Laclede's LAN VII: St. Louis June 11th

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
sargentwolf
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Laclede's LAN VII: St. Louis June 11th

Post by sargentwolf »

hey all...

in case you didnt know, Lacledes Lan is back online and is having a lan party on June 11...if you are in the St Louis area and would like to go to a great lan, stop on by http://www.lacledeslan.com and check us out...

btw we were at warfactoy's last lan...
lacledeslan.com staff
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I changed the title from "st. louis lan" to "Laclede's LAN VII: St. Louis June 11th"

I'm going to be just getting back from China that week, so if the jet lag isn't bad I'll see if I can stop by. How many people you looking to come?
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

i WAS gonna go until i saw that there's a cs 1.6 tourney. i think i'll save my $12 and spare myself from the lan. if there was a cs:s tourney, i'd be there (and win).
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Why are you guys running CS 1.6? That makes no sense... A large number of the "elite" players in the community have changed over to CS:S, which is the real money game. I'd be highly interested in going if it was CS:S as that is what I have been playing since all the players migrated over months ago.
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

Apoptosis wrote:Why are you guys running CS 1.6? That makes no sense... A large number of the "elite" players in the community have changed over to CS:S, which is the real money game. I'd be highly interested in going if it was CS:S as that is what I have been playing since all the players migrated over months ago.
exactly
sargentwolf
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by sargentwolf »

ok thanks for switching that..

we are looking at right now 26 people have signed up, max of 55 or so....will update the closer we get to lan date

first up, the CS thing...

we decided to do a 1.6 tourny by haing a poll on our site and (to qoute ace) "...we will have plenty of people playing CS:S, including myself... ;) so don't feel it will be missing from the LAN, we simply are not able to get the CS:S tournament setup well in the time we have with what we have..."

it was a tie between 1.6 and having both 1.6 and a CS:S tourinies, but we decided to just do 1.6 for now

its not like we hate CS:S...in fact, thats all ive got by way of CS...(hl2 bronze account...)
lacledeslan.com staff
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

it's just kinda sad that you're going with 1.6, regardless of what the little high schoolers think. 1.6 attracts immature crowds and does away with furthering the caliber of a lan community. it's kinda like everyone getting rid of their athlon64 and picking up athlon xp just because it's what some other people like using.

it's newbish, in my opinion.
WF - Audiophile
Legit User
Legit User

Post by WF - Audiophile »

lol your response almost makes sense.......

Anyways, one reason to have a CS 1.6 is that all the "high school kids" cant afford to buy the computers to run CS:S. And more people is what the LAN event organizers look for.
Warfactory LAN admin
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I beg to differ with you on that. I've seen nVIDIA TI-4200 graphics cards run CS:S with the quality level reduced just fine. If the LAN has no internet then I agree 100% that 1.6 is the way to go, but if a connection is available then CS:S is the way to go.

From a gamers point of view
I've been to dozens of LAN parties around the world and never seen one get large that didn't play recent popular titles. I'm a gamer and I used to play in CAL-I and when the money games move over to new versions the rest of the gamers should follow. One of the best gamers in the world lives right here in missouri -- Fatal1ty. Would he drive over to STL to win a few hundred to play CS 1.6? Nope, he's not played that in months. He might, if it was CS:S though.

From a corporate point of view:

How can you run a LAN party running older games and expect to get sponsors? Sponsors are trying to market new hardware and software to consumers... If you are playing games not using their hardware and everyone at the LAN party is running 3-5 year old PC's then their is no need to sponsor the events because the companies wont see any return on their investment.
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

exactly. no one's gonna wanna join a lan community that plays crap like 1.6...
Topher
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Topher »

It's a sad day in nerdland that this argument still even continues to this day.
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

Topher wrote:It's a sad day in nerdland that this argument still even continues to this day.
HAHAHA :lol:
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Well at least people still argue about your game, no one wants to play command line with me ever :(
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

command what?
BEan
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by BEan »

If only there was a hl2 deathmatch torunament. Unfortantly, I am still not sure if i can go or not.
WF - Audiophile
Legit User
Legit User

Post by WF - Audiophile »

Apoptosis wrote:I beg to differ with you on that. I've seen nVIDIA TI-4200 graphics cards run CS:S with the quality level reduced just fine. If the LAN has no internet then I agree 100% that 1.6 is the way to go, but if a connection is available then CS:S is the way to go.

I've been to dozens of LAN parties around the world and never seen one get large that didn't play recent popular titles. I'm a gamer and I used to play in CAL-I and when the money games move over to new versions the rest of the gamers should follow. One of the best gamers in the world lives right here in missouri -- Fatal1ty. Would he drive over to STL to win a few hundred to play CS 1.6? Nope, he's not played that in months. He might, if it was CS:S though.

How can you run a LAN party running older games and expect to get sponsors? Sponsors are trying to market new hardware and software to consumers... If you are playing games not using their hardware and everyone at the LAN party is running 3-5 year old PC's then their is no need to sponsor the events because the companies wont see any return on their investment.
I completely agree with you, however.... I counted at least 5 geforce 2 or equivalent cards at the LAN we just held. No way is that gonna run HL2 at its worst level. - Thats where my comment was originating from.

I hate CS either way, WF has moved on to CS:S already for the next event. The trouble is finding a site big enough that isnt gonna take us for a ride on price that has an internet connection. Wee....

Also on a side note - this LL LAN is being coordinated by all LL staff only. Warfactory is just donating the use of the hardware to run the network. Games, Servers, and Tech Support is all LL.
Warfactory LAN admin
BEan
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by BEan »

Apoptosis wrote:I beg to differ with you on that. I've seen nVIDIA TI-4200 graphics cards run CS:S with the quality level reduced just fine. If the LAN has no internet then I agree 100% that 1.6 is the way to go, but if a connection is available then CS:S is the way to go.

As I see it, at a lan party I always enjoyed playing the latest games. I wouldn't mind playing some old-school titles like quake2, C&C (original), and GTA 1 (its free on the net). I don't see anything wrong with a mix of the old and the new. Just for the hell of it lets have a GTA1 tourney at the next lan.
ReverendMike
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by ReverendMike »

Get ready to be PWNED Sargent WOOF! :P
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

completely agree with you, however.... I counted at least 5 geforce 2 or equivalent cards at the LAN we just held.
If you read this article we did a hardware poll 2 LAN's ago at the WF LAN and this is what we turned up...

http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=158&pid=2

The majority of users are using newer video cards :)
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

until it shot craps couple days ago, I was running a fx5700 ultra.

even if it was still running I wouldnt play cs.