Red Alert 3

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
CMcguire
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Red Alert 3

Post by CMcguire »

..ugh... i have had basically every command and conquer rts game since... well command and conquer the original way back when. I must say.. red alert 3 is by far THE WORST of any of the games so far...

Ok so i haven't finished game yet just done the soviet campaign... but I dont see things changing.. the co-commander stuff basically removes any tactical planning (in my opinion)... cause no matter what you do your co command will attack... you can tell them to take and hold a position but after maybe 5mins or less they lose interest and attack again. This wouldnt be so annoying except you share resources with them.... trying to accumulate resources.. good luck.. they'll just spend them. I wouldnt mind the co commander if it was like other games where essentially they are seperate players with different resource pool.. but if you play game single player you essentially end up with someone stealing your money... I feel like I am fighting with the co-commander for money. Want to build a big air armada and kick some ass... nope... ai commander is building subs and you end up with money ticking in slowly.. I just ended up having endless queues so at least i could build some units. Money only starts to accumulate properly so late in a mission that you no longer care because enemy is going to die soon anyway. No joy of building 100 infantry just watch them die when a tank rolls over them.. or other C+C things..

Now I know some people might say great co-op.. fine.. good for you.. but if I want to just play the game myself why the f-ck can't I.

I liked c+c 3... how the hell did they get it so wrong. Take out the co-commanders and the game might actually be ok.. (Though so far the fmvs arent as funny or fun as the other games.. I dont know but the professional actors just dont work as well as the unknowns they used to use).. at the moment I am just annoyed I was looking forward to playing RA 3 not any more.
System:
Antec p182 case, Q6600 at 3Ghz(well 2.99 333X9), 2 GB Corsair 8500, Intel Bad Axe 2 mobo, Thermalright Ultra-120 extreme; Creative Xtreme gamer; GTX 8800; Corsair 620HX PSU; WD raptor 150GB, Samsung 226BW monitor
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Red Alert 3

Post by kappage »

Yea ive got a few of the command and conquers, it just really got me interested in Company of Heroes, i still think even thought the online capabilities and flawed, that it is the best RTS since sliced bread Dark Reign.
Main Rig: C2D 6850 @ 3.0Ghz, 2Gb DDR2667Mhz @ 833Mhz 5-5-5-15 Timings , XFX xXx 8600GTS @ 730/2260 , Gigabyte Ga-945GCM-S2L
JukeBox: Currently in an Upgrade but im too lazy to do it at the moment
I² keepin it real
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

CnC3 used professional actors like Micheal Ironsides, half the cast of Battle Star Galactica, and Jennifer Morrison from House. So the big name actors don't bother me at all. I'm a huge Divof fan since way back with the Wishmaster movies. He plays a good Russian. Probably got the job from his stint on Lost.

I know what you mean about fighting you allies. The Russian campaign wasn't to bad. There were a couple of really rough missions, such as the one where you have to fight your own troops and the Allies on 3 fronts.

I'm wondering how well the game would work with 2 people in Co-Op mode. One could concentrate on base defense while the other attacks the enemy. Personally I've been very happy. The musics awesome, the graphics are very stylistic, and the AI can be brutal on ocassion.
bhelms
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by bhelms »

Lemme know if yall ever want to play, or still even play for that matter. A friend and I play on a regular basis, mainly online 2v2s and 1v1s though. We did the co-op thing, which was very fun but ended up going to online 2v2s and stuff pretty fast since that's where our main interests lie.

I agree it could have been made better. It isn't a huge change from RA2 and all, but it's still a blast and enough new stuff to keep me playing it (even if there wasn't new stuff, it probably wouldn't matter to me, as I haven't played RA2/YR in forever haha). Also, the Micromanagement is great, it really lets you dive into the gameplay.
EVGA 750i FTW // E8500 // EVGA GTX260 core216 OC // 4GB G.Skill DDR2 1066mhz // 150gb WD Raptor // Corsair TX 750w // Antec 1200