Banned from Origin forums, Lose Games

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
oasis789
Legit User
Legit User

Banned from Origin forums, Lose Games

Post by oasis789 »

From Rock Paper Shotgun: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12 ... e-edition/
I’m building up quite the portfolio of affected gamers, who find after a forum violation they’re unable to access their Origin games. And within this is a more disturbing trend – those who are finding that their forum bans are, without explanation, becoming permanent bans. Permanent bans from accessing their Origin accounts, their Battlelog accounts, and therefore downloading purchased games, and playing online. Something which obviously raises serious questions about consumer rights, which is of course another angle we’re currently investigating.

Most exceptional perhaps is Aaron, who after receiving a 72 hour ban was told by EA support they couldn’t help because “the game developers control this”. Pardon? His crime? Someone else swearing on the forum, with his username in their post. Trying the live chat support instead, he was then informed that his account was permanently banned, and that “all property, items, and characters associated currently are or will soon be deleted.” Followed by, “Is there anything else I can do for you?” Aaron tried again, pointing out that forum bans shouldn’t affect games. And then came this incredible reply:

“Please be informed that your account not only suspended, But it is also Banned, So you will no longer to play the game in single player.”
If you use Origin, don't post on the forums. Or don't use Origin.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Banned from Origin forums, Lose Games

Post by Skippman »

Well, this is distrubing.

I was opposed to Origin for a variety of reasons, mostly because I don't see the need for ANOTHER digital distrobution system (Turbine, Steam, now Origin too?). But if what you've posted is true, I really need to sit down and read the "Terms of Service" and the "Software License Agreement". What's to stop them from banning you just to force you to buy the game over? And even if you DO by the game over, are you running the risk of being banned again?

I was already upset about BF3 switching to a browser based game lobby as opposed to the one from BF2 which worked great.
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hark »

EA has a lot to learn before they can compete with Steam...
omegadoom13
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by omegadoom13 »

yeah, this sounds pretty extreme.... I would understand bans from games if you're outright cheating with hacks, bots, etc. I totally welcome those bans because I absolutely detest those who cheat in games, ruining everyone's experience that moment.