Half-Life 2:Episode One

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!

Do you like the episode style that Valve is going for?

Yes
58%
No
25%
I like pie!
17%

Total votes: 12

Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Half-Life 2:Episode One

Post by Bwall »

Episode One aka Aftermath information here:
http://www.steampowered.com/Steam/Marke ... ?l=english

I know a few of you aren't huge fans of HL2 but I enjoyed the game a lot. 4-6 hours is a little short though and I'm wondering what kind of price we are going to have to pay for this little stroll through the next chapter in Half-Life.

What do you think?
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

When HL2 drops in price I'll get it, but I am in no hurry.
Topher
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Topher »

I'm sure they will price it accordingly. Personally I think this is the new model that most blockbuster games will eventually move to. At the speed technology moves and the amount of time it takes to craft a full size game, by the time the game is released, the underlying engine is already out of date.

Sure, you can continue to add new functionality and enhancements to the engine thorough the development process. That is, if you want to force your developers to have to periodically go back and re-craft levels to make use of the new enhancements. That’s hardly what I'd call an "efficient" development model.

I think Valve is right on the mark with this move. Let’s just hope they really do price it right. For me, I think I'd probably pay as high as $10 for 4 to 5 hours of gaming. Hell, that's a lot cheaper than paying $8 to see a 2 hour movie with absolutely no replay value unless you buy the DVD at around $16 or so.

How much would you guys pay per episode?
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

I think it should be good but 4-6hrs of gameplay??? Way to short.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
Topher
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Topher »

I believe people think that's too short because we are used to games being as long as they are now. Games are becoming more and more like movies with high end budgets and long development cycles.

I can see a day in the future where games are more like interactive movies. Between 2 to three hours in length with very high quality production.
Heretic
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Heretic »

Half-Life 2 was fun...but there's no way I'm giving Valve any more of my money for a few more hours of content. The game took them 6 years to develop and took me about 10-12 hours to beat :/.
SlipSand
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by SlipSand »

I like being able to swap games with my friends. Stupid Steaming pile of Poo ruined my fun. So not cool.

Stupid idea release the stuff as an EXP for free for once so we dont hafta DL everything for 5 hours. :axe:
Flux
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

price/content/story

Post by Flux »

I think if it has a reasonable price for the content and has a good plot/story, then it's like watching episodic shows. If you'll pay 0.99 for a song or 1.99 for a show, then you'll love this.
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Fogey »

Ah yes, a way to get the cash stream to flow on a more regular basics, instead of the monsoon-drought climate we now have with game sales via CD/DVD.

As for Alyx, they can keep Her, I'd prefer the DOG! Several times in HL-2, She would just get in my way. I'd prefer She sit on the sidelines and watch.
If that's not Her style, she can model the Nude hack. This way, While Shes in the Buff, the Combine will be watching Her while I have my gun sights on them. Then it will be real team play. Oh yeah Baby!!!

If the next chapter will be based on what I saw in Lost coast, well ^>:.
Antonik
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Antonik »

Tim Burton wrote:When HL2 drops in price I'll get it, but I am in no hurry.
I want to catch it for 20$ because I really miss CS:S