corwin Amendment (He says so in his First Inaugural Address paragraph 29.

http://www.bartleby.com/124/pres31.html

Text of the Corwin Amendment:
No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give to Congress the power to abolish or interfere, within any State, with the domestic institutions thereof, including that of persons held to labor or service by the laws of said State.
3. The generals on both sides were split about even on the subject of slavery. Lee even freed his in 1862 at the height of his victories, and Stonewall broke state law to teach slaves to read at church.

Anyways, interesting trivia to get your friends on:

Q: Who is the only American President to adopt a black child?

A: Jefferson Davis, he adopted a black child named Jim Limber.

The key word is American and not US.

:)