Fallout 3 Review

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: Fallout 3 Review

Post by martini161 »

Skippman wrote:I just beat the game. All I can say is the ending was anti-climactic. I expected a montage of all the towns I'd helped/hurt like Fallout 1 and 2, but instead it's just one refrence to my karma level.
something weird happened to me in the game. one day, i decided to travel to arefu. when i got there there was a yao guai slaughtering the town. so i whip out my gattling laser and kill the thing, but apprently one stray laser hit some random lady (didnt even kill her). but most of the town was saved. later, i go to megaton, and when i see lucy west, she says "i heard about your little killing spree in arefu, get the hell away from me!" and i was just like WTF. i even have a very good karma level (very good: ambassador of peace)
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

It is easy to accidentally screw up something. I always try to quick load if a friendly gets shot.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

has anyone else found dogmeat?
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Yep, got some off of super mutants i think.

I got into vault 109 (I think that was the number). Hallucinogenic drugs present in the air. You trip out- ha
Joe
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

no, theres an actually dog you can find named dogmeat :P
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Dogmeat
Dogmeat is a dog that could be found in Junktown, a reference to the dog Mad Max has in the film Road Warrior.
Joe
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

I just got the game and started it, all I can say it is freaky :P Awesome but I wish some of the faulty mechanics from oblivion were improved more on, also apparently I should restart since I didn't grab that bobblehead (not too far in, plus I made all the wrong choices for attributes).

They give you a lot more choices in the dialogues but also a lot more "wrong" choices. In Oblivion, developing fame and infamy are kind of exclusive, you don't have too many either or situations with quests but here it is either + or - karma it seems.

I guess I just have to nuke megaton for my bad game. It's a really fun game with the story and the open-ended gameplay typical of Bethesda, I just don't like the fighting system. In Oblivion I went mage, and my most powerful spell through most of the game was a shock touch spell. I'd just run up to them, touch them and rinse/repeat and killed people. Boring but straightforward.

Here I'm aiming at the damn cockroach and the gun won't hit it, also the enemies that move don't just sit for you to hit them so it has the same problem the bow had in Oblivion. Unless it is feasible for me to do one/two hit kills with a melee weapon, probably going to go with a better spray weapon. Or learn how to use V, but I still dislike the pause/play system. Live action fighting would be better if it wasn't so punishing.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

The reason you're not hitting is because your skill is too low. You could be pixel perfect on the head of the creature and still not hit it unless your skill is high enough. Weapons skills are not only applicable in VATS but govern all combat. So the reason your not hitting isn't a fault of the game, but it's because of the game.

I'll have to play it as an evil character at some point. Right now, having beaten it, I'm working on Red Alert 3.
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

That's interesting cause I chose small arms as one of my skills, but around 30 points or so (which is what you get) it won't hit. I think I need to up my agility.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I think small guns is governed by perception and luck, but i'm not certain.
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

You're right. I read the cheater post, so I went ahead and upped luck. I'm trying to play from a realistic decision aspect, realistically I wouldn't enter any of the metro stations unless I had to. Post-apocalyptic world with zombies? I'll take my chances out in the open.

It's just hard to follow stuff on your map, Oblivion had roads and was out in the open. You had a horse on top of all that, here I am walking around like fool getting jumped by anything that has a pulse.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Remember that you can fast travel, just like you could in Oblivion.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

martini161 wrote:has anyone else found dogmeat?
I found him, and I am thinking about just sending him to vault 101 so he doesn't keep getting in my way. He hasn't been too entirely useful for me.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

ive found him to be extremely usefull. but, if you want to keep him alive, it really helps to take the animal friend perk, cause he has a tendency of pissing of yao gauis that kill him in two hits or so. or do what i did and use a console code to make him essential :)
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

It's not practical but a lot of fun shooting the fat boy at everything.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I installed the lastest NVIDIA drivers...still craps out if AA is on ](*,)

However, the fact that I can go from SLI to dual monitor and back without rebooting rocks - it's about frickin' time.
Joe
InFuZiOn
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InFuZiOn »

I already flew through Fallout 3 once I bought it. I definitely loved the immense world and the freedom of will although it was hard to resist blowing a trader's head off to steal his caps then forgetting about it until the game started saving again.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Does anyone know when the expansion packs are due out? The one about Alaska sounds smooth.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Finding the doctor (your dad) is the meta-quest of the game. You can talk to a guy in the bar at Megaton to get a clue. If that doesn't help, check the science lab in the aircraft carrier.