Quake 4 1.05 Beta update/patch released for download

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quake 4 1.05 Beta update/patch released for download

Post by Apoptosis »

Quake 4 1.05 Beta update has been released for download this week. This is mostly a threading patch for Quake 4. Go to idsoftware and download either the Windows or Linux patch. If you play Quake 4 and use an Intel processor this update is something you will like a 25% - 87% performance increase. If you don't have Quake 4 and are interested in getting it check out our live pricing.
This update is recommended for Windows users with Intel Hyper-Threading Technology (HT Technology) enabled processors, multiple processors, or systems with a dual core processor. The update is also required for Windows and Linux server admins as it addresses a recently identified problem with servers left unoccupied for very long periods of time (these servers will appear to be operating normally, but will crash clients that attempt to connect to them). This update will bring any previous version of the game (1.0.0 or 1.0.4) up to date and will not affect pure server, PunkBuster compatibility or protocol consistency.

id Software and Raven have worked with Intel to dramatically improve QUAKE 4 performance on systems with HT Technology, multiple processors, or dual core processors. Players who have a system with one of these configurations will notice performance gains in QUAKE 4 of anywhere from 25% - 87% depending on processor type. If you do not know whether or not you have a multi-processor, dual core, or HT Technology enabled system, please see the ReadMe file for simple instructions on checking your system. Please use the form at http://www.idsoftware.com/bugs/ to report any issues you find with the 1.0.5 update.

Here are some test instructions for those of you who like to benchmark:

1. Install Quake4 with default installation settings.
2. Download and install the Quake4 patch to enable SMP support for multi-core systems.
3. Place your mytimedemo.demo file in the Quake4\q4base\demos directory within Program Files.
4. Launch Quake4 by double-clicking the Quake4 icon on your desktop.
5. After Quake4 has loaded, type ‘~’ to bring up the command console.
6. In the command console, type ‘r_useSMP 1’ to enable SMP support. Alternatively, type ‘r_useSMP 0’ if you want to turn off SMP support.
7. Type ‘timedemo mytimedemo’ to start your timedemo.
8. When the time demo has finished running, you will see a dialog box with FPS performance.
Last edited by Apoptosis on Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

wow, will patch it promptly :axe:
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Sweet!!!

Anyone know when F.E.A.R will be releasing a patch for dual core support???
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I thought the retail version of F.E.A.R. did support dual core CPU's.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Apoptosis wrote:I thought the retail version of F.E.A.R. did support dual core CPU's.
I thought you posted a while back that Fear, quake 4 and mayby some other games will be patched for dual core cpu's?????
ie. have yet to be patched!

I haven't read any release notes for Fear so :?
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Does the site get $ if you click on the live pricing link? I clicky'd a few times ;)
Joe
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Vstrom wrote:Does the site get $ if you click on the live pricing link? I clicky'd a few times ;)
I think only if you actually buy something when you click through the links.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook