HDTV - GET IT!

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
KnightRid

HDTV - GET IT!

Post by KnightRid »

OMG! Wife finally caved and we bought a cheap 720p 32" LCD for the bedroom - http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OLEVIA-3 ... tDetail.do - was $100 cheaper this morning $499.99, wierd.

Anyway I figured i would play around while the race was on and hooked up a set of old rabbit ears ( dipole I think they call it ) and I got my first glimpse at HDTV. Needless to say, I was blown away! I never believed the hype, until now. If you ever have the chance to get HDTV, DO IT! I am goign to be running around this week to find a wall mount and see if I can get an antenna that will give me even more channels!

Mike

OH and I used a 10% off coupon for the tv, so it was $499.99 - $49.99 = $450 *6%tax = $477

I am also looking at a cheap ($50) upconverting dvd player, but would like the philips that does xvid and divx also for around 70 or 80.

Any ideas on antenna ( I know about antennaweb.org, but it says i shouldnt even get the channels i do with rabbit ears ;) ), or on a cheap place for swivel wall mounts?

Car colors in Nascar looked a hell of a lot closer to what they do in real life on HDTV!!! I jsut cant get over the quality! My Dish network quality now sux :p
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

Sweet man! Have fun with it all... :mrgreen:
prozac26
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by prozac26 »

HD is great.

I love it. :)
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

I dad bought one few months ago and yeah, it's awesome. Image quality is far better compared to the regular tv, too bad we have a pretty shitty choice of HD content in Quebec.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I have an HDTV, but no HDTV cable yet... The lines aren't finished... DVD's look kick ass at 480, so I can only imagine what 720 or 1080 would be like ;)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Apoptosis wrote:I have an HDTV, but no HDTV cable yet... The lines aren't finished... DVD's look kick ass at 480, so I can only imagine what 720 or 1080 would be like ;)
Well I bought a cheap $50 upconverting dvd player, and I cant see much of a difference.

I know the sat and cable providers are compressing the signals ALOT for HD, so over the air might look better for a lot of people! I know they are awesome here!

I called Dish network about going to HD, but they want me to pay $129 for a receiver that I will LEASE from them, I told her i will jsut drop DISH and go to Directv and get all free equipment again - they didnt care the bastards.

Mike

I havent checked into Comcast, but cable is more than my Dish, so I imagine the hd would be also.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

Apoptosis wrote:I have an HDTV, but no HDTV cable yet... The lines aren't finished... DVD's look kick ass at 480, so I can only imagine what 720 or 1080 would be like ;)
Shaking head.......................

Dude, we really need to talk.

Man, go get some rabbit ears from Radio Shack and at least sample what's out there. I hardly ever watch SD TV anymore...hurts my sensitive eyes! 8)

Seriously, for anyone who is thinking about making the leap to HDTV, do it. Hi Def pictures with Hi Def (5.1) sound is what it is all about.

(And Nate, if you like watching Lost right now, wait till you see it in HD.... :drool:)
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
Antonik
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Antonik »

I've had a 46" samsung DLP thats be treating me very well. Prime time shows look fantastic obviously, but I've been dissapointed with DVD movies, but good thing is, ton of HD movies out :) oh and Discovery's Planet Earth looooks soooo awesome.!!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Antonik wrote:I've had a 46" samsung DLP thats be treating me very well. Prime time shows look fantastic obviously, but I've been dissapointed with DVD movies, but good thing is, ton of HD movies out :) oh and Discovery's Planet Earth looooks soooo awesome.!!
Yea dvds on this little 32" look good, but on my buddies 52" they dont look so good. Better with a nice upconverting dvd player, but not great.

My only bitch is the damn hd signals over antenna. I have a 50db gain antenna from wally world - Philips brand - and it gets channels, but it is like they are on the edge of the antennas reach and they break in and out every now and again.

Oh and antennaweb.org is WAY wrong with info! Direction they tell me to point the antenna gets me 3 hd channels, the way I have it pointed got me around 15! Also have antenna sizes WAY off too! Hell rabbit ears work for some of them!

Mike
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tomato »

HD programming RULES! My in-laws purchased an HD receiver at the beginning of this year, and I have been jealous ever since :evil: Needless to say, I've watched many a sporting event over there... and anything else for that matter ;) I have found myself watching programs that I would otherwise avoid, but find myself mesmerized by the picture quality :?
"Who' doing what now?"
mongol05
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mongol05 »

I love my 42" DLP. I only got 720p cause I figured that since that's what most programming is broadcast in, it wasn't worth getting any higher for the time being. Unfortunately, Dish doesn't provide my local channels in HD. *grumble* I try using rabbit ears, but it's really hit or miss, and I can't have dropped signal while I'm watching TV.

I can really tell the difference playing my 360. I *may* be getting a PS3 soon, so I'm eager to see the difference between Blu-Ray and regular DVDs.
Porthos
Asus M2N SLI Deluxe | Athlon 64 X2 4200+ | 2 GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | eVGA Geforce 7900 GT 256 MB
Athos
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 | Athlon 64 3000+ | 1 GB PNY PC3200 | eVGA Geforce 6800 128 MB
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

mongol05 wrote:I can really tell the difference playing my 360. I *may* be getting a PS3 soon, so I'm eager to see the difference between Blu-Ray and regular DVDs.
Thats what I am curious about also! I tried to talk the wife into getting one of those $240 hd-dvd players, but of course I got the lecture about she needs a new stand for the bathroom, and the rest was kinda like..blah, blah, blah-blah, blah...No would have been simpler for her to say :rolleyes:

Mike
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

So, with all of the HD talk I bought a DLP today from Nebraska Furniture Mart (NFM). They have 24 months interest free financing and the wife finally agreed to it - I've been throwing it out there for about a year now! And since I'm paying for it she really doesn't care anyway.

I'm a bit angry at NFM though, when I spoke with the sales person he looked up our address and said it could be delivered tomorrow. When we got to the front to pay they thought we were going to pick it up. We then found out that it wouldn't be delivered until next Saturday. I wrote them a nasty letter and hopefully they bump up the time a bit, we'll see. Anyway, looking forward to finally having HD. I was in Denver a couple of weeks ago for work and stayed at the Hyatt where they have 42" Plasmas in the rooms. I watched Discovery Earth and like Antonik said, it's freakin amazing!

It will also be fun to see my Jayhawks and Chiefs in HD this season, can't wait!!

Bought this badboy: http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/DLPT ... 7SXXAA.asp
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Nice one Sporg!! My, hell what is he - brother-in-laws daughters husband - lol - has the 56" samsung 1080p and he loved it until the bulb went out and it took them over 2 weeks to get it replaced under warranty!!!! :(

It is a beautiful tv though! Too bad nothing but highdef dvds take adavantage of the 1080p signal, and some ps3 games.

Mike

Another Sunday, another Nascar race in HD!!!!! WOOHOOO. Better than sex. Well, better than sex after you have been married for 80billion years :p
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Thanks mister! Can't wait to get the darn thing...
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell