WoW Guild Compromised!

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

WoW Guild Compromised!

Post by Sporg »

So this is a short rant. A few friends and I have a small WoW guild. We are all real-world friends. Anyway, last night the guild leader's account was compromised and everything is gone. The guild has been disolved and several of his toons were essentially wiped out. I don't have all of the details yet, but am super pissed. Maybe this is my sign to move to Conan. Either way (whether you hate WoW or not) we spent a lot of time building up what we have. It wasn't much compared to what the large guilds have, (or are capable of) as we are a very small group. We will probably rebuild and move on, but dang I'm pissed off.
/rant off

I'm not really looking for anything, I just want to punch someone in the face right now. I know I never will get that opportunity, but that's just how I react...

I checked my account and it appears to be okay, so at least my toons and monies are intact. I will know more when I get home. I'm not sure how widespread this is, maybe a keylogger or something got him. He's pretty savy and not a novice at security, so I am curious what got him. I know there was recently a notice posted about a flash vulnerability, not sure if that was the cause or not.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
duplo83
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: WoW Guild Compromised!

Post by duplo83 »

Isn't Blizzard able and willing to get your guild's stuff back for all of you? :shock:
Case=Antec Twelve Hundred
Mobo=EVGA 790i Ultra SLI
CPU=Intel Q9450 OC @ 3.7 Ghz
GPU=GTX 280 X 2 SLI
RAM=Corsair DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24
Sound=Creative X-fi Xtreme Gamer
PSU=SilverStone DA1000 1000W
3DMark Vantage=Overall-21,591
CPU-43,435
GPU-18,491
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

I have never played WoW but i know what entailed and that sucks.. to bad games like that dont have the same types of security checks my bank has. if i log in from a different computer than usual i need to text them and they text me a new password to activate my account from the new computer. they also have the ability to email or call you with the new password. but text is the fastest for me
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I'm not sure what Blizzard will do. I posted a few minutes after he told me what happened. I know he's been on the phone with them for a while now, but I haven't heard yet what will happen.

I know that first he needs to figure out is where the security breach occured. Then he will need to close that hole (if it's on his end) and probably change passwords for everything. Not sure if he banks online or not, but that could be bad news as well.
smack323 wrote:to bad games like that dont have the same types of security checks my bank has
Yeah, I don't know how I feel about that one. But it might have prevented this from happening.
~Bertrand Russell
Resnik
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Resnik »

I've played WoW for going on 5 years now.

From what i've witnessed, they have a pretty good track record of restoring stolen accounts/items/gold..

I've personally had a friend that had his account hacked, about 2 years ago.. and they completely restored 100% of the gold and items.

Here as of late they have been having more problems.. Apparently there was some security breach that lead to the most recent outbreak of hacked accounts.

On another note.

Switch to Conan.

I could spend 20 hours explaining to you why AoC is more enjoyable for me to play than WoW ever was.

But i'll keep it simple.

You can Decapitate people... End of Story. :supz:
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Resnik wrote:Switch to Conan.
Yeah, we've been eyeing Conan since we first heard about it. I'm considering making the switch without the rest of my friends, but we'll see. Some of them don't have the hardware to run it and I'm considering a vid card upgrade if I go that route. A couple of us actually left WoW for Vanguard for a couple of months and then came back to WoW. Lately I have really been looking at Conan though - drunken brawling caught my eye too :)

Resnik wrote:I've personally had a friend that had his account hacked, about 2 years ago.. and they completely restored 100% of the gold and items.
Good to hear that your friend got his stuff back. My buddy is still waiting. So far all they have done was issue a credit because of 3 character transfers. We had a guild bank with 4 pages full of goodies. And I found out over the weekend that he had a toon with our sister guild, and several of the pages in that guild got cleaned out as well. Hard to say what it all was worth, but we had a ton of stuff.
~Bertrand Russell
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

So a quick update. Blizz restored his toons, but half the gear is gone and his bags were essentially empty. Not to mention that the guild is gone (bank and everything in the bank)... Looking more and more at AoC.
~Bertrand Russell
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Can't they restore the gear?
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

That really sucks. At the same time, I have to say it:
"This could be the end of the world..........................................................of warcraft" :)
I just want to punch someone in the face right now.

Having said that, I'm glad I'm not near you. I've just always wanted to use that line.

Seriously, though I feel for you. Good luck
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Zertz wrote:Can't they restore the gear?
So far they haven't restored everything. Just "some" of the missing gear and all of the gold is still gone. Most items are gone that were in his bags. Not to mention EVERYTHING from the guild bank. At least they returned his characters and reversed the $75 worth of transfer fees.

I'm less than impressed (with Blizzard) and it sort of took the wind out of our sails to continue with the game. We still don't know how they got his account info, and we have found absolutely nothing on his rig.

A few of us are thinking of parking WoW and just making the move to Conan.

So on that note I'm eyeing a vid card upgrade.

As it stands right now my main specs are:
X6800 Core 2 Duo Extreme
Intel XBX2
2 GB Corsair XMS2
XFX 7950 GT (512MB)

I'm thinking of doing a vid card upgrade to either the 9600 GT or 9800 GTX. With the new GTX 280 and 260 out I'm hoping some of the the prices may drop in the next month or so. I guess I'll slave away at WoW for now and am looking forward to a small upgrade and then eventually making the switch.
unfaithfulsfan wrote:I just want to punch someone in the face right now.

Having said that, I'm glad I'm not near you. I've just always wanted to use that line.
:oops: Yeah, my knee-jerk reaction when I'm irritated...
~Bertrand Russell
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

That is why I don't consider WoW a game, but a job. A game wouldn't make you feel like this, a game would be nothing but fun, not fustration, you shouldn't have to worry about your items in a game like you would worry about your TV getting stolen out of your house. People take WoW too seriously.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

vicaphit wrote:That is why I don't consider WoW a game, but a job. A game wouldn't make you feel like this, a game would be nothing but fun, not fustration, you shouldn't have to worry about your items in a game like you would worry about your TV getting stolen out of your house. People take WoW too seriously.
I totally understand where you are coming from with that. But I feel that way even with normal games. When I had an Xbox die and lost all of my game saves I was very frustrated for a while. So whether it's game saves, or developed characters, or just stuff, it's still frustrating to me.

Yeah, WoW can be a bit of a grind (OK, very much a grind!), but a big part of it for us is the socializing. We're all real-world friends and don't get to see each other in person very often. Friday and Saturday nights are when we get together and do our instance runs or whatever and we have a blast. So we do have a lot of fun, this was just one of those frustrating things in life.
~Bertrand Russell
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

I don't really play MMORPGs much but here something that'll hopefully cheer ya up a bit:
http://www.wegame.com/watch/World_of_Workcraft/ :)
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

LMAO, that's damn funny!
~Bertrand Russell
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I like the vid, thanks for sharing ^_^

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
skier

Post by skier »

Alathald wrote:I don't really play MMORPGs much but here something that'll hopefully cheer ya up a bit:
http://www.wegame.com/watch/World_of_Workcraft/ :)
hehe, thats on a counterstrike:source map 8)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Hehe, a buddy sent me that link recently. Good stuff.
~Bertrand Russell
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

The onion is the only source of news I read. Sometimes I get real headlines from it.

If you guys get a chance to see The Onion Movie, check it out. It is mainly sketch comedy, and is very funny.

You can see some clips on youtube... sorry, no links
----
Andy