Quake 4 Screenshots, Story, & More

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quake 4 Screenshots, Story, & More

Post by Apoptosis »

When Quake 4 was announced nearly four years ago at QuakeCon 2001, ID never commented on a date that the title would be completed by. Today it is well rumored and known that the Quake 4 PC title will be out and played at QuakeCon 2005 in Dallas, Texas.

For those that don't know the story behind Quake this is where Quake 2 ended, and Quake 4 picks up:
Earth is under siege by an alien race. The Strogg are cybernetic warriors -- a mechanical frame and decaying body parts stabilized by flesh consumed in a systematic annihilation of other species and civilizations. In a desperate attempt to survive a Strogg attack on Earth, an armada of Earth's finest warriors is sent to take the battle to the Strogg home planet. Earth's initial assault force is nearly annihilated immediately, but one marine manages to infiltrate the base, bring down their planetary defense systems, and kill the Strogg's collective brain and leader -- the Makron. Earth assumed the destruction of the Makron would end it all, but it didn't.

That's where QUAKE II leaves off and QUAKE 4 begins.

The Strogg are quickly regrouping. However, with the Strogg's planetary defenses still destroyed, Earth's forces can deliver a full and final assault. This time, you're not alone. You are Matthew Kane, an elite member of Rhino Squad, and part of Earth's next invasion wave. An army of soldiers are fighting with you and an arsenal of weapons and vehicles are at your disposal in this heroic and epic battle between worlds.
When Kevin Long was asked about the enviroment of Quake 4 he said this:
I think we have a lot of diversity throughout the entire game. We have some dark areas, and we have outdoor areas that are brighter. I think how diverse everything is will really go a long way.
That is good news for all those who hated Doom 3's endless darkness. Many were thinking ID turned to the darkside and forgot lighting! Here are a couple more pictures of Quake 4... It does look a bit Doom 3ish to me still. What do you think?

Looks good, but still dark and reminds me of Doom 3 too much! Hope to see some screen shots of some brighter areas before it launches this summer.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Looks like doom3 with out the need for duct tape and flashlights :) i know im excited doom3 really just did not have enough to get me to really play it im more of a HL2 kinda guy but Quake looks interesting thats for sure.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
fortytwo
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by fortytwo »

I'm just glad to see that Quake is back in the game. (No pun intended.)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

some more general info on Quake 4:

- Quake 4 is a direct sequel to Quake 2, takes place just hours after the event of that game.
- During most of the game, you are fighting with other marines, however there will be solo missions.
- Some missions take place inside, others outside. You'll get to use vehicles at times.
- You're part of a military campaign attacking the Strogg homeworld.
- Returning weapons so far: blaster, machine gun, nailgun, shotgun.
- Multiplayer: "The multiplayer experience is more akin to Quake III: Arena", no vehicles.
- "With Doom 3 it was horror. With Quake IV, it's war."
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

meh... looks like doom3...
BEan
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by BEan »

Apoptosis wrote: - Multiplayer: "The multiplayer experience is more akin to Quake III: Arena", no vehicles.
considering that I won't pick this up