Microsoft HD DVD Player for Xbox 360

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Microsoft HD DVD Player for Xbox 360

Post by Zertz »

Apoptosis wrote:If you don't have time check out this website that compares 480p to just 720p

http://alteredbeast.i8.com/480vs720.html
I was a skeptical at first, but the difference is easily noticeable, 720p image is far superior. Nice find.

Reminds me the DX9 vx DX10 screenshots and ATI vs nVidia 8) Speaking about those, did you have some time to run the benchmarks again to see if ATI's drivers corrected some of the rendering issues?
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

I didn't realize it had HDMI ports on the back. That will help a lot considering I have a male-male HDMI cable sitting right next to me. I just might have to blow the $200 and buy this thing now. These can play regular DVD's too, right? If so, do they up-convert?

Oh yeah, Nate, for your pleasure, download some 1080p trailers onto your HTPC from here:
http://www.drfoster.f2s.com/
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

If you were on about the player itself they were USB ports Image

The HDMI cable nate used plugged into his graphics card (via a special ATI only dongle).

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

yup... I had the DVI to HDMI adapter that ATI provides with their new 2000 HD series cards -

It's nice cause it does audio and video all on one cable versus 5 cables if you use the 9-pin video out adapter
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

My TV has 3 HDMI inputs, only one being used from my PC, so no worries there. I also do own a 360! :)

Nate, did you check out any of those trailers? A lot of them look just amazing!

I've also got some SD and HD pictures that were sent to me via e-mail comparing some scenes in the latest Bond film. I'll post a link to these shortly. They're raw .png images.

Link:
http://www.gameagon.com/images/hd/
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

Apoptosis wrote:yup... I had the DVI to HDMI adapter that ATI provides with their new 2000 HD series cards -

It's nice cause it does audio and video all on one cable versus 5 cables if you use the 9-pin video out adapter
Nate, are you saying that the ATI Board is outputting sound via the DVI-connection and then you use their adapter to go from this DVI+ ->> HDMI? Normally, DVI doesn't carry audio and you have to use a separate Toslink/Coax/separate cable to get your 5.1 sound.

BTW, the pictures on the site NAiLs forwarded really show a stunning difference between BluRay and Standard DVD@720i.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

as mentioned on the review and in this thread all audio/video is carried through this one HDMI cable!
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Well, I finally bought a player. Hooked the thing up to my 360, but was skeptical if it would display 1080p or not since most TV's don't support 1080p over component. Sure enough, it works. I must say, one of the best investments I've made. I had $35 in reward zone coupons from Best Buy, so I jumped on it. I also had $50 in a gift certificate from Amazon.com, so I just picked up The Ultimate Matrix Collection and Planet Earth on HD DVD. I can't wait to get 'em on Friday! :) Thanks for inspiring me to get one of these! :P It was either hook it up to my 360 and hope it would display 1080p, or build a cheap rig for HD content.
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tomato »

US$20 price drop for the XBox 360 HD-DVD peripherial, for those interested...
"Who' doing what now?"
=LAS=Spitfire
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by =LAS=Spitfire »

yea ive been thinking about getting one of these for my 360 and now that its down 20 bucks I just might have to go out and get one. Also I read on xbox.com that M$ is doing that 5 free HD-DVD deal that they do on the Toshiba HD players. So in addition to the 20 bucks off, you get 5 decent HD-DVDs for free. This is definitely the player get!

anyone know how much a small 3ft HDMI cable runs at best buy or some place?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I've found them for $4-$7 locally
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Check out http://www.monoprice.com

They have the absolutely lowest price on any cable that you need! :) I picked up a 15' male-male HDMI cable for like $8-12. I don't remember the exact price, but it was damned cheap!
=LAS=Spitfire
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by =LAS=Spitfire »

i have $100+ in bestbuy giftcards so i think im gonna go pick one of these up soon. does anyone have any experience with that 5 free hd-dvd mail in?

Do you guys think it would still be worth it if i used this on a 27" inch LCD in 1080i?