Crysis, Unreal Tournament 3 See Low Sales Numbers

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Crysis, Unreal Tournament 3 See Low Sales Numbers

Post by Apoptosis »

This is shocking news if you ask me. Could the death of PC gaming be felt now? It's amazing to see Half Life still the most played online game still.
When November industry sales data was released this week by tracking firm NPD, the PC platform was notably absent from the list of top ten best-selling games despite the release of high-profile titles such as Epic Games' Unreal Tournament III and Crytek's Crysis. Now, according to NPD data released by market tracking site the simExchange, it seems both games kicked off with disappointing initial sales--neither approached 100,000 units.

The report shows Crysis as selling 86,633 units at retail since its November 13 release; the game's potential audience has no doubt been limited by the game's notoriously steep system requirements. Meanwhile, Unreal Tournament III saw considerably flatter sales, tallying 33,995 since its November 19 release. Prior to the release of this data, many gamers had predicted low sales based on the game's sparse player count; at the time of writing, its current online player count is actually below the single-player-oriented Crysis.

It should be noted that Unreal Tournament III in particular released about halfway into the month, with only two full business weeks of availability, though the numbers are undoubtedly lower than publisher Midway and developer Epic expected.
Top Console and PC Games of November:

1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (X360, Infinity Ward, Activision) 1.57 million
2. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii, Nintendo) 1.12 million
3. Assassin's Creed (X360, Ubisoft Montreal, Ubisoft) 980,000
4. Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Bundle (PS2, Budcat, Activision) 967,000
5. Wii Play with remote (Wii, Nintendo) 564,000
6. Mass Effect (X360, BioWare, Microsoft) 473,000
7. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PS3, Infinity Ward, Activision) 444,000
8. Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Bundle (Wii, Vicarious Visions, Activision) 426,000
9. Halo 3 (X360, Bungie, Microsoft) 387,000
10. Assassin's Creed (PS3, Ubisoft Montreal, Ubisoft) 377,000
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Crysis, Unreal Tournament 3 See Low Sales Numbers

Post by stopthekilling77 »

id guess that people dont want to spend $2000 on a pc to buy an expensive game on when they could just keep their system and play less expensive games
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
skier

Post by skier »

:shock: as if a PS2 game is #4, stupid guitar hero series :finga:
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
CMcguire
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by CMcguire »

I'd say more then anything its down to the fact that the game just requires such a good computer to run.
System:
Antec p182 case, Q6600 at 3Ghz(well 2.99 333X9), 2 GB Corsair 8500, Intel Bad Axe 2 mobo, Thermalright Ultra-120 extreme; Creative Xtreme gamer; GTX 8800; Corsair 620HX PSU; WD raptor 150GB, Samsung 226BW monitor
DL126
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL126 »

I wonder if gaming has simply changed for the later generations.
I've gone through quite a bit of $$ getting Crysis capable machines together for myself and my son who is 17.
He still spends most of his time playing Halo 1.
And spent more time playing some kind of freebie knockoff of Guitar Hero on the PC than he has Crysis MP so far. (And says he loves the game??)
Now he's saying that if he gets enough cash for Christmas, he wants to get a PS3??? ](*,)

I also agree with CMcguire that probably a very large portion of the market simply doesn't have, and/or can't afford, a machine to run the latest titles.

I suppose there are many factors involved, I dunno.
But I can tell you that it appears as though the majority of people that ARE play Crysis MP online, are crackers & hackers.
In the global chat portion, the majority of the discussion involves people trying to find the cracked version of servers and the game itself.
Trying to find someone to play with in a punkbuster enabled server is like trying to find the proverbial "needle in a haystack".
At least this is the case in Instant Action servers.
Power Struggle might be different. I never look at those servers.
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

i like Guitar Hero III - its a great party game! trying to get a room with half women to play COD:4 just doesnt work.. we usally have a group over for football on Sundays followed buy a jam session.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Another party game would be fusion frenzy... GREAT game (you can play with one hand, and :drinkers: with the other)
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

No matter what game i have or play, i always end up going back to Counter strike or a steam game..ALWAYS!! I dont know what it is, I bought crysis for the physics and graphics and can play it at a high setting, I am now doing COD4, but always itch for TF2 or CSS.

I dont think gaming is ending, i have never felt that it was and still dont. Its just us geeks like our older title games! I guess mainly cause they work, and work well.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I really enjoyed Call of Duty 4.... For me it was the best game I've played since Far Cry.... To be honest I wasn't waiting for Far Cry or Call of Duty 4 when they came out, but they rank on my list of best FPS PC games this decade.

HL2 was boring to me.... Doom 3 was too dark and you knew what was going to happen next... Crysis... I just didn't get into it after the beta trials.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

No matter what games I buy for my son (PC and Xbox360), he keeps going back to Diablo 2. :rolleyes:
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

I did my part, Bought Cod4 for PC and Unreal Tournament 3 for PC. I'm saying we help boost pc sales and get some LR gaming back up and running again. Some COD4 server we take over and play on make it based out of the dead center of the US so we all ping equally bad. XFIRE:DGOOD.
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kappage »

i have been through so many game's stores here in Perth, i have been to 3 different EB's Jb Hi-Fi and a few others u prolly wouldnt know as well and its not on teh shelves, Is it even out here in AUstralia yet??? i dont know anyone who has it or who have seen it on the shelf.
Main Rig: C2D 6850 @ 3.0Ghz, 2Gb DDR2667Mhz @ 833Mhz 5-5-5-15 Timings , XFX xXx 8600GTS @ 730/2260 , Gigabyte Ga-945GCM-S2L
JukeBox: Currently in an Upgrade but im too lazy to do it at the moment
I² keepin it real
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I know it's gettin sad when your out 1500 denaro for a decent gaming rig, I set Crysis as my aiming point during the current upgrade, with monitor running right at 1.5k. Now I can stop spending on parts and start on games.

Far Cry and Call of Duty are my next, then Crysis.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I want Crysis, COD4, and UT3. Currently running all spare cash to the piggy bank for a new car. I need one bad; Nate knows why, he gives me sh*t about it every time I stop by :lol:

But until I get me a new ride I'm stuck in time on the PC upgrades, I'll need to upgrade my personal system to play any of the new stuff. Well maybe not for COD4 or UT3 but defiantly for crysis
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

i really do like COD:4 - the only gripe i have is no buddy list to find friends on servers - trying to get 3 or four of us on the same server is tough. so we thought ok how bout Xfire then we can find each other - got that set up to find out Xfire does not support that for COD:4 - it will tell you your buddy is online playing but wont let you connect.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I been stuck on Sat internet for a while, on sat you can get on, but soon after you'll be getting clubbed in the head by a scout (TF2). Sat uplink/downlink time makes online gaming stink. Good news though, they just ran fiber optics out front of the house, soon as they get it lined up for fiber internet I'm on it. Wonder how fiber will stack against DSL/Cable?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I just got back from Wal-Mart and a few other local stores and I was shocked when I went to electronics... People were looking for Wii games in the glass case and knocked over a shelf full of games... Turned out to be a shelf of Crysis boxes... The entire display was packed full... Not a good sign the day after Christmas.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Ha. Crysis pwned by Wii vultures. :owned:
Joe
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Poor, unappreciated, Crysis
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
Conky
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Conky »

I played in the Crysis beta and have played it in single player and it just didn't grab me for whatever reason. It urked me that it ran so poorly on my system too ([email protected], 3gigs RAM, 7900GS). It seems very generic as a shooter goes although I do like the weapons. The whole "nano suit" thing I could totally live without. :|

Unreal Tournament was also a disappointment and I wanted to love it because I've been playing it since it was a beta too and played literally hundreds and hundreds of hours online in Unreal, UT, UT2003, UT2004, and even Unreal 2! :lol: There doesn't seem to be anything really new about UT3. It also feels sluggish to me and the graphics just lack the old "Unreal" quality I am used to. Maybe it's that lame old 7900GS holding me down again? I'll replace it soon when I'm cashflowing again. :(

I think the reason the sales are so low is that these two games run so poorly on otherwise decent systems. I don't know why game makers expect people to go out and spend $2000 in upgrades for a $40 game... you would think they would try very hard to make it work on every possible computer out there. :dunno: