Enemy Territory: Quake Wars MP Beta (56k warning!)

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars MP Beta (56k warning!)

Post by SepheronX »

================================================
Get Key here (need Fileplanet account, but they are free to get)

For client download
================================================
Update: My take on the beta:
(Note* this is just purely the beta, and how I think on their attempt to please the crowed on the demo). NCIX forums thread, is were good ol Sana is, helping out with the resolution issue. He also gives an indication of performance issues, due to the game itself, and not the system (if people are experiencing FPS issues).

To change the resolution by hand, go to:
C:\Documents and Settings\(your name or pc name or whatever)\My Documents\Enemy Territory Quake Wars Public Beta\base then open up etqwconfig.cfg by changing it to an RTF file, then change seta r_customWidth "(instert width"
seta r_customHeight "(instert hight)" and change it to your liking.
Thanks to Sana for figuring it out (he said that it is similar to Doom 3, or he had to do it for Doom 3, and since this is obviously built off of the Doom engine, then yeah..........)

Alright, let me start off saying, yes, it is a beta. What is Enemy Territory Quake wars? Well, you know what quake is correct? with the Strog (aliens) and Humans fighting in a Arena gameplay? Well yeah, now take Enemy Territory group (who did the Wolfenstien multiplayer) and put it with Quake, and you get Enemy Territory: Quake wars.

The game is much like Battlefield 2, were you got the 2 sides, with vehicles, and you have it go at each other. What makes it different, is that each side has objectives they must complete in order to win, or they have to have the highest score at the end of each round. Basic? I know.

System:

• Intel C2D E6300+
    4x512 PC6400 GSkill Extreme Ram
    XFX 7900gs XT @ 677/835
    SoundBlaster Live 24bit audio
    Intel DG965WH motherboard (yeah, it sucks)
    WD Caviar 250gb Sata HDD
    Antec Truepower Trio 650W PSU
It is a decent PC, and I get usually good performance out of it in most to all my games. Only problem with it, it throttles during games, thus, lowers performance by quite a bit (gotta get a better cooler for both CPU and memory).

Instant Problem I noticed:

If you cannot see it, take a look at the resolution. The maximum is 1680x1050. But with most monitors that do not go that high, I am guessing it is the res shown in the picture above. So it is anything LESS then 1680x1050.

Edit: I was given a helpful tip by a person that goes by the name of "Sana" who mentioned max resolution is 1680x1050. So I am guessing it auto-sets the max res in the list by detecting what monitor the system is using.

Visuals:

The visuals.........Well, let me tell you, they do not match up to that of the BF2 Demo's visuals. The textures are kind of...."blah", as you can tell they are low resolution textures. But really, what can you expect for a game not fully optimized, and weighing at 850mb, to have high resolution textures. Being that it is around 400 or so mb less then the BF2 demo, it does not have AS bad textures as one would think from seeing beta screen shots throughout the web.

As you can see from this picture, the visuals are indeed lower quality. Some of you may be thinking "well, what are the settings?" and if you have not read above, you will know that all settings are at maximum, on a odd resolution lower then my monitor's. As for lighting? well, it has half decent lighting, just seems so much like that of Battlefield 2's. Just no HDR effects (phooy, got used to them in most current games). Explosions? I just do not see them matching BF2's, as BF2 has smoke effects and what all, but in terms of explosions, it is sub-par at best, unless you count the cool vehicles explosion for the land cars.

All in all, textures are not bad for the beta, and I know they were left out on purpose (to help decrease size of file, and probably help performance as game is not fully optimized) so to be rest assured, expect to see high-res details in the demo or full release (there is a difference between beta and demo. Demo is a small portion of the actual finished copy, while beta is still "work in progress").

I give the current visuals a 6.5/10

Edit: Forgot to mention, the detail of the models of both the Strog, Humans, and weapons are pretty high class, only the terrain and item details around you feel pretty dumbed down. Only problem is, the character movement feels a tad bit dodgy (hard to say sort of) and I dunno, needs some work. But you will understand once you start playing.

Audio:

Alright, the sounds.....The sounds....... Much like the visuals, the sounds were also dumbed down. I listened and listened and listened, and still find that the audio is so so. The machine gun for the marines, almost sounds choppy and out of sync, and the explosions sound very dull. The marines on the other hand, sound fine, so I guess the sound files for the marines are lower usage, then the sound files for the weaponry and explosions and other such stuff.

I would give an example, but did not have enough time to simply record the audio. Will eventually do that though.

For now, the sound, much like the visuals, were dumbed down for a reason, and can only give it a decent score, as it is indeed, sub-par.

I give the audio, a 6.5/10

Gameplay:

The gameplay is pretty good, although, too much like Battlefield 2. As mentioned above, the game sets off in the only map, a small sewage base up in Japan (hahah sounds weird, eh?) and of course, the Strog and the Humans going at it. What makes it different then battlefield 2? well, you got objectives. Like in this map for instance, you have to take over a command post or something like that, then go into the sewers, and blow open a hole to march into. This is were it gets really cool. The explosive charges you lay onto the section you want to blow up, you first have to program the remote in order to work in the same frequency as the charges, and that, is cool (just the little detail). Other then that, you got the basic of everything. A class system of medic's, soldiers, engineers, cpt's and such, with the ability to grab at weapons.

You basically have your air and ground vehicles, as well as your class system and weapons like in BF2, with the exception of Objectives (something BF2 lacks in). What makes this different? well, if you are the strog medic, you can steal health from a dead human soldier, well, more like suck the juices out of him (hehehe).

So gameplay is your average Battlefield 2, with the exception of objectives (i know, i know, i said that a lot). But of course, being the BF2 fan I am, I will have to give the gameplay a good 8.5/10, as well, you know, my fan for this type of genre (I am a fanboy, what can I say?).

SepheronX's Conclusion:

The beta is pretty decent, but with the lack of decent visuals and audio quality. But that is to be expected in a small file and pretty large gameplay style, so oddly close to that of Battlefield 2.

It feels like a direct clone, but it deserves to have its name separate from that of BF2.

All-in-all, it is a pretty decent beta, (with the exception of the crappy resolution) and should be a worth to download and play. I give it a good 7.2/10 (after rounding).

Hope you enjoyed this small review.

More Images + User Video's:
My images:
ImageImageImage
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Nice preview. Although I have some reservations about rating games still in beta stages ^_^

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

Im also in the beta and to me the worst part of it cant be seen in screenshots. the sound effects,especially in vehicles are incredibly generic. Play this game and then play BF2 and you'll see what im talking about.

Also back to the vehicles the Strogg vehicles are cool looking while the Human vehicles are very plain looking. They dont really look futuristic at all they just look plain and bland in my opinion.

Also there are no ragdolls. I know kinda minor but come on if they could pull it off with a game as old as BF2 then there's no excuse for it to not be in this game. I winced the first time I died on stairs was magically suspended by my foot on a step.

Also ID STILL hasn't fixed the dualview issue with the Doom 3 engine!

If your using two monitors you'll have to disable one or else you'll suffer a horrific performance hit. This is something thats been with the engine since day 1 and why they haven't fixed it yet is really strange.

Im waiting for the demo before I make a judgement but if they don't fix these issues then I wont buy it. The issues above make it play more like BF1942 then any current modern game.
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by SepheronX »

yeah, I did this purely for the beta. I wanted to show and say how I feel towards the beta build, we were so long waiting for.

Edit: I got an Idea, I will upload all the pics and stuff, and leave them here, and wait till the full version is released, then I will compare it to the Beta, and really see if they made any changes!
mongol05
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mongol05 »

I'm in the Beta also, and I would of rated it higher. Alot of the things in the beta, I think, are works in progress. I think that the visuals will improve with the final product and the sounds we have now might just be placeholder sounds. I also think they'll add ragdoll physics to the final product.

I think that the GDF vehicles look the way they do to show the difference between Humans and Strogg. I mean, this game takes place when the Strogg first invade Earth, humanity's first encounter with an alien race. I think if the GDF vehicles looked too futuristic, it would take away from the whole "alien invader" concept of the Strogg.

I have to say that I think that the objective-based combat is amazing. It makes for a more "realistic" combat scenario. I do like "area control" games like Battlefield, but I think the objectives give you a more fulfilling experience. I hope that they have multiple gameplay types included in the final product, like area control or capture the flag, but if this is the only game type available, I'd still be happy.

Also, I'm using dual monitors and haven't noticed a performance drop. Maybe I'll disable one of the monitors and see if gameplay is better.
Porthos
Asus M2N SLI Deluxe | Athlon 64 X2 4200+ | 2 GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | eVGA Geforce 7900 GT 256 MB
Athos
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 | Athlon 64 3000+ | 1 GB PNY PC3200 | eVGA Geforce 6800 128 MB
Azndude51
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: Enemy Territory: Quake Wars MP Beta (56k warning!)

Post by Azndude51 »

So is it too late to get in on this beta? I couldn't find anything about signing up on fileplanet.