E3 2005 Coverage: The Real Xbox 360

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

E3 2005 Coverage: The Real Xbox 360

Post by Apoptosis »

Finally we get to see the Xbox 360 up close and in person! (minus the big glass case & the body guard seen on the right side) Looks pretty sweet looking, but still not stackable with other electronic devices. Time will tell how consumers like the looks as they start to hit the market!

Hope you enjoy a real picture finally!
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Anyone hear whether or not the new system will be backwards compatible with the old XBOX games? It would really suck if they aren't :x ...I hear the new Playstation will be able to play the PS2 games.
Joe
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

not really... Microsoft told us this: Although the Xbox 360 will be backward-compatible it won't necessarily run all of the older Xbox titles but instead, run the "top-selling" games.

It would be a marketing disaster if it doesn't support 99% of the XBOX games already on the market. People will hold off on the XBOX 360 if they can't play many of their current XBOX tittles!
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I guess Microsoft didnt learn their backwards compatability lesson with Office 97 afterall.... kinda disappointing.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

From everything the reps were saying at E3, it will be backwards compatible. We will see how much water this holds when it's released though. I must say that looking at it and seeing the in-game demos really makes me want to buy one....

...or a PS3. :)

'DP
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Microsoft doesnt learn the inform, the have informed us that we have to buy a new consul and new games for it, and they have informed us that some of our old games will still work.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

infinitevalence wrote:Microsoft doesnt learn the inform, the have informed us that we have to buy a new consul and new games for it, and they have informed us that some of our old games will still work.
Well said.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

woah... what drugs are you on?
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

If it isn;t backwards compatible, I'll prolly go the way of the PS3. I chose the XBOB originally because I liked the internal HD rather than relying on memory sticks. It's pretty cool to be able to add your own music to games. I'll have to compare the specs of the 2 offerings...
Joe
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

you should go for the ps3 ANYWAYS. why? because it's far superior to the xbox 360, that's why. every game demo/trailer they sony showed at e3 on monday was what the gameplay will look like.... not only that, but various developers have figured out how to do what ps2 already did recently -- make games render way better than they should with the given hardware. it's hard to imagine the ps3 becoming even MORE badass than killzone in the future, but that's what they're promising and i believe it.
WF - Audiophile
Legit User
Legit User

Post by WF - Audiophile »

audiophile wrote:you should go for the ps3 ANYWAYS. why? because it's far superior to the xbox 360, that's why. every game demo/trailer they sony showed at e3 on monday was what the gameplay will look like.... not only that, but various developers have figured out how to do what ps2 already did recently -- make games render way better than they should with the given hardware. it's hard to imagine the ps3 becoming even MORE badass than killzone in the future, but that's what they're promising and i believe it.
lmfao

First of all, you do remember the PS2 launch yes? The screenshots that were released claimed to be real-time graphics but in the end they were lying. Out came the ps2 and disappointment followed (i was one of them). Now with PS3 they already proved that two of the demos released were not real-time results and somehow i am not surprised. Plus the PS3 is slated for next year, the xbox is slated for this year. If that happens, guess who is going to get a head start on marketshare.

I love how people start bashing other equipment even when they have never seen it themselves. Screenshots are one thing, but thanks to marketing and a gullible public I cant believe any of that anymore.

I am a PS1 - 2 fan, but saying the PS3 is better then the Xbox is just stupid.
Warfactory LAN admin
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

i disagree. i dont think it's stupid to make that claim.

one of the reasons you could tell that killzone's demo was probably in-game was because you were in 1st person for most of it. also, the hardware can handle that stuff.

screenshots are also different from demos. yeah, there are a couple demos that were shown that were cinimatics (i.e. tekken), but i honestly think that the ps3 will be far superior than the xbox360. even when it comes out a year later, it will have better publicity/recognition, more anticipation, more developer support, more peripherals, and more aesthetic appeal than the xbox360 will. i'd probably go out on a limb and say many people will sell their xbox360 in order to buy the ps3.

sony > micro$oft

aside from the ps3 having hardware 2x better than the xbox360, it is more backwards-compatible.... xbox is only backwards-compatible with the top-selling games.

*shrug* my opinion still stands... stupid or not.

by the way, did you see that video with the various vorticies of rustling autumn leaves and how the cell processor on the ps3 was powerful enough to have an audio channel for each individual leaf? that is just mindboggling. there had to have been thousands of leaves on that little demo.