Legit Workshop - April 30th

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
Rogue Element
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Rogue Element »

Had a great time guys (WF & LR)!

I enjoyed the hardware review/seminar and think the prizes were top notch. I look forward to the next one, hopefully I can walk away with some hardware but still appreciate the T-shirts, pens and handy screwdriver.

Thanks again WF & LR.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

puppetmasta, I totally see where you are coming from, and since we need new and unique contests everytime we wont be doing that one again. Next time new ideas will be thought up with safety and the venue layout more thought up.

Rougue Element/Wickedld9, Hopefully next time you will be able to get some hardware prizes!
=|GFH|=PESTILENCE
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by =|GFH|=PESTILENCE »

LR , rocked at our lan you guys made it one of the funnest lans i've bin to in a long while. Thx for coming. I hope to see ya all again.... tech guestion now do you think the fact i sprayed painted my motherboard atime ago back w/ some uv reactive green paint while it was on, i was playing some Desert Combat . maybe reason my pc is so slow ? hmmmm...... :supz: it looks really cool w/ black light i sprayed everything inside my case
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I'm glad we made it fun! hum.... With painting PCB's... either it's going to work or not. Some paints have metal in it, which is BAD for circuit boards. Since your PC runs and your motherboard is cracked and painted... i'm amazed it turns on honesty.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I'd also like to pass the thanks we have been receiving to the companies that sent us stuff! So don't forget ABIT, Corsair, Intel, Kingston, NVIDIA, & Thermaltake for all the prizes and free stuff they sent us just for the LAN!
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

I'm not sure those bridesmaids could handle our level of geek!! It still would have been fun to try
I dont know man, one of them knew that we were having a lan party if she knows that then she has dated or is a geek on some level.

to Pestilence
if your mobo works then the paint is not slowing it down. my guess is your windows install is getting old. The registry has a tendency to get cluttered very quickly when loading or unloading software. try some sort of reg cleaner or think about a reinstall.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
deadly-app
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by deadly-app »

I think washington is the next stop!! :P
DigitlGhost
Legit User
Legit User

Old war dog speaks up.

Post by DigitlGhost »

I've been playing online games since MechWarrior, Airwarrior, and the original NWN. As one of the old war dogs I must say I had a grand time. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to more insite on the ins and outs of the hardware industry and more awesome hype machines for us to play with.

I hope next time to see AMD and some other manfacturers to step up to the plate.
Tectonic
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Tectonic »

Thanks for coming to the event, LR. I enjoyed listening to the tech talk during the seminar (although I admit to not knowing what you guys were talking about 100% of the time - got most of it though) and seeing the powerful equipment you guys had at the event.

I think it's really cool that you branched away from the traditional tournament-only prizes and gave some of the lesser-skilled players a chance to come home with something big. This helps motivate the less-skilled players to attend the event, and I think it's something that should help further the LAN scene in St. Louis and wherever else you guys go.

At the same time, I do think you guys should hand out prizes for tournaments at other events along with the fun game/random drawing prizes (I know this was a "no-frills" event with no tournaments) in the future. Split the prizes up between tournaments of skill and fun/luck. If you held a 1v1 tournament for Quake 3, Painkiller, UT2004 (for the love don't pick UT), or Doom3 and gave out a hardware prize to the top 3 players, you would get a HUGE turnout at the lan.

I guarantee that the lack of tournaments was more than half the reason why many of the registered players didn't show up to the lan. There's just not as much motivation for many of us when there is nothing to be competing over.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the prize distribution is a LR thing or a Warfactory thing or a combination, but I recommend that you do both random and tournament prizes in the future, or at least consider it :).
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

puppet, loosen up, dude.

wicked, those bridesmaids were pretty hot. i saw quite a few of them whenever i went upstairs to the reception to offer my congratulations to the bride and groom. pretty much every girl there was attractive... even some of the moms (and we all know how sweet milfs are).

thanks intel :)
DigitlGhost
Legit User
Legit User

Missunderstood

Post by DigitlGhost »

Thor wrote:See now you understand why I always have my knife on me...never know when you will need to fix a bent pin in a processor! Living in midtown St Louis has nothing to do with it at all!
"You dont' understand officer, that's just my processor repair implement."
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Tectonic wrote: I think it's really cool that you branched away from the traditional tournament-only prizes and gave some of the lesser-skilled players a chance to come home with something big. This helps motivate the less-skilled players to attend the event, and I think it's something that should help further the LAN scene in St. Louis and wherever else you guys go.

At the same time, I do think you guys should hand out prizes for tournaments at other events along with the fun game/random drawing prizes (I know this was a "no-frills" event with no tournaments) in the future. Split the prizes up between tournaments of skill and fun/luck. If you held a 1v1 tournament for Quake 3, Painkiller, UT2004 (for the love don't pick UT), or Doom3 and gave out a hardware prize to the top 3 players, you would get a HUGE turnout at the lan.
Techtonic, I do agree that prizes should be given out for gaming tournaments. All the items Legit Reviews gave out during the workshop were brought to you from our staff (Legit Reviews) and were given out during the workshop. That had no connection with War Factory at all.

War Factory and their prizes from their sponsors and what they do with your entry fee money is all up to them. Legit Reviews didn't get paid to come, get dinner bought for them, we spent our day doing what we enjoy in an effort to help out the local gaming community.

Can some things be improved on? You bet and hopefully War Factory will be able to tie up all the loose ends. Legit Reviews has been based in St. Louis since 2002 and will continue to talk hardware and stay far away from the gaming scene. As to the comment about turn out... This is the first LAN Party that I have ever attended that didn't have a tournament or prizes. I agree with your comment for the lower than expected turn out. I'd personally never attend a LAN that didn't have a "winner'.

So far from this thread it seems like everyone liked the workshop though and that is good feedback to have!
Cyberdyne
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Cyberdyne »

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!. I didnt win any harware but it was still cool to see you guys hand out so much cool stuff. I enjoyed the seminar too and learned a few things. Thanks again. I hope you guys can come to the next LAN.
Cyberdyne
Console
ZorPrime
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by ZorPrime »

All was good. I enjoyed the workshop and what was said. Hope to hear more when you all come back. ;)

Maybe see some dual core AMD action going on next time.

About tournaments, the staff wanted some gaming time also. After the last LAN, we needed it. And I am happy now that my rig can last without lock ups when gaming. Damn motherboard...
GFHNefertiti
Legit User
Legit User

Post by GFHNefertiti »

I want to say Thanks... I have never been to a Lan before but, can promise Ill be comin back, of course with my own PC next time..lmao
WF - Audiophile
Legit User
Legit User

Post by WF - Audiophile »

ZorPrime wrote:Damn motherboard...

damn motherboard installers..... :lol:

And yes we are currently working on a tourny setup for the next go around. We are thinking CS:S (obviously) and then something off the beaten path to make life a little interesting. We'll see. :mrgreen:
Warfactory LAN admin
puppetmasta
Legit User
Legit User

Post by puppetmasta »

WF - Audiophile wrote:
ZorPrime wrote:Damn motherboard...

damn motherboard installers..... :lol:

And yes we are currently working on a tourny setup for the next go around. We are thinking CS:S (obviously) and then something off the beaten path to make life a little interesting. We'll see. :mrgreen:
How about a Q3 CPMA or Painkiller tourney :)
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

i figured out why in the hell i couldn't kill people worth a damn during the lan on cs:s.... i just figured out today that my rate was 5000 (10000 is default). no wonder i'd shoot people in the head and do NO damage... i was honestly getting really pissed about that. anyways, i figured it out when i went to one of the servers i admin for and couldn't kill anyone there, either haha... i checked my cl_cmdrate, cl_updaterate, and rate to check if somehow something was off.

i definitely think there should be a cs:s tourney... screw a cs1.6 tourney. i say "screw a cs1.6 tourney" not only because 1.6 is complete retardedness, but also because: a, there wouldn't be enough time to have both... b, why? if we want to stick with the theme of progressive technology and things that are latest/greatest in the computer world, why go back to a crappy version of a good game?

but, then again, that's just one man's opinion. it's up to those in charge.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I'm not sure if there would be enough people to do a CS1.6 tourney... I haven't had that installed in over a year.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
killdashnine
Legit User
Legit User

Post by killdashnine »

Apoptosis wrote: Legit Reviews didn't get paid to come, get dinner bought for them, we spent our day doing what we enjoy in an effort to help out the local gaming community.
Much to our chagrin, the low-budget nature of this LAN prevented any of us (including admins) from getting any of these kinds of perks. This event was more of a "just for fun" gig, although most of us involved didn't really sleep for at least two days.

We are beginning plans that will look about 6-8 months out for an exceptional event including real tournaments, all the refreshments you'd come to expect from any quality LAN, and numerous other perks. We'll be in touch with the Legit Reviews Team once the administrative team gets the chance to consider options and begin planning.