Legit Workshop - April 30th

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

capper5016 wrote:why in the world would I leave Las Vegas?
my roommate's there right now. she's having a blast.... kinda like the blast i had at this lan :) (but not exactly...)

i was surprised no one else thought to bust into the women's bathroom since it was closer... i was like "psh.. what the hell is he running down the hall into the guys bathroom for? there's a bathroom right here..."
BEan
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by BEan »

Apoptosis wrote: Contest: Who Wants A Silent Video Card HSF?
We offered the Thermaltake Silent VGA heatpipe cooler for anyone wanting to convert on the spot. We had a taker and out came his card!
Holy Crap, I have just relized how fat my head Realy is with that hat on.

BTW LR Staff: Thanks for the cooler and doing that 3dmark contest. I now know that I have a good video card, It just needs a little work. Do you still have the 3dmark scores from last night? I am overclocking my video card and I want to compare scores.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Man that was a good time, St Louis knows how to through a party. I had a really good time with the Warfactory guys, and im comming back again. I want to thank them for putting together such a cool event, i also want to thank Nate, Justin, and Amy for haveing the nashville office up for the weekend, btw Amy makes great breakfast.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
WF - Audiophile
Legit User
Legit User

Post by WF - Audiophile »

I to wish to thank the Legit crew for thier time, effort, and generocity. I especially like to thank Yves (hope I got that right) for talking with me about the details and specifics of his ClickFX technology (he was probably annoyed as hell but i appreciate his patience ;) ). I REALLY look forward to future events, I know myself and many others appreciate all that you've done. Thanks again!
Warfactory LAN admin
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Puppetmasta made a new topic in a different thread so I moved it here. He orignially stated:
puppetmasta wrote:Just wanted to say that the legit reviews hardware seminar was a pretty nice touch and made saturday's lan a lot more enjoyable. Was cool to see a great reviews site here in the heart of stl.

I was a little disappointed with the way the prizes were given out. You guys should come up with more hardware related questions rather than, "run and get me a piece of toilet paper". I mean that was for a $200 motherboard and people are running frantically up the stairs (during a wedding ceremony, i might add) and then tripping over each other on the way back down. Just seems a little unprofessional and gives us gamers a bad reputation as being irresponsible, etc.

I'd suggest either using the arm bands or asking more questions that are related to the products you are marketing, reviewing, etc. That way anyone who takes a look at your site can win as well as the lucky few whose numbers are called. Making it fair for all.

Just some thoughts for the next lan, once again just wanted to say that it was awesome to have you guys there and I hope to see you at the next one with a whole lot more people!
Legit Reivews had nothing to do with picking the venue where this event was held at. Any concerns about the venue location should be directed at the fine folks over at War Factory. The Legit Workshop was held BEFORE the wedding party arrived, so I must point out that you are wrong in your post about people running on the stairs DURING a wedding ceramony as that did not happen. I do share your concern about people getting hurt though. Legit Reviews did run this specific contest past the War Factory staff before the day of the LAN and no concerns were made and it was given the nod.

When doing hardware workshops for the first time the knowledge of the audience is unknown. Hince why I asked contest questions such as "What does the XMS in Corsair's XMS memory stand for?" or "Does anyone know the clock speed for the fastest Intel CPU?". I tried to do a mix of fun contests, the random draw out of a hat, benchmark contest, and enter if you want it drawings. I thought we had a very good selection of contests for the event.

In the end I hope that you walked away on a positive outlook on the workshop. I mean damn, LR gave got out $2000 worth of free stuff and you can't really screw up giving stuff away. Not everyone will all be happy and all Legit Reviews was trying to do was have fun, educate on hardware, and give free stuff out.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

/to puppetmasta

Wecome to the forums glad you liked the seminar... we were kinda makeing up contests on the spot, but personaly i realy thought they were fun. I also think that the venue really screwed up double booking like that, you guys paid for the space, you get to use it. I thought the toilet paper contest was cool, who cares if it looks professional, it was fun. Plus you dont have to be a geek to play

/to WF-Audio

NP man i thought it was fun talking to you, and you got the name right :) i had a really good time there you guys were very cool. Im planing on being at the next seminar, but i cant say i will be at every lan, its just too much of a drive for me.
WF - Audiophile
Legit User
Legit User

Apoptosis wrote: Legit Reivews had nothing to do with picking the venue where this event was held at. Any concerns about the venue location should be directed at the fine folks over at War Factory. The Legit Workshop was held BEFORE the wedding party arrived, so I must point out that you are wrong in your post about people running on the stairs DURING a wedding ceramony as that did not happen. I do share your concern about people getting hurt though. Legit Reviews did run this specific contest past the War Factory staff before the day of the LAN and no concerns were made and it was given the nod.

When doing hardware workshops for the first time the knowledge of the audience is unknown. Hince why I asked contest questions such as "What does the XMS in Corsair's XMS memory stand for?" or "Does anyone know the clock speed for the fastest Intel CPU?". I tried to do a mix of fun contests, the random draw out of a hat, benchmark contest, and enter if you want it drawings. I thought we had a very good selection of contests for the event.

In the end I hope that you walked away on a positive outlook on the workshop. I mean damn, LR gave got out $2000 worth of free stuff and you can't really screw up giving stuff away. No one will ever be happy and all Legit Reviews was trying to do was have fun, educate on hardware, and give free stuff out.
Yes, the KC hall was a Warfactory chosen spot and LR had nothing to do with that. We will not be going back there again because it for one was to far away from the city and that chicken grease was gonna kill me ;)

As for the turnout, I know most had a great time because I usually hear from a lot of people via PM or IRC how bad things were. I havent heard a thing! Sweet! The workshop was a very welcome change of pace from just being a LAN drone and I for one was very happy seeing how people are willing to destroy thier rigs for new hardware, do pushups, and run into a womens restroom for toilet paper). Nice!

Yves - Thanks again man - im still jealous!

Thanks once more guys, I had a blast as did many others.

Heres some pics i snapped throughout the day, very interesting.

**All pics removed** - Audio
Last edited by WF - Audiophile on Mon May 09, 2005 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Warfactory LAN admin
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The one with Yves fixing the bent AMD A64 processor pins is classic... who needs high tech tools when one has a boot knife and a credit card!
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

knife and a student ID...

/edit is that a bald spot... im geting too old already
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

wow... i missed that one! :axe:
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Yves...you're 24 right?
Man you are already going bald! Stop buying computer parts and start on the Rogaine...or just shave that dome!
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I'd like to thank everyone for the feedback, it will only make our next seminar better! All of LR had a great time and definitely look forward to the next one!
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Maybe that next one will be in Las Vegas??!!!
Amy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Amy »

infinitevalence wrote: i also want to thank Nate, Justin, and Amy for haveing the nashville office up for the weekend, btw Amy makes great breakfast.
It was great meeting you, and like I said, you two are welcome anytime. :) I was hoping you liked the breakfast -- no one commented this morning :( But don't let my cooking skills get around or before I know it I'll have 25 people from the forums showing up for breakfast!
WF - Audiophile
Legit User
Legit User

capper5016 wrote:Maybe that next one will be in Las Vegas??!!!
Im up for a road trip. Already heading south for Quakecon, we can easily head west. But ya never know, Vegas might not be as exciting as Grapevine Texas!

:-s
Warfactory LAN admin
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

WF - Audiophile wrote:
capper5016 wrote:Maybe that next one will be in Las Vegas??!!!
Im up for a road trip. Already heading south for Quakecon, we can easily head west. But ya never know, Vegas might not be as exciting as Grapevine Texas!

:-s

Uh...yeah.
Thor
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Thor »

See now you understand why I always have my knife on me...never know when you will need to fix a bent pin in a processor! Living in midtown St Louis has nothing to do with it at all!
Tourec
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Tourec »

I also had a great time at the LAN party and I'd like to thank the War Factory folks for a fun time. Hopefully I'll be able to go to another in the near future. I'd also like to thank Justin and Amy for letting me and Yves crash at their place. It was a helluva lot more fun and sure beats paying for a hotel room :)
Amy wrote: It was great meeting you, and like I said, you two are welcome anytime. :) I was hoping you liked the breakfast -- no one commented this morning :( But don't let my cooking skills get around or before I know it I'll have 25 people from the forums showing up for breakfast!
Breakfast was fantastic! Nothin like pancakes for breakfast - especially when someone else makes them :)
puppetmasta
Legit User
Legit User

Post by puppetmasta »

Apoptosis wrote:Legit Reivews had nothing to do with picking the venue where this event was held at. Any concerns about the venue location should be directed at the fine folks over at War Factory. The Legit Workshop was held BEFORE the wedding party arrived, so I must point out that you are wrong in your post about people running on the stairs DURING a wedding ceramony as that did not happen. I do share your concern about people getting hurt though. Legit Reviews did run this specific contest past the War Factory staff before the day of the LAN and no concerns were made and it was given the nod.

In the end I hope that you walked away on a positive outlook on the workshop. I mean damn, LR gave got out $2000 worth of free stuff and you can't really screw up giving stuff away. Not everyone will all be happy and all Legit Reviews was trying to do was have fun, educate on hardware, and give free stuff out.
Apoptosis,

I agree you had no say where the event was held and I'm not trying to knock your approach to a proper mix of fun and informative contests to win some great hardware. My biggest concern was that alot of the 'fun' contests didn't give everyone in the room an equal chance to win the hardware. For instance if everyone in that room tried to run to the bathroom and grab some TP we would have had entire tables of computers smashing to the ground, etc.

You're right the wedding reception hadn't started when the mad dash for the TP happened, but there were people working throughout the hall preparing for the reception. I usually don't care what others think, but when we are trying to grow a traditionally non gaming community, those types of things turn people off to gamers and lans in general. Things like running into the men's and women's room and running out with TP isn't something I would like to support if I was a non gamer. I'm not pinning this on you guys, but this was just my first reaction to the TP contest.
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

Breakfast? I missed breakfast!!!??? Oh well.

Thanks to LR and Warfactory. I had a great time gaming and talking hardware with LR staff. Thanks to Nate and Yves for putting up with all of my questions and hanging about.

Thanks for the awesome prizes and the creativity in giving them away. I just need to win something next time.....

Yves, I'm not sure those bridesmaids could handle our level of geek!! It still would have been fun to try. :D

-Brian