Video Game Sales Down Five Months Straight

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Fogey »

Bigblockmatt: Thank you. You hit it pretty much on the head. I have over 100 different PC games here. I only have five I really like to play. SS2 my favorite bar none. For its time , it was awesum. Then Halo and Half-life2. Doom 3 and Fear ore OK. The rest I have, well, plain Jane, ho hum.

Games are going the way of movies. To much dependance on special effects for movies, games are going towards more eye candy. The story line isn't there, The creativity is on the sidelines as the push is on for making more money. $50.00 for a clone of another $50.00 clone game with a little better eye candy is only going to suck someone in for only so long. Greed is overtaking creativity. Creativity with a great story line should be number one. Make a great game and the $$ will follow. Most of the gaming companies have it the other way around. I got so sick of this kind of BS I sent Ken Levine an E mail a couple years back telling him Id donate $250.00 towards another SS sequal, no string attacheted. He said thanks, but turned my offer down. His team has been working on Bio Shock and they just got taken/bought out by another gaming producer.
This is just the tip of the iceburg of what I could say, but I'll let it be. If only I could hit the Lottery big. So long Linework, hello game development.

Thanks
Flux
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Lots o' Reasons

Post by Flux »

1.) Hype of next-gen consoles like PS3 and XBOX360
2.) Games with long dev cycles and short value. The industry need to focus on content, not eye candy.
3.) $. Long dev cycles means they must charge more for it.
4.) Does this include online sales systems like Steam? If not, then that's another reason.
5.) MMOs.
jtm55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jtm55 »

Hi All,

As someone who plays mostly Simulators the complete Silent Hunter series including Mods created by the Sub Sim Community, as well as Filight Sims. there really isn't much out there that'll make me want to spend my hard earned coin. Games that are either half baked or just won't run. Highly overpriced, not to mention what so many of you have already mentioned as far as the price for the equipment to play them on.

As an avid Sub & Flight Sim player I don't need the latest or greatest to play said sims with most if not all the eye candy turned on, although IL-2 Sturmovik is a notable exception. In addition, we have the benefit of some very talented people who make Major mods & improvements over the originals extending the replay value of the Sim.
Mortious
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Mortious »

TK421 wrote:Anyone else have any high hopes for up and coming games? Particularly RPGs and MMOs?
Like I said in my original post, Oblivion has my eye. But it too has fallen into the delayed category, with luck however they are delaying it to make it that much better (less bugs...).

However...

I have seen the posted min specs for Oblivion, and ouch...

I may just be playing WoW for a bit longer..